Register now to get rid of these ads!

348 in a first gen Corvette????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustomman#1, Oct 25, 2010.

1. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i always wanted to put one in a 62-65 chevyII, just cause it would look neat...

2. pdq67

pdq67

Fwiw, I installed a highly reworked old dump truck block 409 in my '67 Camaro back in '73 or so.

It was 11.5 to 1 CR'd with the stock NASCAR solid lifter cam and reworked very welded up and ground out 348 engine trips to the tune of three big 2GC's.

Sucker fit in my car like it was stock...

And my old HS Buddy Jerry had a cheap worn out '58 348" Bisq that I swear had a 350 hp/348" engine in it way back then.

I've driven a 250hp/348 '58 Imp back then and I'm here ta say that it would run all over a 250hp/327...

pdq67

3. I had a 389 Pontiac in my 55 Chevy and I've seen an Olds engine in a later model C3 Corvette... I think a 348 or a 409 would be fun... a bit of a challenge... but fun!

4. saltracer219

saltracer219

Well, It's not as if you are going to cut the car in half. Do the swap, if you don't like it you can always go to something else. An interesting note here is the Olds engine and Hydro pictured on the cover of the first large Hot Rod annual was the engine for Hot Rod Magazine's famous photographer, Eric Rickman's 53 Corvette. I spoke to him several years ago about it and he said that it ran great and handled the weight just fine. That Olds and hydro was a damn sight heavier than the 348!

5. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Pork, just a little info if someone hasn't already given it- in '55 they made 700 'vette's and it was the first year a factory installed v8 was available. There were 300 made in '53, which was the first year for the 'vette. I've been a 'vette fan my entire life (I've owned a couple of newer model plastic fantastics) and would love to get my hands on one of the first three year cars, no matter what was under the hood. To the OP, it's your car, but please don't alter it to the point that it's irreversable. I personally wouldn't have a stroke like some have suggested 'vette nuts would, but I'd definately cry.:D

6. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

I think it would be cool.
    I'm not sure it's the right choice if adding value to your car is the goal but if you just want something different I think it would be great.
    These days you can get new aluminum heads, aluminum intakes, aluminum water pumps and you can also get things like aluminum rads mini starters and mini alternators etc. so you do have the option of reducing weight.
    It looks like you've already got a good running engine but as you probably know you can make plenty of power with a 348. If you can find an old 409 crank and rods you can bump the displacement up to about 380 - 390 ci. or you spring for a new stroker crank from Eagle or Scat and move up into the 430 to 440 ci. range. The stroked 348 in this link made 650hp.
    http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0911_chevy_w_series_engine_build/index.html

The 348 is just as long as a regular big block Chevy. It's not as tall as the big block but it is a little wider. It's just a few pounds lighter than the big block. It will pretty much fit anywhere a big block does.

7. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Me Likes! Love the W!

8. It's been done, I've made this statement on another post a few years ago. there was a Maroon 409 powered 55 vette running all over So Cal back in the early 60's. had that bad ass little bubble hard top that you never see anywhere ever, loved that little sucker. I'm thinking it was San Berdoo or Riverside based

9. Same can be said for almost any vintage motor. the early Hemi's can get their doors blown off blown off by a moderate small block chev. but just like a Harley, when you have the look, sound and heritage, you don't to prove a thing. Just walk the walk! and 98% of the population can't tell the difference between a 348 and 409's any more than they can a 330 DeSoto and a 392 Chrysler, cool factor always trumps BS talkers:cool:

10. redsdad

redsdad

I was always told that 9 out of 10 vette owners are sexually insecure. The other 1 out of 10 chopped them up and made something cool out of them like a race car or something.

I was fortunate enough to know two of the 1 out of 10s. One took a 66 big block AC car and drag raced it with a 292 and a Nash 5 speed. The other took a 67 and put a Cleveland in it and took it drag racing.

Put the 348 in it. You will probably have to modify the pan. Other than that, fiberglass is easier to chop and redo than steel IMHO.

11. Five-Oh,
    The information that I had read was 500 in five five. Doesn't mean that it was correct, just what I read. Still makes it a pretty rare car.

I've never really been a Corvette fan not that there is anything wrong with being one. Never the less I had never heard of a '53 Corvette, I do know that GM was selling new cars before the real year change back then so even though it would be a bad assumption on my part that would be my assumption. Again like the numbers on the '55 that doesn't mean that it is a correct assumption on my part.

Anyway it is information that is new to me and I appreciate it. Thanks

On a side note being a rare car doesn't make it wrong in my book to molest it. My angle on what a good swap would be is based purley on performance.

I don't think that anyone said that a 409 car motor was a boat anchor but we are talking 348. Who won a nat with a 348? The 348 if not a boat anchor at the very least made a good trot line weight. Could they be built? I'm going to guess that they could, but that was not the question and this one is going in because it is a spare motor. Lot of difference between a purpose built motor and one that is being used because it is there.

Most of the fellas are not using all iron low horsepower SBCs in their cars. Well not the fellas that are considering going fast. And its not likely that the 348 in question is going to run aluminum heads and or water pump. The basis for your whole arguement is apples to oranges. yes it is a good arguement for using a big block but it had little or nuthing to do with the question.

I did own a factory 409 bisquit in the early 70s. It was fun to drive and when properly tuned it was no slouch by any means. That said my brothe-in-law at the time owned a dart sport, factory single 4, 340 car with an auto majic. He normally gave me a pretty good run for the money. You can take that any way you like. I liked the bisquit and wish it was still in my possesion but it was just another car by the time I owned it.

Edit damnit:

let me add an OK I'm stupid to this post. I just went back and RE-read the original post for the umteenth time. Somehow I was not able to see that the car is a fifty five until now. So my statement about it being doubtful that the car in question is in fact a '55 is pure stupidity. DOH
    Sorry about that fellas

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  12. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I'll drink to that!

13. Such a rare car. It would be a shame not to restore it....but honestly....the parts would be so hard to come by if it's a basket case as described.

I worked on one once....and it's the only one i've ever seen in person since. It was a pretty rough car. Spent a very long time trying to get the body back in shape.

Got pictures of yours?

14. Deuces

Deuces

I think one of these would look cool under the hood of a solid axle Vette.....

Attached Files:

15. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Meh....If you dont know if you can stick it in there, without asking people...then maybe you should find a new project, or else this thread was just to stir the ....

I'd like to say more, but I dont think I could sugar coat it enough so people wouldn't whine.

16. Kustomman#1

Kustomman#1

Just want to know if it can be done and what I will need to do!!!!!!

17. Around 1980 there was a 1954 in my area with a Ford FE engine, installed in the early 60's. Said to be 406". The exhaust was straight sections of heavy gage tubing (plumbing?) welded into curves. Must have been 30 pieces per side!

I really coveted that car, it was different!

Steve

18. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Now that's the ticket, B&M hydro! Put that behind the W and no dissappointing, along with some torque cushioning with the hydro.

19. purdysd

purdysd

Absolutly.. do it, it's possible that several 'vette owners in the '60's did this conversion as it was the first big block for Chevrolet, and horse power and cubic displacement always ruled!

20. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

And that alone...Is reason enough to do it.;)

21. jimdillon

jimdillon

Porknbeaner, you may have a point on my comments on the 409/427 W motor drag racing statement. Mea culpa. I am a huge W motor fan and I guess was anticipating comments on the W motor in general being a boat anchor.

As to the rest of my comments we will have to agree to disagree. I have put big blocks in early Corvettes in the 60s and I presently have 2 of them now. The 348 I believe is an early big block and most of what I referred to applies to this motor be it a porcupine or W motor. It is wide and weighs slightly less than an iron Mark Iv motor. I told the OP he will have problems with the exhaust if he runs in the stock location. Back in the 60s we tried a 427 BBC with 10% setback and it was more trouble than it was worth and benefited little. We moved it back to the stock location. A 348 is a big block and is wider than the SBC and it is very difficult if not impossible to run stock exhaust manifolds. The headers I have were built especially for a big block conversion in an early Corvette. They run similar to a fenderwell as there is very little room between the rails once you get that wider motor in there, that is why I mentioned that to the OP. The area between the frame rails is a bit tight and the OP I believe will have the only real problem with his #1 tube coming into contact with the steering box (even if he runs headers like a fenderwell-because the width puts you up against the box). Other than that he should be able to do it. I am not sure what trouble he will have with an oil pan-that is easily remedied in my opinion.

As to the weight issue I earlier referenced that people will bring up the nose heavy aspect. If the OP said I want to go drag racing or track racing then I would tell him the 348 is probably not the way to go. But he is building a hot rod I assumed. There is the cool factor with a W motor but also they can be made to run strong. I had a friend years ago build a 292 Ford to beat his friends "built" 327 just to show him up. With a little work you can wake up a 348 and have enough power to make the car fun without breaking the bank.

As a guy that likes big blocks in early Corvettes I can assure the OP that he will get many naysayers that bring up the weight issue. I have heard so many times that it has gotten old- and it does not always ring true. it If he wants he can lessen the weight which I have already gone into. Does a SBC weigh less and rev higher-of course but then why not go with a LS motor? I for one would not walk down to the end of my driveway to look at a stock SBC or LS motor in an early Corvette. I have seen my share but a W motor be it 348 or 409 would be worth a look for sure.

I think it would be a cool hot rod and you could make it fast enough that it would get your blood pressure up just a bit as well.-Jim

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As an overview, i think it could be and obviously has been done. I can't drive the things. My legs are too long and they look just goofy with a small steering wheel. Different? Sure would be in today's "number matching" mentality. Valuable? Only to you except that you could always unbolt the 348 and bolt in the mouse. Nothing to lose but time and beer money sorting through the project.

As I see it there's usually a purpose behind a build. Power, restoration, better handling, racing, sentiment, or resale value. Something in there drives a person to build their car their way and it doesn't really have to make a ton of sense. Now that's not the classic cop out, "it's your car!". If the motive is just because you have it and it might be easy, I don't think it will be all that simple. Wow factor? I don't know, maybe. Dad and I used to put Cadillacs in our Ford trucks for fun and towing power, plus it was a motor of choice back in his day.

I like different but not for the sake of just different. You'd almost have to "theme" the car as an ex-drag racer or something and then dress it like a 409 just for fun. In the grand scheme of things, even the wrong engine (283) and some "date-coded" parts missing or replaced with stuff that's close enough would still net a very valuable car once done and running. It is a 55 which is something to consider as you modify. I wouldn't expect any major performance benefits and I would expect many a "Vette Head" to need 911 when they saw it. It would be my 1st reaction and if that's the goal go for it.

23. Jingles

Jingles

348's are a huge amount of weight for a little bit of power. A 409 would be worth the weight.

24. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

ditto---

25. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

If it's a stock 348 truck engine it won't be very quick but the passenger car engines made as much as 350 hp so they're not too bad.
    A modern cam would really help even the lower powered car engines.

"Who won a national event with a 348?"

These guys did...

1960... Junior Johnson wins the Daytona 500

1960... Rex White was the NASCAR Champion driving his 1960 348 Chevrolet Bel Airs

1961... Bill Patterson was the NHRA A Stock class Champion at the '61 Winternationals with his 348 1960 Impala.

1961... Ned Jarrett wins the Nascar Championship

1961... Frank Saunders wins Super Stock at the Winternationals

1961... Don Nicholson wins Stock Eliminator at the Winternationals

I know the 348 wasn't the hottest thing on the planet but I think they were pretty competitive in their day.

I'm running a stroked, 437 ci 348 in my 55 Chevy drag car. It's heavily modified but it has run as quick as 10.28 @ 128 mph.

26. here's one in a 58 vette

Attached Files:

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Seems to me a few people have lost sight of the fact that he has "a running 348". If he swaps it in and wants more power later on, a 409 would be a simple swap. The leg work gets done by sticking in what the man has now. I say slam that 348 in there and get that puppy on the road. Just my dos Lincolns.

28. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Look through early 60's Hot rod mags, tons of swaps to early olds and pontiac, i think i even saw a caddy in one, 348's are boring truck motors, and really wont come close in performance to a 283, 327, or 301

Myself i might go olds, if i cut a deal on one of the early vettes i know of

29. Sounds like a cool swap. Just don't try to clearance the firewall with a sledge hammer like they did to the tri-5's back in the day. LOL.

30. since when is a 348 a toad, I've ridden in a 61 SS Impala with a 350 horse 348 that weighed in at 3900 lbs. empty. that ran low 13's at 104 mph. that was as good as the 409's in the same car later in in 62
    anything is going to be a major improvement on the 150 horse six with a powerglide. we are hot rodders and not restorers on this board, Aren't we?????
    maybe Ryan should include restorers to the no religion or politics ban. just a thought about spreading the gospel

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010