Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 customs. All makes. Lets see em...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Oct 16, 2010.

1. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good post to bring this up. A really dumbass movie was on last nite, the guy from HBO's "Hung" was the star as a private eye named Malone. His car was 50-1-2 (?) Buick 2dr sedan with a nice sinister profile and really goofy sound effects. Car was chopped, skirted, low, overall it was pretty bitchin. Who else got stuck with this goof of a movie because of the car? This post will snag all of us kustom fans so that's why I asked here. I'ma search google for a still.

Ok, not skirted and a 52 according to google:

Give Em Hell Malone was the title and here's the car from an image search. I thought it had the right look:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  3. here is mine. 51 plymouth two door hardtop.i hope to drive it to it's first show in nine days.
    [​IMG]

4. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

Shortblock love the work in the trunk. Did you make all the panels? the inner fender wells interest me the most did you make them also? how did you fit them to the 1/4 panels? Can you post more pictures please?

5. shortblock

shortblock
    from Sacramento

31-5 All the tin work was hand made by Jesse Miller at Sacramento Kustoms. The front end of the car just went to paint and the rest is going by Nov 1, They were busy with the front so the wheel wells are not done yet but will be shortly. I will try and get pics when they are done

Attached Files:

6. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Love it!!!!!! Any more pics?

7. Millhead

Millhead

Trucks included? Here's my 48 Merc.

[​IMG]

8. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Great thread, some good lookin cars guys...heres my Chev!

Attached Files:

9. BadLuck

BadLuck

heres my turd....

Attached Files:

10. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

here is my 49 roadmaster

Attached Files:

11. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Is this a restoration of an older custom?
    I seem to remember his from old pics. Or maybe its an 80s build?

12. robleticia

robleticia

Working on it!

Attached Files:

13. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

What do you have planned for the grille?

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Why is it that pretty much every '53-54 chevy has to be lowered within an inch of it's life? And it's not just those years and it's not just Chevy but I feel like it's often the posterchild for Mini Truc-ustom. I'm not saying they don't look good because they do but doesn't anyone think they look good the way the majority of them sat back in the day?

Not really meaning to sidetrack the thread but I feel like there's only a few examples that really exemplify how MOST customs looked. I know there were exceptions but what about the rule?

Carry on, I love them all......

15. John Denich

John Denich

Mine sits normal! I measured the Hirohata and went from there! I know what you mean!

16. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

I agree 100%....

17. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Agree 100%...and its not limited to 53-54 Chevys..I see way too many cars "laying frame" and it looks ridicuolus, they look broken...Here's my 51 Ford, dropped 4" all around with 4" blocks in back, dropped spindles and 1 coil cut up front...Looks perfect, to my eyes anyway...

Attached Files:

18. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I think they can "lay frame" and still look good, they just have to still have some stance to them. I don't have any pics on my work computer, but look at Happy Hoppy's 54 chevy and Jesus Valencia's 49 Chevy. Both lay frame in the rear, but sit up just enough in the front to still have a nice stance.

19. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

I guess i'm just not into modern interpetations of nostalgic looking custom cars. I prefer the look of cars that rolled right out of the little pages...

20. SHRUM

SHRUM

Love your car, very insperational

21. deluxerux

deluxerux
    from WI

I love this thread.

22. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I would have to agree........

Attached Files:

23. sun down

sun down
    from tx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  24. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

haha that's funny. This guy is comparing a car laying frame (that looks ridiculious and broken :confused: in his eyes) with adjustable ride height to a jerry rigged, cut spring, blocked, ford.....

don't hate...just save up for some bags!

25. smooth50

smooth50
    from MASS

Mine does not compare but figured I'd add a pic anyway since its a '51...

Attached Files:

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Your car Mr. Denich is my favorite Chevy custom of all time perhaps. I think yours looks like it was ripped right out from the hey day. Simply beautiful.

Johnny Jarzin? You know how I feel about your Lincoln. It's spot on and classy out the assy!!!:D:D:D

I don't think that laid out customs look horrible I just don't know why more people don't think they would look better done as they were. I mean a '53-'54 Chevy is a beautiful car...I should know I own one haha!!! I think it's a harder road to travel not putting airbags on your car because you can't rely on the shock value of it being hammered. I can see it with my friend Del' 54 too. I mean shit, building a custom is tough work and slamming it to the ground is a quick fix I think because you can stop there and it's pretty cool....not period but cool. I would say that it takes far more restraint and thought to lower it the correct amount (as seen by cars in history) and say "ok that's where it needs to be now on to the next part of the car". It's just so hard to see a car come together so slowly that pushing one part of the car to the max is only going to distract from the rest of it later on...but so many do. I get not wanting to drive a stock bodied mid 50's car with only a 3" lowering job because it still looks a bit hokey at times...but I think some (AND NOT ALL) are missing the big picture. The American Custom car of the 40's and 50's is supposed to be about the car as a whole and not one part. The shock and awe is what killed customs in the mid 60's or slightly before.

So all in all I guess what I am saying is that there are exceptions and rules. More often then not with building a "correct" hot rod or custom the rule is the road towards the light. Only every so often can the exception (like lowering to an extreme) take precedence.

I enjoy each and everybody's car that's on this site pretty much and I love that they are built for the owner his or her personal taste. But I guess I needed to speak my thoughts for the guy that just got his first old car and needed to hear other options besides a monster notch and a MII up front. Keep it simple.

27. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

I thought this thread was to see pics of 49-54 customs. Not to debate the fact of what some people thinks looks good or doesn't. How come people on here just can't keep there mouth shut, this thread didn't ask you to state your opinion on what looks good. It asked to show pics and that's it. So if you don't want to use bags that's your problem were not calling you out because your cheap ass wants to use 4 inch blocks and cut your springs. So just post your pics and keep your opinions for a thread that asks for them. Now that's my two cents.

28. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

My project

Attached Files:

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

:rolleyes:

Why is it that you have to be the only guy to take a shot at people when no one was saying anything inflammatory? I was just conversing before you had to come in and get all crabby on us. Practice what you preach homie. This isn't a picture book site. It's for grownups which means sometime you're going to have to read.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.