Register now to get rid of these ads!

what type of car is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tylerae40, Oct 25, 2010.

1. g'day to all - I picked this up the other day out of the bush with the idea of making a seduope (cutting a sedan down, using the back doors into a coupe) either that or more yard art. I've searched the body for numbers or tags but found nill, no engine or badges either to go off. Anyways if you can tell me what it is it'll help cheers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Austin Cambridge A40, maybe?

3. 117harv

117harv

I don't know, but i have seen some early chevys with that strange front suspension. That dash center has a chevy look to it, but car makers seem to give cars a little tweeking in styling cues before they head your way.

4. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

That dash screams Chevrolet Standard.

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

6. 12905

That front suspension is definitely Dubonnet Knee Action (aka DKA) used, as noted earlier in some Chevs and Pontiacs in the mid-thirties.

Seeing those sure brings back memories. I spent more than a year in the early fifties rebuilding nothing but those units. It was a bloody awful suspension system.

7. BaznJosh

BaznJosh

Too big for an Austin.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Vauxhall used the knee action suspension too, but the body doesn't look like anything I can find pics of. Notice the distinctive beltline contour on the quarter panel.

9. nofin

nofin
    from australia

It's definitely a Vauxhall 14/6, made between 1935-48.

Absolute give away is the scimitar shape body accent line above the rear fender (very hard to see in these pics) but if you also check the window shapes it's spot on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. squirrel

squirrel

Attached Files:

11. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

is that a tube type axle? the Chevys i've got have solid axles ('34, 36, 38)

but I agree with the Vauxhall.. looks similar

12. squirrel

squirrel

The axle is solidly mounted to the chassis, and the suspension happens at the ends in the knee action units. Just like mid 30s Chevy Masters (the Standard had leaf springs)

13. Good to see you got the convertible. If the convertible is indeed a Vauxhall as well it,s probably a Holden bodied 'Caleche' could even be a Holden bodied Willys. Holden Body Works built bodies for just about anything with 4 wheels in the 1930s & 1940s.

14. You guys get all the cool Land Cruisers over there:mad:. I bet it's a diesel too.

Sorry, I can't help identify the car though. Cool find!

15. thanks guys, I'm pretty sure that the sedan and the roadster thing are both Vauxhall's now. cheers again guys- i'll put some photo's up later on when i get the doors on it.