Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early hemi confusion.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chip77, Oct 23, 2010.

1. chip77

chip77
    from monroe, MI

Ok, so I'm new to the site...(which is fantastic!) and new to shopping for "early" hemi engines. Seems there are quite a few sizes out there and all. I am interested in the hemis that are physically smaller than the 392/426. Seems like these smaller sized ones would present themselves as a better fit when space it at a premium.
    What one would be the largest cu. in. in the early small hemi?
    Is it a Dodge, Desoto or Chrysler? Anyone have any experience with these for a hot rod? and which one would be the most desireable?

2. Welcome to the hamb!Did you do an intro on new mebers page?Do a search for Dodge or Desoto or Chry. hemi, lots of info on here.My '55 Desoto hemi is a 291 ci and is close to a sb dodge in length but is way wider!Good luck on your hemi quest but I hope I get there first!

3. my47soto

my47soto

Keeping my eye on this one, I guess we are all on the hunt for the great lil hemi............

4. silent rick

silent rick

the 392 and 426 are totally different.

early dodge hemis are the smallest.

desoto hemis are approximately 1 inch longer and wider than the dodge.

chrysler are an inch longer and wider than the desoto.

go to the hot heads site or pick up tex smith's book and do some research.

5. chip77

chip77
    from monroe, MI

Wow, this is great, responses already. Thanks for the heads up on tex smith. I'll look him up and get the book.......

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The largest displacement with the smallest overall size and weight is the 325 Dodge. The 315 is the same size and weight and more commonly found. The physically smallest and lightest, by a tick, is the 270 Dodge, found in some '54 thru '56 trucks and '55 passenger cars. The 241 is the same size and weight as the 270 and came in '53 & '54 Dodges.

Ray

7. 73RR

73RR

8. Here are the different size early hemi that were made:
    Chrysler - 331 & 354 c.i. they have the largest selection of aftermarket parts and speed equipment available

Dodge 241, 270, 315 & 325 c.i. good selection of aftermarket parts, limited supply of speed equipment available

Desoto 276, 291, 330 & 341 c.i. smallest selection of aftermarket parts of the three, speed equipment is nearly non-existent and if it does it exist it's big $$$.

Looking for cubic inches and horsepower go with a Chrysler. If size is a limitation but you still want the look of a hemi, go with a 241/270 Dodge.

9. Skirv

Skirv

Payne you left the 392 out of the Chrysler list.

10. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

The Dodge is smaller than the Desoto and the Desotos are smaller than the Chryslers. The Chryslers cost more, especially the 392s which can really cost more. Be careful if you buy a Chrysler drag motor since many of them have developed cracks in the block over time. Bill

11. chip77

chip77
    from monroe, MI

thanks so much guys....alot of info to digest here and I'll look forward to reading what Tex Smith has to say also.
    I'll post pics soon of my new ride....a 65 barracuda "gasser style" and you'll understand why I'm looking for a small hemi...thanks again!

12. 73RR

73RR

We will ignore the 426 just from the cost stand point.

So then yes, the Chryslers are the biggest and the Dodge is the smallest. The DeSoto has its own advantages but intake manifolds are not one of them although some new alum pieces are available. In terms of physical size vs displacement, the 330-341 is one hell of a package.

There is very little difference in the actual cost of rebuilding the basic Hemi engine be it a 241 or a 392, assuming that the same type/style/level of quality of parts is used for each. The real difference is in the cost of the core engine.
    Now, if you have a need for lots of shiny aluminum then not only does the cost skyrocket, the potential engine list gets shorter.

Desirability is simply an emotion expressed by an individual. Once you actually have a project vehicle then the engine choice is better defined by space limitations, cost, availability, etc.

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looking forward to it! You gonna do the "Hemi Under Glass" thing?

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Might want to check on the range of vehicles accepted here. The cutoff is 1964. Probably a lot friendlier sites available to you for your car.

Frank