Register now to get rid of these ads!

looking for a paint booth and body man

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hbrown, Oct 24, 2010.

1. hbrown

hbrown
    from austin tx

can anyone recomend a ol school body man in the austin tx area that will do work on a 40 ford pickup. not a $10,000 job or for free either, but not a maco or earle schribe paint job either.

almost all body shops i find want quick insurance bolt on collision work.

i am just lookin for a paint job for a cruizer, not a show truck. i have all the parts disasembled and roughed in and want to begin with media blast, epoxie primed and then paint

any help is appreciated

thanks howard

2. bryan6902

bryan6902

Still sounds like a 10k job, at least, to me. Blasting, body work and paint will most likely be more. If you're going to pay to have it done, have it done right the first time so you don't have to pay for it again down the road. Just something to think about.....

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  3. you need to look for a customizing or restoration shop. it's still not going to be cheap.

4. It sucks that a quality paint job has to be around 10k. I'm no body man, and I understand that they gotta make a living too, but doesn't that seem way high to anyone else? I can see why lots of people would rather buy a finished car......you can get a nice car for 25-35k (that would cover paint, motor/trans, interior and wheels/tires)

5. greazy john

greazy john

quality costs money..... how does the sheetmetal fit????? have to remember that whoever paints the ride is assumed to have done all the work up to that point.

6. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Most of the cost involved in a quality paint job is due to the time it takes to prepare for that job. You eaisly can rack up 100 hrs on repairing and straightening a car. then comes the sanding/blocking. Good paint isn't cheap, and all the supplies add up too.

7. BigRy

BigRy
    from colorado

Paint can be affordable and good. Do your home work and check lots of shops. It realy is labor intensive to do this work.

8. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

As a shop owner, my cost are "X" pr hour, and I need to add "X%" because no one werkz for free, and the end result is what it is.

You would be surprised how many hours you can rack up blasting, restoring, blocking, prime, then powder coat (which is what we do) or painting a body. then there are materials..... quality, and cool ain't cheap

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sucks that gas is $3.00/gal

It sucks that matching your employee's FICA and Medicare adds near 30% to what you pay them.

It sucks that utilities are way higher for a commercial service.

It sucks that liability and worker's comp closely resemble extortion since they charge you based on your gross as well as sq ft.

Should I continue, or should I add that it sucks that my supplier's cost went up exponentially as well and has to pass them on?

Let's just say it sucks that pricing isn't reflective of 1965 any longer.

I hope my cynical response doesn't offend you or anyone else, it's just reality.

10. HIGHLANDER iss right, it's not just a paint job.

11. oldpaint

oldpaint

A guy I know had his vette painted for cheap. The prep work was terrible and you could see sanding scraches everywhere. Now he wants to know what can be done. The guy that painted it is no longer in business, I wonder why! All he did was to make the correct paint job more difficult and expensive.

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

God do I know this feeling..

Running a family Business since the 80's and being more and more active in the daily behind the scenes crap..its a wonder a business can survive..especially in my state...they still cant get the tax structure right for personal property tax on commercial or indutrial properties,,been a cluster F since 07, and been F-ing with it for over a year..
    there are a ton more things also depending upon what you do for a Business that tap a cost out of your ass..
    Painting...i would think the envoronmental impact could also have a huge effect..
    also another point...these guys that do this stuff..its an art. and you dont sign shitty work
    Think of it as a rolling bill board for the guy that did the work..

13. John Denich

John Denich

HELL 10 grand is a good deal! get some quotes here in Southern California! the body work alone is 15k!

14. hbrown

hbrown
    from austin tx

Sorry, I did not write it out good in firstpost. I will do the blasting and rough in body work. I can supply all the material. I have never painted so was looking for a painter and booth. I will do all the assembly to. Just need a skilled person to finish up the body panel and do the spraying. Thanks

15. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

you forgot about the comapanys that go bankrupt on ya and then sue ya for preferential payment within 90 days.Or the ones that just refuse to pay ya period.

16. dawg

dawg

we do it, but maybe you need to save your nickels before you jump into something?...

17. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

shit you cant even get paint in so cal any more. 10 to 18k seem to be the norm in cal

18. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem
    BANNED
    from Las Vegas

Most of the shops out here refuse to do "full body paint jobs". They want to bolt new fenders they painted on and kick it out the door.

Anyone who does custom work has to charge those prices because they have to make quality of cash because quantity comes with doing said insurance jobs. they get less jobs that the insurance collision places, So they have to cover less jobs by adding cost to each job.

When I worked for a paint and restoration shop, if I supplied all the chemicals and supplies (paper, tape, filler, paint, hardener, thinner, sandpaper, etc) my boss was going to charge ME 2k. And that was for an employee who would likely be doing all his own sanding, and he would have likely had me doing it after work hours. Gotta remember the time it takes up space in the shop costs too.

That being said you should be able to find a 5-7k paint place that does do quality work. Hit you local shows and ask who people go through for paint. And not just the hotrod shows. hit the mini-trucker and import shows too. You can find a deal but it will cost you time. Also remember in this economy you can haggle some, But don't offend the man you have painting your car. you don't want to devalue his workmanship. And if you work in automotive you may be able to barter some work.

out here for 5-7k you would be able to find some really good painters. But you would have to wait for them to get around to you. High dollar jobs come first. Golden rule and all.

19. Many painters will not put their work on top of some guys unknown prep and bodywork.

20. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Anyone who's ever painted a car KNOWS why it cost so damn much!

21. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Ask around the paint supply stores, join a car club, most of them have members that can paint and do body work. above all do not jump on the first guy that says he can do it for $750

22. how many of you guys have heard this? i just want to get a quick paint job on it... ohh... and just fix a couple holes... ohh... and paint under the hood ...and trunk and can you put a little paint on the door jams?

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

that you were so right about all of it...

yep...

24. Jeff J

Jeff J

What was said pretty much sums it up ! You get what ya pay for and I've fixed a lot of other jobs that where done cheap and redos are not cheap then !

25. hbrown

hbrown
    from austin tx

sheet metal is close. i have rough fit it and welded up most of the cracks and stuff in the fenders, and working on rust cut out and replacement panels..

would really like to get to the point i can dissasemble to media blast to get everything clean and unveil any other isuues to repair.

i feel i need to get parts epoxied primed as soon as i pick up from blaster to protect and then start and final metal finish, rust repair, or the dreaded bondo finish up then do a spot primer job and then on to paint.

i have been told i can bondo over epoxie primer without sanding to bare metal, hope its true.

thanks for all help

26. hbrown

hbrown
    from austin tx

sorry to bother you 33anda3rd.

just trying to get a few ideas from a great site for some local work.

i did not think i worded my post that i wanted a quick,or want some one to work for free and add a bunch of add on work after a bid price.

all i wanted is a fair price for a decent paint job, not show quality but not a maco either.

yes i am on a budget and need to save money on work so i want to work with the painter to get the best of both worlds.

my intent was to find a talented ol school person maybe in need of some side work and cash that maybe is retired and wants to work at his own pace.

again sorry to confuse you with another person wanting a SHOW paint job for nothing. I know paint work is expensive, u get what you pay for.

just lookin for some tips or info.

thank you for your time.

27. sounds to me that most in here are painters. I know when I had my shop. I would be blocking for hours it seemed like then I did not care if the thing was going pearl white I would paint it black clear and buff it bring the customer in to sign off on how straight the body was before final paint. I know it might have been a pain, But that is how you make a name for your self.

28. studhud

studhud

Take it to Jeff Meyers finkd is his handle here on the Hamb Not sure what it will cost but he's a great painter and will work with you.
    Dave Hitch

Edit if you havent done body work before you need to learn do as much as you can yourself.
    "Just need a skilled person to finish up the body panel and do the spraying" keep in mind thats 90% of the job which = $$$ time = money

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey 'brown, FWIW my reply had less to do with your initial request than it did the replies you rec'd. I do the shit for a living and I couldn't afford to have someone do a pro job for me to my standards. I fully understand what you're looking for and you represent more than 1/2 of the custom finish market. I try to work with people when they bring in a screwed up or forgotten project. Slippery slope there. I have an insurance job right now that's a Packard rear fender. Paint and body by another shop less than 5yrs ago. There's near 1/4" of mud over a rust free area. Banging out the panel to near perfect had less than 1.5hrs on it. My worry is now the rest of that panel since the surrounding area looks like a tree's age rings.

I bring that up because of what a good finisher will find or refuse to service if there's knowledge of the base work. Whoever said it above is correct, the last guy to touch the car gets all the blame for poor workmanship. Just pull the trigger and do the cut and buff, still his fault if the body work fucks up. So, all of that on the table and if I were in TX, I'd have a meeting with you. I'd advise chapter and verse what you need to do and support your efforts to ensure we both got what we wanted. To get the work if I wanted it I might even help you along in preparation for the day it hits the floor. These things may be fun, a passion, no part of life's needs, but it's still a buisness. From the last job to the next job the reputation is on the table. Find someone with the same outlook that has the desire to excell. Ask questions and establish a working relationship and you'll be proud of what you spend. You'll also have a new level of awareness in what's involved to get "that look" that sets a car apart from the rest. Something we all want whether it's our car or our work. I don't know any shops in TX but there seems to be an abundance of talent there. I'd have thought an over-achiever woulda PM'd ya by now.

30. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

the cost of best material will run about $2000 for primer ,paint ,clear cheap gets up cheap stuff.I said to myself do it yourself nobody to blame but you.Did my first in the drive way piece at a time