Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best manifold to convert to 4-71?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowburban, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I'm toying with the idea of using a 6/71 just like that. Would stock type pressed steel Chevy multi-groove pulleys work, or would it need aluminum ones machining up?

Or..

Speedway sell aluminum triple pulleys for $38, might be an idea.

[​IMG]

2. lowburban

lowburban

Somebody has to have pics of how they did their manifold conversion.

3. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

4. Deuces

Deuces

I thought all chevy 283 crankshafts were made of forged steel...... I could be wrong though..

5. hotrod316

hotrod316
    from ohio

SO when building the aluminum adapter after milling the carb mounting flange, the mounting bolt holes (for the adapter) will be drilled at the 3 degree to compensate for the carb mounting holes being tapped at the 3 degree dump, correct?

6. No, not all 283 cranks were forged. That's one of those wives' tales.

7. Papa Tom

Papa Tom

i have a 471 mounted on a offy 2 4 360 intake it was all bolted together when i bought it the blower has a hand fabed snout runs a gilmer belt uses a short water pump it works really well i took it off my fed dragster its for sale

8. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

If you machine the manifold carb flangedead level, to take your adaptor, I'd open the holes out to the next size up, 3/8", drill and tap them straight up and down. Gives you a bit more strength to hold that blower in place.

I'd also mill some flats elsewhere in a suitable position on the manifold, bolt some round ally bar in there to support the adaptor as well.

9. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Why not find one one of those two piece tunnel ram intakes that are for a 2x4 set up. It would be a small issue of milling the bottom half down to accept a flange to bolt the blower to.

10. lowburban

lowburban

I thought of that too but haven't seen one that wouldn't sit the blower up real high above the valve covers. Think it would probably look kinda funny.

11. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Ok, i found the link that originally got me thinking about this aspect of using blowers on sbcs.

i'm not saying you will break the snout of the crank. All i'm saying is that i was searching for something totally unrelated and came upon this link and that's why it raises a concern for me:

http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/scattechpdfs/Break_the_Nose.pdf

12. lowburban

lowburban

I'd like to see some pics of the lower pulley's on v belt systems. Anybody got pics?