Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Also might have been easier to engine turn it before cutting holes but you're not a hack like me so I'm sure there won't be a problem.

2. Thats what I am doing, sheet is screwed to a plywood "carraige" that slides on the bas with hash marks for alignment. Omly issue, I gotta turn about 20% more area than if I cut it to shape. Scooter I suspect will cheat and have a robot do his:p

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Scott's got it made... a photocopier, robots, and he lives by the Pacific. :D

4. We are so backwards here in SD that I have to trace all my paperwork in triplicate since copiers haven't made it over the Rockies yet!

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotta' be engine turned! I LOVE engine turning!

The reason I didn't engine turn it first, was for a number of reasons, but the two main ones were...

1) I needed to get the panel mounted and know exactly where the gauges were going to be for depth because I have the cowl structure right behind it. The gauges clear by about a 1/4". Planning paid off! This helped me figure out where the electrical panel had to be mounted so I could weld tabs on there. Tabs have to get welded before painting the interior panels.

2) I know how I am... I would spend hours engine turning it and it would end up getting scratched during installation and/or hole cutting. At least I can admit I'm clumsy. HA!

It will be a little more difficult to engine turn with the cuts in it, but it'll work out.

As the the rolled lip, I agree it needs something. Someone is going to bash their shin on the bottom side of the dash. The dash itself is too thick (1/8" 6061-T6) to roll, but I have thoughts of riveting a rolled edge to it. Worried about it getting too busy, though. So I'm going to put it off a little longer until I think of what will look right and work well.

I also have to add a support for the bottom of the dash to the cowl structure. It wants to move, despite how thick the material is and how many screws are holding it in place.

6. Tig some Al rod to the dash from the back. Will look like a nice rolled edge. Thats how Cole finishes his stainless exhaust.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By the way... I'm not going to have much for knobs, but what I AM going to have will look similar to those. What the hell ARE all those knobs on that dash panel!?? Crazy!

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess I don't HAVE to have a rolled edge... I would like to see some examples of flat panel dashes like this this actually DO have rolled edges.

Here's some dashes that were inspirational...

Attached Files:

9. 1/8" thick you could just put a slight bevel on the edge. Round it off with a few strokes of the file.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, thinkin' of doing that and just being done with it. Easy cheesy...

11. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Scooter How about bead rollign the lower edge to give a border at the bottom and then engine turning the rest of the panel. The panel might be too thick for it but worth thinking about.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! Too thick... The bead roller has a hard time after about 18 ga steel (.047) or 14 ga aluminum (.063).

Think the filed edge will work out in the end.

13. Scooter, everything looks great. It sounds like Vic is the person to talk to at Classic Instruments if you haven't already ordered something.Trent, we have to get you a camera :).

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been chatting with someone named Fred. Seemed pretty cool. He was also aware of the alliance discount. No issues.

15. TheWrenchbender

TheWrenchbender
    from Belton SC

:eek: Just spent a couple of hours reading this thread, and this is one KICKASS build! The attention to detail is mind blowing,,,, you are da MAN Scooter!!

16. jangleguy

jangleguy

Following this build has been a joy and a curse... You put bad thoughts in my head.
    Thanks a LOT!

Scotty

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Thank you! I appreciate the words!

Uuuu.... bad thoughts?? :eek::eek: Oh! I get it... FWEW! Thanks man!! :D HAHA! Thank you!

18. Got my camera issues worked out. I will start updates when it looks like something.........or maybe my engine turning jig?

19. Bingo!

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly! We want to see that!!

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just spent some time going over the real early threads just as a reminder of where I've been. Burnout has been the topic, over the past few days for me. I think going back over those threads really helped.

There have been times where I've felt like maybe I should have shared a lot less of this and provided more of that "element of surprise". But now, looking back at it, I realized that had I NOT done these updates and shown every little nook and cranny of this build, I don't think I would know a lot of people I've met along the way. So many of you folks have been super helpful! I think back to when I first got started. I had very little for tools and had never use a good quality tool of ANY type. No space, no money (had to sell a TON of stuff), and was in a VERY different place in my life than I am now. It's AMAZING how much has happened since the start of this build. The car has been in several garages and lived in two cities. Two different jobs. Been through the battle of "tastes and phases", and yet it keeps going.

Motivation is steadily restoring just from a "review in progress".

Thanks to all who have checked it out and provided good feed back!

22. Hey Scott sometimes just a weekend away from it help as well. I know one feels like they are slacking when they don't do something for a weekend but sometimes it is all that it takes to get the juices flowing again.

The other thing that sometimes helps is if you have a list of things to get done is doing a whole bunch of little shitty stuff that you have been putting off but doesn't take much time. Being able to cross a bunch of stuff off my lists always makes me feel better about the time consuming stuff that seems to have been on the list forever.

What motivates me the most, however, is looking at threads like this one and dodgerodders and seeing the progress you guys are making which gives me a sometimes needed kick in the ass. So thank you for posting all the little stuff as you progress!!

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man! And I fully agree! That's exactly why I made that list. For some reason I just didn't even get it out and I totally should have. Just a strange weekend!

I'm taking a road trip across the country in a few weeks for the thanksgiving holiday, and I think that will really help things as well. I'll have all those miles to clear my mind. Going to study the list before I go so I can think about how to tackle each item.

I also agree that just looking at some of the wonderful builds on here really help! I've been following several builds from the beginning (including Dan's) and they really do get the creative energy going. Some of them almost TOO MUCH! HAHA! Sometimes I just want to start over building something else because I'm TOO influenced! HAHA! :rolleyes::eek::D

24. Scott, similar weekend out here. Got the rear spring crossmember in and hit a minor snag. Cooked a bunch, had the folks over, did some fall cleaning and picked up tools. Now I am ready to work again tonight!

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Something about just picking up tools and reorganizing a work space that just helps so much. I think I'm going to take a couple nights this week and do exactly that! Then hopefully I'll be fueled up again for the weekend. Need to start hitting some of those little tasks...

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Still enjoying your build... but if you wouldn't mind a suggestion on the dash? If you are talking about a rolled edge, versus a bead roll for styling at the bottom, I think a roll on the lower edge would be VERY good on your knees. I just have a crappy glass dash, but the lower edge is rolled over with a fairly wide radius and that lower edge extends forward under the dash about an inch and a half. This extension is not only VERY easy on the knees, but really does a great job hiding the wiring from your switches and other gear. Even a casual glance under the dash doesn't reveal any looms or wiring. Gary

27. Cshabang

Cshabang

Get off the computer and get back to work...we're all waiting. =)

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Study the GP Bugatti dash/firewall it is a one piece unit and strong enough to save a few drivers in a rollover back in the day. The two aluminum panels are riveted to aluminum angle about 1x1, that is what the copper rivets are holding together.[​IMG]

29. RPU Rick

RPU Rick

...In case you need to remember...

Rick.

Attached Files:

30. jj mack

jj mack

Scott..it is looking great keep it up and you will get motivated enough to finish mine::eek:

As for the bottom edge of the dash....can you take a small diameter length of tubing, slit a 1/8" gap in it and form it to the curves of the panel?

Or just draw one up in solidworks. Make a mock up on a 3D plotter for test fit, then CNC a mold and cast one! ( I would say CNC the part out of billet...but YOU would have to fit tradition in there some how.:D)

Great work

JJ