Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Ever Win a Raffled Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Oct 27, 2010.

1. GlenC

GlenC

Not a car, but a good raffle story anyway...

I used to work Saturdays picking up glasses in an Aussie pub. (Hotel) The fishing club used to run a number of 'chook raffles' every Saturday to raise funds for fishing trips.

The pub was always crowded with drinkers, and it had four separate bars. The club members would go from bar to bar, showing off the prize frozen chicken and flogging tickets at 20c each. Then 15 minutes or so later, they'd go back through the bars, yelling out the number of the winning ticket. This went on all day, so a lot of tickets were sold, but I never saw anyone actually win the chicken in any bar I was working in at the time.

Turns out, nobody ever won a chicken! They'd keep one ticket out of the book of 100, flog the rest through the four different bars, then go back and call the number of the unsold ticket as the 'winner' in each bar. I guess everyone simply presumed that somone in another bar had won the chicken that time around.

The poor old frozen chicken was looking pretty sad by the end of the day though!

Cheers, Glen.

2. Back in the early 80's a buddy and I went to a small show put on by the Deleware Street Rod's. They had assembled a Model A chassis complete with a Pinto banger. Virtually everything on the chassis had been donated by members making it almost a 100% profit for the club.
    Well buddy "Big Frank" and I walked over to the raffle table so he could buy a few tickets. As it worked out, I wound up ahead of him in the line. Damn if one of my tickets didn't turn out to be pulled as the winner! We joked about me jumping ahead of him in the line to buy the winning ticket for years.

I set one of my Ai Fiberglass '29 roadsters on the chassis and sold it at the NSRA Nationals in St Paul later that summer.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

In my best George Lopez

I never win NOTHING

4. Back in the 60's my neighbor won a new '66 Buick Wildcat from the local church raffle. Flash forward to the late 80's early 90's ( i forget ) but I bought a couple tickets to win a Mazda Miata but just missed and won second prize. I got the full length Mink fur coat valued at $8500. :(

5. A co-worker of mine bought a $50 ticket on a new Mini Cooper an few years ago and won.

He didn't even have a drivers license at the time due to previous legal problems. He got his license back, joined a Mini club, traded up for a super-charged model, and got re-married.

So do you REALLY want to buy that raffel ticket?

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Never have I ever won a thing before. NSRA giveaway. 15,000 entries that year. I about had a heartattack!
    The year after whiskeyrunner won. You never really get these things for nothing. It took a total of 7 g's on my part with taxes, title and repairs on the RPU.

Attached Files:

7. 2 guys in Tri-City Rod and Custom have been lucky enough to win cars at shows.

Ed won the yellow 1932 hiboy coupe at the Shades of the Past rod run in Pigeon Forge in 97.

He kept it a couple of years and then sold it.

and Harold won one of the super prizes at the N.S.R.A Nats South in Knoxville,Tenn.a year or so later,,he received paper work for a new S-10 pickup.

He added some money to the price of the S-10 and bought a full size Chevy truck and still has it today. HRP

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I won a guess the jelly bean's comp today...................... Is that close enough?

Doc.

9. paintcan54

paintcan54

I never won or know anybody who did, but a few years ago there was some group raffleing off a '53 Ford sedan said it would be given away at some point in time, I bought 6 tickets never heard anymore, forgot about it a year later a differant show there sat the car still up for raffle I ask some questions and all I got was I don't know what you are talking about. All they would say was you must have us mixed up with somebody else, seen it again a year later at a out of state show same people same story, needless to say I don't buy your car raffle tixs.

10. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Last year my local AACA club raffled a '28 Model A pheaton. I WISH I would have won that beauty, but some woman did... She had to pay taxes on the value of the prize (car) before she could take possession. Bummer! Next year we're raffling off a '66 Austin-Healey Sprite. Would love to win that one too! We do this annual raffle to raise money for the local Hospice home.

11. No....... The only thing I ever won was a pair of US keds when I was 11:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

12. Yeah,I bought tickets on that car. HRP

13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

no. If i won a new one i would have to sell , could'nt afford taxes .
    not into plastic anyways.

14. Slow55

Slow55

It's one game of chance I don't play. Either you give your money to a complete stranger and maybe have a legit winner from a random drawing.... or you subsidize some fools scam. Who is to say the prize isnt predestined to go to a "random" winner with the same DNA as the raffle's originator. I dont buy into it today-
    In God We Trust

15. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Winner paid like $4500 in taxes to collect her prize...

16. Scoring a nice driver '28 Model A phaeton for $4,500 sounds like a great deal,,it would have sold for a heck of a lot more.HRP

17. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

One of my club members won a '98 Corvette in a rafle. The car was in pennsylvania and he lives in California...After taxes and shipping still cost him 6g's...The ticket was $20.00...He bought one...
    Still a good price for (at the time value) a 30K car....Drives it everyday...

18. pinman 39

pinman 39

Haven't won a car but my son won a 350 chevy motor for a dollar raffle ticket at
    The Yellowstone Rod Run about 7 years ago .

19. jesse1980

jesse1980

me and my wife won a brand new g6 gt convertable last winter at a chuch raffle. we bought a ticket last minute for 25 bucks. we sold the car though, we didnt need it.

20. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

AND THEN...
    The following year another one of our friends won a '59 Corvette thru a charity raffle. He bought the ticket over the winter at the Cleveland Autorama, forgot about it, then got the call while we were walking thru the swap meet at Goodguys Columbus in July.

I'm still waiting to win a car....

(I did win a Wii last year though!)

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

when I was a kid, my grandmother won a brand new 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix...
    she had my Dad drive us kids around the block one time, then he parked it in grandma's garage and she ran an ad in the Los Angeles Times for the brand new car, $300 less than the dealerships were selling them for, and it was sold in one day.
    She just kept driving her 1951 Desoto...those Depression era people weren't going to drive anything that was considered "fancy"...

22. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Yep, I'm guessing that $4500 was like 40% of the car's "estimated" value. And who knows if that estimated value was what it would sell for?

23. mj40's

mj40's

I forgot about the 350 I won at the Prineville Oregon run about 15 years ago. It's in the 38 Chevy I have.

24. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

In the early 90s the biggest asshole at work won a new red Corvette on a $150 raffle ticket. (not that I am jealous) We were wondering why the idiots have all the luck. My friend bought a $30,000 ski boat from a lady who won it at the boat show for half price $15k.

25. 61falcon

61falcon

my brother bought an off topic car that was sold to a dealer after it was won at a raffle. the guy that won didnt want the car. (why did he buy a ticket). so he sold it to a dealer (it was an infiniti) and my brother bought it "used" with less that 1000 miles on it.

26. I agree, no debt for me!

27. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

I've won something at the Pistons and Paint raffle each year I've been there. No cars though. My mom won a microwave back in like 1983...it still works and they still use it...it has a dial on it and woodgrain paneling! Ding your food is ready.

28. brandon

brandon

my father in law won a brand new undercover rolling dragster chassis at a friends open house. $150 a ticket deal. after winning it , we did a quick guesstamate on what it would cost to finish it, minus motor/trans paint....we were up to almost 15k in parts , as this thing is made for certain parts and those parts only.....decided to sell it. i ran it on the net for a couple months . big issue , everyone that called , knew the deal ...and what the ticket cost. :rolleyes: if they didn't know about the raffle , they soon did , when they called undercover. :mad: at one point i had the car sold back to the chassis builder (or so i thought) who proceeded to jack me around for amost 3 weeks on the deal. i ended up selling it to a guy in new york , who got a smokin' deal ......everyone involved made money , so it wasn't bad:D

did hear of a local that won a giveaway car at the shades.....heard that car cost all kinds of money to get into his name.....along with other issues that came with value of the car......

29. r8odecay

r8odecay

kinda OT, but back 10 yrs ago, I built a HD type bike each year for corporate sponsored giveaways. There is still a 96" rigid built chop I built rolling around town, see it time to time although I do know it has changed hands a couple of times.

Every year around these parts the St. Jude's children's hospital auctions off a brand new home, a nice one. I think last year was appraised 350K house. I bought tickets for a couple of years ($100 per ticket, good cause) but then realized I would have to mortgage it just to pay the tax, not an ideal prospect for me...

30. I never won a car but I did win a new Walker Radiator at the N.S.R.A. Nats South a few years ago,,it's in the wagon now.

And at Goodguys about 10 years ago I won a U.S. Radiator for a 29 Model A. HRP