Register now to get rid of these ads!

41 plymouth / or 55 dodge? what do you think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparkevin, Oct 23, 2010.

1. moparkevin

moparkevin

Help me out. I know a guy who has a rust free 41 plymouth 2 door sedan, no motor, no trans.. under a G. And a 55 dodge 4 door for 2g with a in parts motor, but the body is nice.. Any suggestions on what to go for or the harder to find parts for car? I am just trying to come up with a good reason to sell my car to get one of these... always liked the sedan coupes, and any mopar 55-56 .. help!

2. madpole

madpole

personally... i would go for the 41. if you are going to put a lot of time into it, it might be better to go with a 2 door.

3. Toss-up here, no one much cares about the WWII era Mopars; the 55-56 Dodge has some following, but no one much cares about a 4-door. From the driving and comfort standpoint it's only vision and interior room to compare; parts aren't too bad for either but it's not like comparing one to a Chevy or Ford.

4. sololobo

sololobo

The 41 Plymouth has awesome body lines, very deco. The moredoor is also a cool car, but the 41 is more desirable in my opinion, about the same amount of work to update and the 41 will rule in the end. my 2 cents. ~Sololobo~

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

The drivetrain and chassis will be pretty similar, unless the Dodge has a slushbox.
    I prefer a prewar to a postwar, a 2 door to a 4 door and think the styling of the forties cars is more pleasing than the boxy mid fifties. So unless the 41 is missing a bunch of parts aside from the engine and trans, or is in poor shape, it would be my choice.

6. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Another vote for the 41.....Good luck, keep us posted!

7. starion88esir

starion88esir

Fuck what someone else wants and cares about.

Which one speaks to you? Buy that one, if neither do, pass and buy something that does.

8. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

41 two door is my choice

9. 42 chevy

42 chevy

The 41 is a very nice looking car. I would buy it, much more of a hotrod potential IMO.

10. Rodshop

Rodshop

Maybe this will help. Borrowed from a website.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  11. 57dodge

57dodge

"Toss-up here, no one much cares about the WWII era Mopars"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, opinion's are like assholes everyone got one.

Go with the 41.

12. George

George

Buy both, put the Hemi in the '41 & a BB Chr in the '55!:)

13. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

What kind of shape is the 41 grille in.......they are hard to find.

14. Fenders

Fenders

Want to see the outcome here, love these guys that ask for a vote on what they should spend their money to buy.

15. It's YOUR money and YOUR choice...but since YOU asked for opinions...

Buy both, like one of previous posters said! Take the built engine and build the '41 with that. Keep the '55 and make it a solid daily driver with a later 318LA/360, or even a Polyhead 318A for a few style points.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Do the forty one! I just could never put any serious time into a four door myself.

17. moparkevin

moparkevin

now that's a good idea!

18. moparkevin

moparkevin

Thanks for all the responses, I will be getting more facts/ info on the shape of both cars. I really like the, " buy them both", WE THINK ALIKE.

19. id go with the 41, in my book it looks better, if the motor and trans are the only things that are missing go with that one. however if your looking for a daily driver with room for everything.. go with the 55.

20. belair

belair

the 41-no question.

21. Squablow

Squablow

I've had both a '41 Plymouth and a '55 Dodge. My '55 Dodge ran and was complete and I bought it for $500. Drove it onto the trailer. Poly head V8. $2K for one with an apart motor seems like way too much, unless the car is really nice otherwise.

The '41 seems like a better deal price wise, especially if it really is rust free. A bit more work to update the drivetrain, but if you're going to do that anyway, I'd probably go with that one.

22. farmer12

farmer12

I'm going to be very biased and tell you to go for the '41 !!

23. Go for the '41, 'don't care for more doors.

24. moparkevin

moparkevin

So far I have many for the 41... I still have to see the floor pans in the 55 dodge with the 270 super red ram hemi.. in parts the is..
    this 41 in the area might not be the one, but because of the HAMB.. i may have a line on a better 41 plymouth.. go figure.. almost fate.

25. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

41, don't think twice about it.

26. moparkevin

moparkevin

27. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

the 55 for 2K , offer them 1500. and drive the wheels off of it!:D

28. Coupe Crazy

Coupe Crazy
    from LI, NY

'41...need I say more

29. Squablow

Squablow

That '55 is pretty nice. Rebuild kits for those engines are expensive, I wonder how far apart the motor is, and why it's apart. Maybe it's just something stupid like the intake and starter are off and it's the kind of thing you could re-assemble in a weekend.

If that was the case, you might be able to buy that car for $1500 and have a hell of a nice car done in the $2K range, which might be a lot more fun than an all-out build on a '41 Plymouth.

Now that I see how clean that '55 is, I think I have to change my vote. It would all depend on how much that engine needs. That one is a Custom Royal, with all the options on it, quite a bit nicer than what my regular Royal was when I bought it. Plus, you know, Hemi.

30. I always like the line "no time to fix" or similar. Translated, that probably is "I took the engine apart without any experience or shop manual and I have no idea WTF I just did!"

That '55 is nice as hell, from the pics. Like Squablow said, offer $1500 for it, reassemble it and drive it! Take your pick of the two '41s you know of and have fun!