Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bob Steiner's Wreck at Pocono Drag Lodge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gaspumpchas, Aug 24, 2010.

1. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

Joe Perugino, one of the founders of Pocono Drag Lodge, gave me the story of the legendary Bob Steiner's Dragster accident at Pocono Drag Lodge in the 60's- still looking for some pics and will post if I can find some.
    Bob's FED was a locally built Lyndwood Dragster, made by Lyndwood Welding of Wilkes- Barre, PA. Seems Bob and his mechanic had done a valve adjustment between runs, and when re-assembling, one of the valve cover bolts Broke. When Bob came out of the hole, the valve cover gasket blew, spraying oil all over side of the car and the tire. Bob popped the chute when he saw the leak, which slowed the car down, but the dragster went out of control when the oil soaked tire lost adhesion, when Bob hit the brakes. Considering the speed and damage, Bob came out of the wreck with a badly broken ankle/ foot, but few other injuries. I believe that accident ended Bob Steiner's racing career.
    We were proud of Having Bob at the Pococo reunion last week; we set him into Bob Bilbow's Blown hemi powered Lyndwood, that was Bob Bilbow's fathers. His father, Pat Bilbow, was the founder and owner of Lyndwood Welding. Bob looked good sitting in the dragster and enjoyed the meet! I'll see if Jack Thomas can post some pictures of the Lyndwood display at the PDL reunion.

Charlie Hulsizer
    Organizer, Pocono Drag Lodge reunion

"you can't mess with the law, Milner..." Officer Holstein

2. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

I remember that day clearly.
    Does Mark Cohen (then the track photographer),have pictures?
    Steiner looks good ....good to see him at Pocono Drag Lodge

3. stanzig44

stanzig44
    from Blakely PA

4. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

Thanks for that Great Pic of Bob, Stan...sure was a special day for all of us...yah Bob is still a dapper dude!!!!!!

Charlie

" binky's pizza...."
    Wolfman: " Hey man got any more o' those secret agent spy scopes??"
    " hit parade on the stethoscope?? u got the wrong number pardner..."

5. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Lookin' good........