Register now to get rid of these ads!

how many of you have a grease gun?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62rebel, Oct 18, 2010.

1. I have 3 of them. one pneumatic type and two old fashion hand pumpers.
    Not one of them work worth a s@#%t.
    Time to pay a little more and get a decent quality unit from some place.
    NAPA and Harbor Freight ones worked once or twice and all died a rapid painful death.

Who sells a good one????????

2. oldodge

oldodge

Yep, I have two of them. Always wipe the zerk before and after with a rag that I will eventually sit or kneel or lean on and get grease all over me.

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I have 4...inherited my dad and brother's..

4. This.......

5. Fitzworld

Fitzworld

Yep, I've got four of them, most of the popular styles but my favorite is the one my Pop made in 1946, when he was working for Lincoln Engineering.

6. shoveled71

shoveled71

I probably have 8 or 10 around the shop, cant find one till the day after I need it.

7. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I have a bunch from the old Model A ones to about 3 air operated one ...and I do use them ...no squeaky posts here.

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

My grease gun is my best friend.

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I have a grease gun ,But have been out of grease for a long time ...Need to buy some.....

10. 29AV8

29AV8

I use a grease gun daily.heavy equipment mechanic. got tired of pumping bought a cordless one. man those are nice when you have 20 or more points that hold a lot of grease..

11. Diehard32

Diehard32

Own one and use it all the time.....

12. 19wayfarer50

19wayfarer50

I own a bunch, use them all the time, I hear people complain about greasing 5 or ten fittings on a car. I grew up on a farm, try 3 full tubes of grease on some of the old equipment or tractors.

13. 62rebel

62rebel

you guys are restoring my faith. here i was, thinking the time honored stuff was just a pose. foolish me!

i headed off a case of grease that my boss was gonna chuck in the dumpster.... he believes in lifetime bearings, not me!
    i even gave the techs in the shop a big half gallon tub last spring when they were working on something i can't recall.... they'd NEVER used a grease gun.

14. TheWrenchbender

TheWrenchbender
    from Belton SC

Yep I got a few and use them quite often, now just don't go tell'n the guys with heavy equipment about this,,,,,,cause I need to pay the bills and eat some how.:D

15. slim tempo

slim tempo

Always keep one in the car. If you're stranded, you've got something to snack on.

16. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I got one, and I'm not afraid to use it...! :eek: :D

17. Snakeoyl Joe

Snakeoyl Joe

I have 2 one hand healed and one small pistol grip. My old man told me if you can see the grease its not doing any good. Wipe it clean like Joes balding bean.

18. i had to teach a guy at work the other day how to use a grease gun, little late in life to be learning but at least now he knows

19. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Gotta have one, otherwise those chassis grease diagrams would be useless. And if the zerk is nicked or plugged, try using a shop rag over the zerk before installing the fitting over the nipple.

20. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep i have 3 . Buy grease by the case at NAPA. use at lest 2 cases a year. But we still get grease worms .

21. dadseh

dadseh

140 replies and 139 of us have grease guns...

just goes to show we HAMBers really are are a pack of GREASERS EH!!!??

22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

23. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's mine M-3.

Attached Files:

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything goes better with lube.

25. I've worn out three stamped steel cheap ass grease guns and two good Lincoln cast steel grease guns over the past 20 years at a workbench and under several trucks while building and installing driveshafts.
    Cheap ass stamped steel guns work just fine at home.
    Grease of choice? Red label Mystik JT-6 High Temp. Overkill in capabilites for anything I work on home and excellent for dump trucks and more--not everything.

26. I have 2 and usually jack the cars up off the frame to relax the suspension , I think the grease gets into the ball joints better thatb way.:)

27. I too, was told (taught) to "relax" the suspension for greasing. Also, to turn the wheels almost full lock one way, grease every fitting, then almost full lock the opposite way, grease again.

28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have been a First Class Stationary Engineer for 35 years , don't ever remember seeing anything wear out from to much grease . Seems as as time passes the new thing is life time lubed . Manufacturing just doesn't explain that the life expediency is less that bearings that require maintenance . I worked for the second largest power producing company in the world . New MO is maintenance costs money . Repair when it breaks !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Old thread but I have several. HRP

30. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

My other life is farming, so I have maybe a half dozen around at any one time. Like other's I've tossed out a few cheapy Chinese ones, so now when I want a good one I walk into the local John Deere dealership. I know a lot of you guys live in cities, but if you check around the outskirts of town I'll bet you'll find somebody selling John Deere garden tractors and mowers. $60 will still get you a good manual version. I had an air/op that I ran over and never replaced... as mentioned they hard on seals, even harder to tell when they are working properly and unless you get a good one, don't last. I prefer the pistol grips and if you do get a lever operated one, it pretty much needs the rigid tube for delivery, which won't get into a lot of places. Most of mine have 18" whip hoses and good quality ends. One is also equipped with the needle for getting into tight places. Avoid cheap junk and you will be much happier.