Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Bendix Brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UPState Bill, Oct 24, 2010.

1. UPState Bill

UPState Bill
    from New York

Bear with me as this is my first ever post.This question has probably been asked and answered numerous times,If so someone help me with the link and I will go there and this will go no farther here.I have 40 to 48 front and rear original hubs,which were a hub over drum design.the machined surface which was on the inside of the hub centered the drum over the brake shoes Same as a lot of others I am going to upgrade to bendix style brakes.Whether it be Thompsons Garage,Macs,(I couldn't tell from Dick Spadaro as he is updating his online catalog) or Speedway,there kits are all for a "slip over" drum design.On my original hubs on the front where the drum would sit on a "drum over"design they are flat.What would center the drum on the hub?If I purchase new drums designed for the hub over set-up will this work with the bendix style brakes.Its basically the same issue on the rear although there is a small flange surface on the hub which would sort of center the drum but the surface isn't machined like it looks in all the photos online.In a nutshell I want to retain my old hubs front and rear and update to bendix style brakes.I apoligize if this has been already covered. Thanks in advance.Oh yeah by the way great sight my wife says I am a "Hamb Aholic" I guess it could be worse :)

2. Are you are talking about "self energizing" brakes? If so, I think that is more about what happens at the backing plate. Are you also asking if your drums (I assume they have internal hubs) will still fit.
    The products you have been looking at are separate hubs with the drum over the hub.

3. UPState Bill

UPState Bill
    from New York

Yes I am referring to self energizing brakes.I have already removed the hubs from the drums.These hubs set on the face of the drum and went through(hub over design) Basically the drum is behind the hub but the new ones are all listed as drum over design meaning that the drum will set on the face of the hub which if I am thinking about it correctly won't that move the drum further away from the backing plate?

4. The original style had the hub as part of the brake drum. Did you have that style and then separate them?
    Do the wheel bolts come from the hub or the drum face?

5. UPState Bill

UPState Bill
    from New York

I knew this was going to get complicated as my explaniation probably wasn't as good as it could be I figured that I would confuse everyone else.With the brake drum sitting on the floor(hub facing up)I knocked the studs out and lifted the hub off the brake drum

6. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

As crminal mentioned above, and as I have tried to suggest in several threads here on the HAMB in the past.....YA GOTTA KNOW WHICH "BENDIX" (SELF-ENERGIZING) BACKING PLATE YOU INTEND TO USE BEFORE YOU DETERMINE HOW TO MOUNT YOUR DRUM! Every backing plate out there effectively mounts differently with regard to inboard / outboard "offset", which will determine WHERE your drum needs to mount...with regard to inboard / outboard offset. Once you mount your backing plate, relatively simple measuring will determine where the drum needs to be mounted (inboard / outboard) to correspond with the brake shoes on your "chosen" backing plate. The mounting method and spacing of the drum will also determine whether or not the drum will "hit" or rub on the backing plate. DD

7. UPState Bill

UPState Bill
    from New York

Sorry for upsetting the apple cart.I was only going by what is in Speedway or macs.Both adds are titled 12" bendix style brakes for 37 to 48 spindles no other info as far as application only option listed is 12x2 or 12x 1 3/4 shoe size and I was trying to find out if anyone had used thes kits and original hubs.I'll call Dick Spadaro tomorrow

8. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

You're not upsetting the apple cart. Just want you to realize the "full-scope" of what you're trying to accomplish before you possibly go down the WRONG path, in the wrong order. I'm just trying to possibly save you some time, money and future frustration. DD

9. UPState Bill

UPState Bill
    from New York

Thanks,

I should have been more prepared

10. Andy

Andy

The repo drums are cast iron. They are only made in the style that fits on the outside of the hub like a modern car. The hubs with the drum behind are used with the Buick brake conversion. You must find the hub behind style hubs to use the repo drums. This is to line up the drums with the shoes. All the Lincoln conversions can be bought with 2" shoes for the Buicks or 1 3/4" shoes for the original styled drums. You can use the drum behind hubs and drums if the drums are OK.

11. UPState Bill

UPState Bill
    from New York

Thanks,

That answers the question