Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new 33 ford project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D ROD, Jul 22, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Yes , chop time!! Keep them pics coming, following this one.

2. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Go for it! I took 5" out of my "too nice to chop" coupe, and don't regret a thing! I never want anyone wondering is that chopped, or not?
    Cheers,
    Stewart

Attached Files:

3. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

That car would NOT get cut on in any way if it were mine. It would go back bone stock original. Chopping and cutting are what the fiberglass cars are for. LOL, just my cents. Congrats, looks like a real nice find.

4. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

If I was to chop a car I would want it to be in as good as condition as possible. Unfortunately, that means that good cars get chopped up but chopped coupes say "HOT ROD!" to so many of us that an unchopped coupe just looks odd (and I own one!). It's nice to be able to save history for others to enjoy later on but what about this life? Isn't life a little too short not to do something this exciting at least once in your life?

Yes, in a perfect world we would all have tall tops and chop tops in our collection of cars but for most of us (me anyway) we have always had an image in our minds of what we want a hot rod to be.

For the record you can now buy unchopped (32) 5 window fibreglass coupes (with rain gutters and everything).

Life's too short. If chopping makes you happy - then good on you I say. Live your life and have your fun but (as mentioned above) save your metal. I have 2 unchop kits at home in boxes for 32 3 window coupes...just in case. And if you chop - I agree, CHOP HEAVILY! Personally I think the only thing my car needs is a nice chop to go with the channel but I'll build a replica car for that if I absolutely have to.

I support chopping! Keep the pics coming! That Kiwi Kev thread about chopping was fascinating and being a hot rodding forum you should get lots of support. All those guys who say "keep it stock and chop a bruised car"; wouldn't that make the chop so much harder? Isn't it wise to start with a good condition car when chopping? It's a bit of a catch 22. I'm not totally insensitive to stock cars (I'd love a complete set of stock early Ford Coupes) but chopped cars make me smile. Always have, always will.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  5. NealinCA

NealinCA

Looks like you sent it to the right guy...

6. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Hey 32ford5 nicely put. Although i very much indeed have a deep respect for untouched original 33 & 34 fords, i at the same time do have a vision to make this car as period correct & professionally built as possible. A heavy chop is to me an artform, that is an honor to duplicate, that might only come once in a life. So thanks for your input, you have summarized the chop theory very well.

7. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Update!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
    ls1yj likes this.
  8. ragtop50

ragtop50
    from UK

I'm liking that chop , keep up the good work

9. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I got wood ! It's about time someone grew some balls and REALLY whacked one. All the guys that said they would'nt chop it forgot that this is a traditional HOT ROD site, not the homepage for the Antique Automobile Club of America ! Good luck with the build.

10. RatBone

RatBone

looking real sinister!! I love it!

11. Love the chop! Artwork at it's finest!:cool:

12. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Perfect chop in my book! I love the look of 33-34 fords with a heavy chop, and slant the windshield back instead of straight chop filling the difference in the middle.

On its way towards that Salt flat look. Keep it up.

13. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Yep! Nope! Yep! Nope! LOL , I'm kinda on and off the fence on this one....One thing for sure, you got a great car there!:D

14. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

Chop looks awesome, good for you going ahead with your plans. It looks great. I have a 34 3 window that will be recieving a similar chop. Although mine isn't nice.. I'm still going to chop the hell out of it. I agree with Tman, save the pieces for someone who may need them to unchop a car or fix a bad chop. I've had a few bad chops come through here and wish I had the pieces to fix them. Keep us up to date with pics.

15. 067chevy

067chevy

Very nice chop

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That thing is awesome!!! I wasn't a huge fan of wedge chops but I am starting to think more and more how appropriate they look on some cars. My new '33 also has one....not as radical but same idea. Great looking car so far.

[​IMG]

17. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

cool chop, what engine are going to run?

18. dadz34

dadz34
    from Argyle, TX

I'm certainly not going to cast the first stone here...you found it first. To the victor go the spoils! I have made my own mistakes in the past. Some on purpose and others by pure luck. Do what makes you happy. I'm pretty sure all these guys are just speaking from experience and hoping to save you possible regret 30 years from now when your tastes/goals change. As long as you "finish it" and then "enjoy it", then you have my vote. What I would do doesn't matter...it's not my car or my place to tell anyone else what to do. In other words, I'm not telling you anything...just saying have fun with old cars...that's what this is all about!

By the way, the work looks well done! Keep it up and let us see how it ends up! Congrats!

19. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Thanks for the positive comments guys, nothing will sway my vision on this one.
    Hey Jeff I have been following your "punch me in the face" thread, and I say it should be "shake your hand" instead. I was drooling when you traded up for it, I to plan on owning a 33 or 34 three window in the near future.
    GaryB, I have a mild race 59ab factory releif flathead w/an Isky cam, and 4'' merc crank, planned for this build.

20. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Looks a little radical.........if that's what you're going for, you accomplished it. To me it looks virtually undriveable with the mail slot front windshield........but then again, I'm getting old.

21. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Looks great. Build it how you want, not like it is the last stock one left.

22. hasty

hasty

Looks really good. Please keep posting updates.

23. 58ducknut

58ducknut
    from ohio

Any more picture's D Rod?

24. my47soto

my47soto

I love it, good way to stick to your guns!!! Once again simply gorgeous:D

25. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Damn glad to see you building YOUR car YOUR way.

That's going to be one bitchin' coupe.

26. Perfect chop! Looks like Rudy Rodriguez shop, and handy work?

27. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

28. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Love your dry Lakes idea, but that is a shame that car was cut. Too late now, looks good so far.

29. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

I should have new pics soon, I will post an update when I get them.

Hey DD, you let the cat out of the bag, RR's finesse is hard to keep tamed!

30. Buzznut

Buzznut

Like others have said, that one is for selling to the right buyer...someone looking for a car and NOT wanting it chopped. You will make money on it and be ahead. My vote is TOO nice to chop. But it's yours, so proceed...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010