Register now to get rid of these ads!

old auto manufactured home appliances. lets see them!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BadassBadger, Oct 29, 2010.

1. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

as you all may or may or may not know back in the hey day of hot rodding most of the big manufactures went off and started putting their name on home appliances. now 50+ years later many people still use them in there garage or shop just so you have more vintage car related stuff in it that and cuz they look cool.

anyways post what you have, or had, or what your parents or friends had back in the day!
    i'm sure we will hear some good and funny stories!

i will start off by saying my grand parents have a general motors fridge in the shed to store butchered meat! although i pried the big emblem off years ago and lost it!
    also i have many old ford appliance adds!

also hear are some pics

[​IMG]
    international harvester fridge

[​IMG]
    gm freezer

[​IMG]
    heres an old ford fridge add!

2. Richard/SIA

Richard/SIA
    from No. Nevada

Used to have a Crosley refrigerator out in my old shop.

Still working fine when I moved away.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great idea for a thread! Many companies that made household items went the other way and started to manufacture cars. The White Sewing Macine Co in Cleveland, Ohio made the White steam cars, one of the best ever, later made gas cars, and finally switched to trucks.

4. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

We went to the local appliance store a couple years ago to get a new oven. This is a small independent guy we buy our stuff from, not a big box store.
    He had a Crosley oven in there. Very basic. I really wanted that one, but Mrs. Von Dago wanted something fancier. She won that one. LOL

We still have a Borg Warner toilet in the upstairs bath. I need to put a white shift knob on the lever.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I had a 220 window AC witha chevy logo on it, can anyone confirm they made these or did someone have too much time on their hands?:)

6. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

I pulled the Chrysler Tempstar badge off of an old Air Conditioning Condenser I changed out 20 years ago. It now resides on my tool chest.:D

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Not sure if it was made by Ford Motor Co but I just junked a Ford Water Heater that had to be at least 40 years old. Stone lined and Heavy! Jim

8. lawman

lawman

So cool !! Tom (Tired Old Man)

9. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

GM owned Frigidaire for many years.

10. Slonaker

Slonaker

I have a window A/C unit in the old farmhouse I just bought. It has the Ford logo on it. It looks like it has been around a while, but it still blows cold air.

Slonaker

11. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Changed a few chrysler hvac systems out...

12. Ole don

Ole don

Kelvinator refrigerators and Nash cars had the same door opening handles in the early 50's. To many kids were killed in old refrigerators, so they made all the doors with magnetic closers.

13. LaSalle Gearbox

LaSalle Gearbox
    from ohio

International Harvester built their own, as opposed to badging from some other manufacturer. Got into that business sort of naturally because they made milk coolers for dairy farms. Dealers sold both refrigerators and chest-type freezers along with trucks, tractors and farm equipment.
    We had a freezer in the kitchen when I was a kid. It was near the radiator so it was a good place to sit in the winter - with your feet on the radiator.

14. This thread makes me kick myself again! My great aunt had a cherry little General Motors refrigerator that I could have got for nothing but I just didn't think I wanted it in my way! It had a cool GM emblem on front. It would have bee a cool touch in the shop now with my early Pontiacs. Why do we do dumb things?

15. We lived in Cincinnati when I was a kid in the fifties. Not only did my dad drive a Crosley, mom had a bunch of Crosley appliances. They still have the Crosley radio they bought new in 1955. It works and looks better than I do.

16. Here's my shop fridge, 1953 Crosley Shelvador. Wish I had the little Crosley pickup my dad had a few years back still...... Don't mind the terrible Ratfink, he's been rubbed off. It was a waterbased paintjob just messing with the airbrush while bored.

[​IMG]

17. Weasel

Weasel

We had an old late 1940s Kelvinator which lasted right into the 70's and was still going strong but got hauled off to the trash simply because it was old.:(

[​IMG]

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

When I bought my house, the oil/hot water furnace was GM, with a nice badge. I was looking forward to examining that...but I never got to see it again! The poor thing froze, cracked, and was replaced before I actually closed and took possesion. Never got to look it over and figure out when it was made.

19. BadassBadger

BadassBadger
    from wisconsin

thanks!

20. My current fridge is a Kelvinator, though I'm sure it's only "badge engineered". Bought from a big box store about 10 years ago.

About 25 years ago, had a Chrysler AirTemp window a/c unit. Might have been built in what is now the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green which had previously been an AirTemp factory.

Used to like to visit a friend of mine on the weekends whose dad had an old International Harvester fridge in their attached garage. It was brush painted gold metallic and had a hole bored thru the door for a tap and an 8 gallon keg of Michelob. One of then there "Keg-O-Rators" I guess.:rolleyes:

21. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

And I have one that still freezes the beer....:D

Attached Files:

22. When my brother started working at Stelco in the early seventies he bough the family's first colour TV - Philco Ford - my dad hated Fords, but liked hockey on the colour box!

23. My parents bought a new International Harvester refrigerator identical to the one pictured in the first post of this thread when they built their house in 1947. In the late '50's, my parents bought a newer and larger capacity refrigerator (a Kelvinator) and gave the old IH refrigerator to Mother's youngest sister and her husband who were in need of a refrigerator. They used the old IH for years before Aunt Earline got a newer one, and Uncle Teed moved the old IH refrigerator out to his garage/workshop. Don't know how many refrigerators my parents owned over the years, but that old 1947 IH is still in my cousin's garage and still working.

24. Canuck

Canuck

The data plate on Nash cars in the late 40s showed the manufacturer as Nash-Kelvinator, so is that a auto manufacturer making appliances of t appliance manufaturer making cars?

Canuck

25. ems customer service

ems customer service

The HUPP CORP. began as a car maker and then was revitalized as an appliance and heating-system manufacturer. In 1908 the Hupmobile Corp. began producing the Hupmobile car in Detroit and came to Cleveland in 1928 to manufacture a low-priced version of its automobile. Hupp turned out 6,000 auto bodies and a variety of other parts monthly and assembled the cars at 17325 Euclid Ave., former home of the defunct CHANDLER-CLEVELAND MOTORS CORP. During the Depression only Hupp bodies were made here and when the Detroit company failed to recover by 1940, automobile production was discontinued. Hupmobile, called Hupp Corp. after 1946, moved its headquarters to Cleveland, where it produced freezers, air-conditioning units, and soft-drink dispensers at its 1250 E. 76th St. plant, acquired in 1944.

After 1955, when the company was bought and managed by John O. Ekblom, Hupp diversified, taking over 7 companies within a year and increasing its workforce from 400 to 4,000. As a result of internal development and further acquisitions, Hupp's business was 45% air-conditioning and heating systems, 35% appliances, and 20% aviation and auto parts and hydraulics by 1960. In 1967 Hupp became part of WHITE CONSOLIDATED INDUSTRIES, INC. and Hupp's Hercules Engine Works was sold to WHITE MOTOR CORP. In 1986 White Consolidated sold Hupp to Blaw-Knox Corp. of Pittsburgh, which had also been part of White at one time. As a division of Blaw-Knox, the firm maintained its facilities at 1135 Ivanhoe Rd. where it employed 340 workers, making automotive climate control systems and light commercial air conditioning equipment. In 1990 Blaw-Knox sold Hupp to Sunderland Industrial Holdings Corp., a Washington financial holding company who reorganized it as Hupp Industries, Inc. Hupp Industries filed for bankruptcy under Chapter 11 in Nov. 1991, a move attributed to improper pricing of its products. At that time the company had assets of $27.3 million and liabilities of $28.9 million.

26. flat_mountain

flat_mountain

Well, it's not an automated appliance but we have a Cadillac brand garbage can in the shop. I'll have to get a picture of it. It's diamond plate steel with the Cadillac emblem stamped into it. Only one I've ever seen and looks like it was made in the Fifties or earlier...any one have any info on when Cadillac may have made these or licensed some one to make them?

27. alota people remembering the units.. but not too many pictures.. I wanna see some pictures :)

28. B Blue

B Blue

Sorry, no pictures, just a small correction. Crosley is an example of an appliance manufacturer that made a car, not the other way around. A failed early auto manufacturer, Powell Crosley went into radio manufacturing, then broadcasting and made a fortune. He then made the Crosley car, which was a commercial failure.

His enduring legacy is WLW, 700 A.M.

Bill

29. PhilR

PhilR
    from Canada

Now some pictures :)
    I have a few GM Frigidaire kitchen appliances from the 1960's.

1963 Imperial frost proof refrigerator with bottom freezer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A 1962 Custom Imperial Flair range and Frigidaire vent hood and a 1963 Frigidaire Imperial frost proof refrigerator
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1960 Frigidaire Deluxe range
    [​IMG]

1964 Frigidaire Imperial frost proof refrigerator with bottom freezer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1968-69 Frigidaire refrigerator (I gave this one to my uncle, he uses it as a beer fridge)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]