Register now to get rid of these ads!

pontiac convertible top for '65 impala

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rivera, Oct 28, 2010.

1. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

quick question guys, found a deal on a '65-'68 pontiac convertible top and was wondering if it would work on my '65 impala ss convertible. the part number on the pontiac top is 4506711 if that helps. if you guys need any more clarification let me know. thanks in advance.

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

65 to 68 Pontiac WHAT!

3. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

4. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Unless you're going after the structural parts, it looks like you'd be better off going to a top shop and having one made. By the time you get that one stretched out and having the current and future tears repaired you'll have just as much time and money into it. Just my 2¢

5. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

sorry, just want to know if the convertible frames are interchangeable, thanks.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So your frame is bad or what. DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS.

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Didn`t see that last post. Will call tomarrow to see if they have the same part numbers on the tops.

8. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Your best bet, other than finding a GM convertible expert, is consult a Hollander parts interchange catalog. Your local library might have a copy that covers your model years. I don't know for sure if the Hollanders would cover convertible parts or not but it's worth a try. Find a HAMBer that does, if possible.

HAMBer Max Gearhead replied to a recent post I made and said he had them up to the '80s, send him a PM so see if he'd help.

9. I just checked my Hollander and it doesn't show any interchanges for the actual tops but does say that the lift assembly, hydraulic cylinders & mechanical actuators, fits all full size GM convertibles from 65-68. Hope this helps.

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The 65 Impala conv top(FABRIC) has the same part number as all fullsize Pontiacs 65-70. The frames may vary in design.

11. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

65 Impalas have two types of frames, the main difference being in the front bow. (Found this out the hard way.) There are some interchanges with other GM family models, but it's been too long for me to remember.

12. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

thanks for the replies. max, the seller did state that in the ad, hopefully the impala falls into the 'full size gm convertible' category.

13. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

trying this out one more time to see if i can get a definite answer.

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Since Impalas and Catalinas share the same body shell, I'd say yes. Unless you know for sure it's from a "B" body car, I'd say you'd betty buy it cheap enough to not be disspointed if it's from a Lemans or GTO!

15. rivera

rivera
    from Ogden, UT

The part number has a '67' and the Impala is a '65. I believe it might be from the Catalina. Would the 67 in the part number indicate its from a '67 Catalina? If so, are they the same body shell in 65-67? Thanks.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think the only top frames that are different are the caddy,olds 98 and the buick electra as them might be a little longer then the rest. I think the impala,lesabre,88 and catalina are all the same and should be the same from 65 to 68.

17. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

Bonnevilles are longer the Cats. For full size Pontiacs there were two wheelbases, three trunk lengths and a few other odd things. A Cat has is 18 feet long, a Bonneville (non station wagon) is 222 inches long. There is a difference between the trunk lengths of the two cars and can vary even more due to body style. Be careful, compare the measurements before you buy.

18. Wicked50

Wicked50

You should ask this question on Layitlow.com its a lowrider forum I'm sure theres someone there that would know.