Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bent I-Beam Axle-What To Do

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodsontheblvd, Oct 28, 2010.

1. hotrodsontheblvd

hotrodsontheblvd
    from Tennessee

Cleaned up and blasted my 34 Ford axle this morning,found out it is bent.
    What to do ?. It looks to have been snatched out of a ditch sometime in the last seven decades. It has a big 3/16 gap when axle is laying flat on table.Will it take a 100 ton press to bend back (cold) if so I will have to send it out to be repaired. Can it be bent back with a frame machine?
    Thanks for info.
    Morris

2. 117harv

117harv

It is great steel just put it in a press and sneak up on it slowly so you don't go too far.

3. 3/16 is not that much. I would use it as is.

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

You got to think it didnot take 100 tons to bend it. Just a tow chain and a truck or another car.

5. hotrodsontheblvd

hotrodsontheblvd
    from Tennessee

Would something around a 20 ton press work?
    I may be able to come up with something in that tonnage range.
    I know this is a difficult question, but sounds as if you have done this before.

6. 6inarow

6inarow

Send it to Sid

7. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

it takes about 10 tons to bend it. no big deal.

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

A tree that will fit inside the axle wishbone assembly with the perch pins dropped in place, a truck with a tow hitch and a come-along.

9. hotrodsontheblvd

hotrodsontheblvd
    from Tennessee

I know 3/16 isn't much but it looks like a lot when laying flat. It may actually be 1/4" I just guessed at gap. You can see a crook in forging mark on I-beam when looking down it from end to end.

10. If you do the tree option please tape it so if the tree falls on your truck we can watch it.:p

11. 6inarow

6inarow

12. hotrodsontheblvd

hotrodsontheblvd
    from Tennessee

Good information, now I have a direction. I was told it would take a 100 ton press to bend axle back in shape, was planning on sending it out to someone who had a press.
    Now I plan on straighten the axle myself thanks to all the info I have received tonight.

13. Find a shop that aligns big trucks. They will probably have the equipment needed to straighten it.

Charlie Stephens

14. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I have used a C clamp and some heat to straighten mine. Mine was about 1/4 out and all I did was put the ends up on some 1-2-3 blocks clamped it to my work bench. Heated with a rose bud around 550 deg and started cranking on a big C-clamp in the middle. Took some time but it worked for me

15. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

There isn't a car axle that I know of you can't bend with a 10 ton jack and a chain.

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Sounds like you’ve done that :D

17. You can have it straightened at a place that repairs suspensions for BIG trucks- they still run straight axels.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  18. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

the truck shops have a threaded clamp type thing they use they can do it right on the car call around before you get to uptight i'm sure its an easy thing to fix you might want to check at an alignment shop to check the alignment it may be bent like that for a reason thats how the camber adjustments are made on straight axles in trucks

19. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Mine had a 3/4" bow in it and we straightened it with a 50,000 lb press. You have to go farther than the bend because it will spring back