Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Air Bags - Front

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62ironhead, Oct 24, 2010.

1. 62ironhead

62ironhead

I need some help. I've searched any only came up with one pic. I need to see how you guys are mounting your bags on the front end.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. fathead429

fathead429
    from Yuma, AZ

I didnt take pics but:
    PREP
    I used a 7in slam bag, 3 inch cup for the top and flat plate on the bottom.
    Drilled a hole in the top part of the shock tower (the side facing the engine bay) for the airline. Opened up the spring pocket about 1 inch all the way around for bag clearance. The slam bag pretty much cleared, but why tempt fate.

weld a nut into the upper cup and used all thread as the bolt.
    I think it was about 7 inches...test fit this portion or your gonna be pissed later.
    side note..dont forget about your inner fender well, the rear portion needs to go away.

INSTALL
    Undo the lower "upright bolt" (the big sucker that threads to your lower control arm)
    Let the control arm hang there for a few.
    Bolt the bag to the upper cup,
    connect your airline through "grommet protected" hole in your shocktower.
    run allthread into the nut you welded in the cup.
    (compress the bag and guide the whole contraption (cup, bag, airline and allthread) up into the spring pocket) it helps if you lube up the airline for smooth travel.
    bolted the bag to the plate, Bolt the plate to the lower control arm,
    Re-install the lower upright bolt.

This probably isnt the best way, but it is working great on my coupe. I have driven it every day for the last few months.

Cross member sits about 1 1/2 inch off the ground. Could go lower if I notched the spring pocket outter lip.

For shits and giggles, I bought the adjustable upper control arm conversion kit from JamCo. Ridiculously easy to install, uses shims to align the car. similar to chevys.
    At ride hight, (low) my car is aligned, which save me some bucks on tires.

3. 62ironhead

62ironhead

Thanks, that should get me started. CAn I get the cup from slam spec.?

4. fathead429

fathead429
    from Yuma, AZ

I went to a local shop Jak'd up Kustoms out of yuma...and just had a cup built.
    center bolt. $45 bucks. Probably the same type of stuff from slam, I just never checked them out.