Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chop top advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nverdone, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Nverdone

Nverdone

So I have a 41 dodge truck that I am planning a chop. It has always been my dream to have a toy with a slight chop to it. I am thinking that 3-4" will be enough to get the look that I want to have, and I am looking for a little advice on the best way to do that. I am pretty good with metal fabrication and think I can handle this project, and believe I am ready to get started. I have already braced the top of the cab, setup a chain hoist above the truck to move/hold it when I am ready and marked out 3.5" around it where I think would be the best places to take it from. What is the best tool to use to cut it? Just use whatever works best for you? Obviously I am not going to fire up the acetylene torches and burn it but, what do most other people use? Next I kind of like the look of the pillars laid back a little, but have heard that is a bad move to make. Is that true? I still plan on sectioning the top to get it fit right but I was thinking of changing the angle of the front too........

Thanks again in advance.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have you done a search here? may take a while to go through the many posts on the subject of chopping, but well worth it. measure twice-cut once.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I went to a gene winfield class and we discussed truck chopping. he recommends cutting the perimeter of the roof out rather than cutting an x in the top. less linear welding, more crown to prevent warping. gas/hammer weld in a filler from a donor car (use a cardboard template to find a match at the salvage yard) so you have less english wheel time trying to make one. use the parts you cut out to "stretch" the door and window openings with similar profile metal, don't throw ANYTHING away until you're done. I posted my notes about this way back when.

4. 'Mo

'Mo

Your truck already has a small rear window. To avoid winding up with a slit, you may want to cut that portion of the roof below the window. You may still want to shorten the window, but there is plenty of space to drop its bottom edge toward the the door window line.

Windshield angle depends on the vehicle and personal preference.
    I'd suggest appealing to the Photo Shop wizards on the board for their help.
    There are many talented people here who are very generous with photo-shopping skills.

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

From your OP there is no doubt you will think it through, not go helter-skelter.. Make a plan, then get on with the fun.
    1) Skil-saw, with abrasive blade. Hold on tight, go slow, follow the line.

2) The pillars won't fit after the chop, anyhow. You'll need to pie-cut them to fill the gaps, so lean them where you want them. Plan ahead on how you are going to do the glass.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  6. Nverdone

Nverdone

Thanks everyone for the advice!!! I think I am going to use a small cut off wheel to get the cuts made to remove a section. As far as getting glass to put back in it, no problem I work for a glass plant, not worried about that so much. I did plan on taking some of the metal out around the back window in the chop to avoid having a mail slot to look through, but I am probably going to take some out of the window just to get it proportionally to look right. Thanks again everyone!! Any other sugestions?

7. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Before cutting anything think how you gonna fix the glass.
    Glass, glass , glass , glass.
    Biggest PIA in a chop.

8. Nverdone

Nverdone

Yea but like I said I work for a glass plant we make flat glass which is what the windows in the truck are. As long as I keep the windows straight I will be in the clear.

9. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Nverdone---I have had success in chopping my 36 Dodge PU using 1/32 cut off wheels and a good bayonet saw (similar to a jig saw) with good metal blades. I found the cut off wheels at a local welding supply shop - they were 4" in diameter. Also, I outlined my cut lines with masking tape and had my measurements checked by another set of eyes before any cuts. Be sure to brace your cab with some angle iron or tubing as once that roof is off it would want to spring out of shape. Also, it may be a good idea to weld some small tabs across the door gaps, both front and rear at about the belt line, to keep everything in place. It is a lot easier to keep things in place with some work before any cutting than to try to get things back in place afterwards. Good luck with it - and keep us posted.