Register now to get rid of these ads!

Licenseplate.tv vs Calif DMV

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roll of the dices, Oct 26, 2010.

1. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

They are hip to that- I mentioned earlier they don't let you run old sequences on new personal plates.

2. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

when the cop busts you he knows exactly what the first 10 excuses will be! And yours is the first. gggg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  3. deto

deto

A guy I met at Ventura had them on his car. He said he never gets hassled cuz as far as the cops seem to know, the plates match the registration. Having cool and not so legit plates on it for the streets are a risk that I would be willing to take. I'm ordering my plates Friday.

If I were to get a real asshole cop, he would probably start measuring my winshield or bitch about the exhaust. I would be stoked If he took the plates and that was it...

4. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

They WILL take the plates... with the car still attached to them! Ever see what can happen to a car at an impound yard? Had a car recovered after it was stolen totally intact- saw the car with my own eyes- it was stripped to a skeleton at the tow yard in one day.

5. Amen to that!!! Same thing happened to me, it was stolen for a joy ride until they ran out of gas....It was perfect, no a scratch on it, I saw it my buddy saw it. It was late Saturday so for some reason or another, they won't release it until Monday. Comes Monday I show up with a gas can and all...damn people asked me if I was going to torch the car since it was the last thing left to do to it......IT WAS DOWN TO THE BARE FRAME!!!! WTF!
    That's why when you guys talked about imppounding for plates...you are slapping me to reality, I am still recovering from the side effects of that experience.

6. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Well, when I went and got my YOM plates approved for my 29 all the lady did was not the condition of the plates on the paperwork and took some black and white "photos" with the copy machine that didn't even show the whole plate.

She then made sure and noted on the paperwork what the color of both the plate background and letters were. She was concerned with the plates color matching the legal color. IE, orange instead of yellow.

It took a long time to hear back on approval, I think it took about four months before we heard anything on them.

Our plates are un-restored and have a small amount of rust and age on them, but really are in pretty good shape.

One reason I know some people think of running the faux plates are the YOM plates run an extra 35 or 45 a year to run, something I didn't know when I did it.

Cheers
    RustyNCA

[​IMG]

7. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I've owned 14 vehicles for which I've ran YOM plates. I've tried every possible combination of originals, restored, reproductions, you name it, to have approved and it all depends on the DMV office, you apply, and the Tech that handles your request. Before you buy a set of restored or good original plates, call California's DMV "Special Processing" @ 916-657-7606 and make sure they are clear. Just because the plates have not been on a registered car for several years does not make them "cleared" plates. YOM and "personalized" are property of the original applicant and can be retained for use on future cars or transferred to a new owner. This is where it gets tricky. The DMV wants $20.00 a year to retain plate ownership. If you dont pay this and 3 years go by, doesnt mean this plate is clear. The DMV's data base only states that a plate number is "in use" or it doesnt show up at all. The DMV in California only flushes their system about every 5 years so the original YOM applicant may have ownership locked up if he doesnt submit a "Release Of Interest" form. This has happened to me. Okay, so you only have a single YOM plate and you think you can beat the system by using that number and getting "personalized" plates that would match and hence letting you run that single original plate on the back..... It aint going to happen. You CANNOT get a personalized plate with a combination of letters and numbers that replicate a prior series. If you tell me you have done it in California, I'd have to see proof for I have tried it twice. As far as reproductions plates, I run them alot. I always have the original plates in possession but after having a $400.00 1947 motorcycle plate, stolen off my Knuck, at a bike show and loosing a '51 plate on a trip to Paso, I now use reproduction plates. If the right guy stamps it, using the correct font stamps, they are indistinguishable from a restored original. And please dont ask me who does my plates. We all know it's highly frowned upon by the government.

8. Answer to that in EVERY state that allows YOM plates is
    NO!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

9. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

The ONLY sure way to clear plates is to go in or call them in California.
    Using the vanity plates order screen online doesn't check all the various places they store the different types of plates, (YOM, Special, etc). When you call in they check several places (if your're lucky enough to get someone who REALLY knows what they are doing). I put my own 1932 set online ( that have been registered as YOM plates for 5 years ) and the numbers came up available for vanity plates. You also can't make vanity plates with the 3 letter 3 number configuration of the 1956 through 1969 plates.

Its been my experience that they don't take your current plates since you'll need them to drive the car while waiting 2 months (or more) for them to ok your application, plus there is no guarantee it will pass, so they can't take your current plates.

10. OK, you are right, you can lie and say you don't have them. You can get arrested for having old plates and not destroying them as outlined in 205.10(b). I know, I spent a few hours in Newport Beach's Gray Bar Hotel for having a collection of plates and street sign's on the wall of the garage. It was a felony and we eventually got them to drop the charges (It wasn't my house so they couldn't prove they were mine). I realize this is very rare, but it did happen. The DA admonished the cop for wasting tax payers time and money, but I still got to visit the jail!

11. Eight433

Eight433

Damn they're strict out there! and 40 bucks MORE to run YOM? Here in MI, I took a picture of the plates I wanted to run (that I bought on Ebay for 15 bucks shipped in nearly like new condition) and sent them a picture of the plates, a form they have you fill out with vehicle information, a copy of the vehicle title, and a check for 35 bucks. About 3 weeks later I got the new registraion, good for the LIFE of the vehicle until sold or scrapped. Man, I love the midwest...

12. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

California needs the money to pay for the fancy graffiti abatement trucks, that work 24/7, to clean up the shit the Homies write everywhere.

13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

In Colorado, YOM registration is FREE!

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Good one :D ^^^

New / whatever they give me plates are soundin real good

15. Can anyone tell me what should be serial letter/number combo for a Commercial plate for my 51 truck, or guide me to a website where I can find such info? Thx

16. calorchard

calorchard

17. studhud

studhud

Ya what he said!!!!

That is about it! DMV people cant tell OG plate from a good repo one or a cop for that matter. If done right nobody can tell! On the other hand these repo licenseplate.tv plates are OK but not exact. Ya just have to use a little common sense.
    Dave Hitch

18. i just got 1 in the mail today, they can do commercial plates and custom commercial. i was worried about my commercial '51 plates being stolen (a clear set is upwards of $600) so i had them copy my legal issued ones. the "1951 california" font is ok but the size it slightly too big. plus the '51 plates were not issued in aluminum and that's all lincense plate tv does is aluminum.........and the dmv checks them (my '47 plates almost didn't pass because the had a lot of paint on them and they're aluminum-issued from cal). i would hunt down a set of restorable ones and try to run them threw or restore them first. i bought my set from a vendor at pomona for $125, look for the ones that have a "BE" or "PC" instead of "COMM" on the side, they're sometimes cheaper and california recognizes them as commercial.

19. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Do you mind posting a picture of the '51 plate from licenseplate.tv, 1oldtimer?

20. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

When I registered my restored 32 plates- the 1st thing the supervisor did was check them with a refer magnet. Then they open a book to check the size & style of letters & numbers. Then measure the plate & measure hole lay-out. Then check color. Then make photo copies of plates, hand me back the plates & take my money. Then wait 2-3 months for tags.
    They didn't care that they were restored- just legit, real & clear.

21. no problem......after i tried to install an old camera on a new computer :eek:.
    also i just noticed the overall font is about 1/4" bigger and of course there is no holes (says that on their web page). but it's good enough for me.

Attached Files:

22. What does BE or PC stands for?

23. BE = Board of Equalization.
    PC = Phneumatic Commercial. = Air Tires - Truck

24. calorchard

calorchard

Glad I didn't go to that DMV !

25. there you go, i wasn't sure about the PC one.

26. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

California 1933 is black with yellow numbers. Los Angeles "Noir" fan.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because, once again, in California, that's a felony.

28. calorchard

calorchard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    \

Mine. The front plate has been molded to fit the bumper. And it did snow 2 weeks ago here in So Cal. Took about 4 months for the DMV to finish the whole process.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  29. Thats all bad mojo. Spend the $$ and buy a pair that are clear, take them to DMV for inspection, and wait for them to send a new pink and registration.....There is only one way; the right way.

30. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Good news that you no longer have to send the plates into Sacramento for approval- I have one for my '47 Indian, and a set for my Deuce dump truck to run through. It was probably '09 when I checked on it and you had to send them in at that time. And the office you go to can make all the difference in the world- never, ever, ever, ever go to the office in Santa Rosa- the "Napoleon Complex :mad:" comes to mind