Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need your opinion!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shainerman, Oct 20, 2010.

?
  1. leave the spot on

44 vote(s)
    33.8%
  2. TAKE THEM OFF!!!!!!

86 vote(s)
    66.2%
  1. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Chop the top and ya wont need to fill that void.

2. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

drop em like you did your first girlfriend. And the yellow #^*^*#@!
    my $.02

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I like spotlight on certain cars but I just CAN"T stand those cheap ass FAKE one ! Fake will always be fake so if you want spotlights then buy a real one !

Retro Jim

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

They fit the period, the car.

5. cederholm

cederholm

I like the look, but real ones would better. I never understood the fake ones.

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

It's refreshing to hear a guy who is willing to be constructively critical of his own ride...in public.

Here's a suggestion: picture in your mind what your car will look like when it's finished.

Then build the picture. If there are spots on the final version, leave 'em on. If no spots, take 'em off.

There's no sin in running with primer spots if your car is under construction. Get started on the bodywork and wear the primer spots as badges of honor...the bigger the better 'cause the scallops make my head hurt, too.

Great project! Good luck!

:)

7. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

fix the crooked scallops, then worry about the crooked fake spot lights.

8. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

make em into speaker pods and mount them on your kick panels[​IMG]

9. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I mean Jesus H Christ in a sidecar, the likes of those Barris brothers and Larry Watson and the gang back in the day really must have been clueless....
    Paul

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything should be matt black right? Even the windows, now that would be cool!:rolleyes::p

Paul, I wouldn't worry about what The Barris Bros and Larry thought, they are happy just to know your incredible truck is there to make it all right again!!

Doc.

11. never understood dummy spots. real spots so you can jack dear::D

12. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Doc.
    in my opinion the quote above is exactly why you should keep the spots! They are just the kind of thing a "poor kid hot Rodder" would have put on his ride to make it look "cooler" back in the 50s, cheap and easily obtainable and very very traditional. I mean, obviously the end of the day it's your call, but I find this "fake is fake and therefore lame" argument doesn't hold a lot of water. Fake has been around for ever, and a car does not have to be "classy" to be cool, to me the two words do not mean the same thing and you can have one or the other or both and still have a great ride.
    Best of luck whichever you decide
    Paul

13. Leave 'em and put some Olds fiestas on 'er.

14. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

the spots don't look right the worst is the two tone and especially those scallops, 1-2 " drop in the front and a single color will make it awesome

15. robleticia

robleticia

16. I like the car:) (of course I own one also) but the scallops don't do it any justice:(. The color on top looks good, do it all over and flatten it (only my .02). If it doesn't have great smooth bodywork (like mine) flattened paint really helps, mine has a kind of satin look (I flattened the bronze shiny MACO paint job) and that really helped cover the not so great body work. The dummy spots are OK by me (they are turned down correctly, man I hate it when they are turned out facing the front-that really looks lame as hell) but of course real or dummy Appletons are always better but $$$$$:eek: and Appletons are a little large for a shoebox which is not as fat as a '50 Mercury. Skirts are cool if the car is low enough front and back. I love these old shoeboxes, thats why after owning about 20 different rods and customs I finally went back to my high school car,'51 Ford 2dr. sedan. Maybe someday if I live long enough I can chop it, drop it and roll & pleat the interior:cool:.
    There it is my .02 worth, you asked:D

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Lose 'em, but get some real ones, put hubcaps on it, skirts and paint the top to match the body color.

18. TheWrenchbender

TheWrenchbender
    from Belton SC

I love the look of the spots, Leave'um!

19. CLM

CLM

I liked the idea of leaving them on, painting all one color and put a nice set of caps on it.

20. flathead4d

flathead4d

I like spots but not dummies. Replace them with real ones. Like mine.

21. ericl1951

ericl1951

I say keep 'em. who cares if they're not "functional"? I think it adds some chrome and can tie the bumper and grill together.

22. Wardog

Wardog

I think the spots would suit the car if it had some more chrome elsewhere like a side trim and a set of full size hubcaps. It's a little busy up front with the paint and all.
    Any way you look at it you got a nice car man.

23. shainerman

shainerman

Thanks for all the input guys. I finally got a daily driver today so im going to make all of our dreams come true and start taking care of the paint. Im fully in agreement with ol skool 51. The body does have a lot of imperfections that im not ready to tackle yet, as I drive this car all the time and its not ready to be show quality yet, but it does need to be one color.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ