Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My new AV8 is on the road!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elmitcheristo, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

I really like your roadster. The stance is perfect. What size tires are you running?

2. TheWrenchbender

TheWrenchbender
    from Belton SC

You've done a great job so far, that is one fine looking automobile you have there. Keep on posting as you contiue to work on it,,, and BTW for a Fireman and not a fabricator I think you're doing a hell of a good job.

3. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

The wheels are 35 Ford 16" up front with 500 Excelsiors (the standard less expensive ones from Coker) and the rears are 33-34 Ford 17" wheels with Firestone 600-650's. I know the 600-650's sound small, but they are actually taller than the 700-16's on the rear of my other roadster. By doing this, I was able to get the big-n-little look without balloon sidewalls. As for the stance, I found that to be one of the more difficult parts of the build. The front is a CE 4" drop axle with the matching spring... so that was easy. But this is about the 4th version of the rear. I changed the rear crossmember twice and ended up with one that I made. I'm pretty happy with it, but I think I might go up about an inch on the rear.

That's a hell of a compliment...thanks! But, winter is setting in and because of this post, I will have some real roadster doors courtesy of Dirtiest Devil (Thanks Again for the 4th time) and I'm looking forward to tearing it apart and refining it. The HAMB is the best.

Thanks,
    Mitch

4. Fullfendered

Fullfendered
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great car, especially the dash.:D

Attached Files:

5. 117harv

117harv

I don't know what else i can add, it's bad a$$ in every way. I saw this car in person and it should be the poster child for an early roadster build on a budget. Big thanks for braving the weather, i really enjoyed veiwing it.

6. A Rodder

A Rodder

What's going on with the roadster Mitch?
    It survived the GP Flood 'eh.
    Joe

7. Yeah have you drove it around much? any new pics?? etc.

8. ALCAN AV8

ALCAN AV8

Great car. It sounds like it it is just going to get better too. Thanks for the pics.

9. OLLIN

OLLIN

Cool car, and very inspirational. I am building a similar car with a 21 stud flatty. Looks like fun!

10. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Bitchin Hot rod!!! she looks right...

11. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

Hello,

I thought that I would do an update on the roadster. I've been driving it daily for the last few months. I've been feeling it out and deciding what changes I would like to make over the winter. Last week I was "inspired" by the thread on brushed paint jobs and painted it up. Today, we had perfect weather, so I took a few pics of it. Here are the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Digging the period feel of this car it's really nice....just dust it a bit with some El Mirage dirt and your there... cool

13. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem
    BANNED
    from Las Vegas

Nice work. Love the stance. At first glance I thought it should be a bit lower but thinking of how it'd look lower I prefer your ride hight right where it is.

Killer car man!

14. Diehard32

Diehard32

Looking Good. It's a thrill a second just to drive it down the road. Be careful and enjoy the ride.....

15. tuki

tuki

hey sick car for sure..im building a AV8 now as well.its listed under 28 garage find..i have to update it as ive started the build..i have a ?
    im running the same fan/gen combo..did you have to trim your fan blade to clear the water tubes.i noticed you ran them high then dropped them down.thats a good idea too.

16. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

man that thing is right on! nice work.

17. banditomerc

banditomerc

Your car looks done to me! Great work.

18. Awesome...

V8 roadster at its best !!

Rat

19. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

It's pretty tight between the fan blades and the upper hoses. I think I will end up reworking the mount that connects to the intake and trimming about 1/2 inch off of the blades. It looks fine without a hood, but I want a hood and I need the grille to be lower to look right. On a side note, I have used the search function, but I can't seem to find any threads on how others are using cut-down generators to mount the fan. Mine works, but I think that the bearing set-up inside could be better.

-Mitch

20. Any Updates?

21. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

now that is a hot rod! Great work!

22. Wow, I thought it was already perfect, but a little paint and that numbered door are great additions. Have lots of fun with that thing.:D

23. tuki

tuki

ok..thanks.yeah its real tight so far..i prob will have to trim the blades also.id like to run the hood too.switch it on and off.

24. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Sweet roadster and cool that you got it on the road. Was it a pain to get it registered?

25. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

Hello,

It's been a while since I did an update on the roadster. In October, I pulled her backdown to the bare frame. I did some clean up work on the frame and then painted it black inside and out with some of that high quality rustoleum. I basically fixed alot of little things that were bothering me. I did put 156 louvers in the deck lid and put a proper roadster door on the driver's side. I recently picked up a Zephyr V-12 distributor that was converted to run the 8 sometime back in the 50's. Hopefully I will have that running by this summer. The wheels and tires are on there temporarily while I'm working on it (I know they are ugly). It will be back on the road in a few days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Patdoody

Patdoody

cool ride! I cant wait to get mine on the road!

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

LOoks great man. Love the vibe of it all!!!

28. voodoo1

voodoo1

Way cool man!!

29. A Rodder

A Rodder

You guys need a roach motel come the end of June in a little town called Chehalis?

30. D Staig

D Staig

Looks great. Looks like you're havin fun!