Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 37 Dodge D5

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sjiefaa, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Hey!

A couple of months ago I got in touch with Dustin (Droplord49) after he placed an add for a 1937 D5 sedan.

[​IMG]

After a ton of Emails and arranging transport, the car got dropped of at the warehouse in Tx. (I work for a company that imports car parts from the USA)... ;

[​IMG]

It then took some more time and a lot of headaches to get it here, but last week it finally arrived in Rotterdam, the Netherlands... We unloaded it from the container, put some gas in it, and with a little help from a second battery it started right up.

Unfortunately gas poured out of the fuelpump, so I couldn't drive it to the shop :(. I guess the diaphragm dried out during transport, as my colleague in Texas drove it around the block a few times with no trouble.

In the last week I;

- got the fuelpump rebuilt and mounted
    - gave it a good inspection and removed about a pound of Texas muck from the underside of the beast;
    - got the cowl vent and swingout windshield moving again (nothing a spray of WD40 and some elbow grease couldn't cure :D);
    - adjusted the steering box to remove most of the play;
    - removed and cleaned the left front drum, I'll have to test it on the bench to make sure it doesn't stick anymore (gave me kind of a scare on the first test drive, LOL);
    - adjusted the E-brake and tightened everything up with some new washers;
    - charged the battery and discovered an 8V unit from a forklift or something (haven't seen that one before!)
    - went through all the lube points;
    - made a ''bushing'' for the steering column, which had a lot of play.

All in all, I'm really happy with the car. It's solid and 99% complete. I shat my pants buying a car unseen and overseas, but Dustin came through and even had the alternator rebuilt after he sold it to me. Thanks again, bubba!

Now I have to make a ''to do list'' and get it ready for the DMV, will try to do that tomorrow. at least my kids like it;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  2. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Ah. Forgot. Russian made me a nice photochop of the '37, picture is from the car in front of Dustin's place;

[​IMG]

I have a lot planned for this car, but it'll problably take me years to get it were I want. Ah well, at least I've got something to do now :rolleyes:.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

3. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Glad she finally made it to you and that you are happy with her. Can't wait to see what you do to her.

P.S. My wife is still pissed at me for selling that car.

4. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Thanks, my wife loves me for buying it :D . I'll start with getting her ready for the DMV, then I'll slowly start my built... Nothing wild though.

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am very happy to see this car in Holland.

Dustin and I did a trade. Each of us depended on the other for accurate descriptions and full disclosure. We traded without seeing each other's cars. Marcy handled the transportation.

I ended up reselling the 55 Olds I got from Dustin...and now he has exported the old Dodge.

It will be interesting to see how this car goes over in Holland. It was always a treat to drive.

congratulations on your new ride. I hope you and the family have a blast.

6. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Congrats! Very cool looking ride!:D

7. Slonaker

Slonaker

My wife loved that car when we saw it last year in Kerville. I think it was her favorite of all the cars at the show.

Slonaker

8. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Thanks, I love the history of old cars... I'm sure we'll enjoy it.

Thanks, love the Nash! What are your plans for it?

It's a real heartbreaker :D !

9. farmer12

farmer12

Congratulations on your new car Sjiefaa! It looks very nice from what I can see in the pics. Good to see another Mopar in the Netherlands, what are the long term future plans? Good luck and hope to see it "live" real soon.

10. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Thanks man, I've always wanted a pre-war humpback sedan. There's just something appealing to those fat arses :D...

Long term plans are still vague, right now I'm focussed on getting it road legal...

Here's how she stands;

[​IMG]

Things I need to repair for the DMV (so far);

- all four shocks are fried
    - 2 kingpin sets
    - 2 tie rod ends
    - wheel cylinder right front is leaking
    - 4 dried-out tires
    - windshield wipers don't work

Anybody ever seen these BTW? I guess it's for protecting the runningboards, but I don't understand the ground straps...?

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Shiva

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  11. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I think those things are the radio antenna??

12. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

You're killing me! I'm been thinking about this '38 2-door that's for sale...

[​IMG]

13. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Nice '38! Looks rough, but certainly salvagable. Not too many 2-doors were built...

14. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Seriously...?

15. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Yes, that is where I traced the wires back to. I thought it was crazy too.

16. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Yep, it's rough, but the price is right... and for what I'd do with it the parts I'd need are there.

17. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

Looks very solid! And indeed, you cannot beat that arse..

soon an other rod hits the Dutch roads

Which company is yours that sells US parts?

regards
    Leen

18. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Hmmmmm, will do some tracing soon :). Thanks, I really couldn't think of anything LOL.

Wel, ''soon'' might not be the correct phrase :D... I'm on a budget, hahaha!

Sent you a PM.

19. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Don't feel bad....the first thing I thought was some type of heated running board. I knew Plymouth was advanced in 37' but WOW!

20. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Thanks Larry, I'm real happy with it. I thought about a chop, but I think these old 4 doors look real weird with a lowered roof. On the 2 doors it looks great IMO though.

Shiva

21. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Quick update; received the wheel cylinder kit and four new shocks today, ye! Test fitted the shocks during my lunch break, as the old girl is stil at work :D and they fit like a glove... I went for some cheap Monroe's, as Kanter's asking $ 150,- for a set and I'm going to change the suspension in the future (read; hit the frikkin' car with the lowering stick). These will just help me get it through the DMV's test.

The old shocks were like bicycle pumps, so these should really make the ride a lot better!

Pics soon.

22. cheveey57

cheveey57

I agree a chop would not work with a humpback 4 dr. IMO. It looks badass as it is....................

23. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Right, so shocks are fitted, wheel cylinder done, just need to bleed the system now. Should be able to do that tomorrow with a little test drive to boot :).

I've been thinking on how to lower this car... I'd like to see it about 4'' lower.

- I can't rearch the springs, as they don't have much of an arch to them already.
    - Can't flip the axles, as on the rear the leafs are already mounted under the axle and in the front the leafs would be interfering with the draglink;
    - Don't see longer shackles do anything to the stance on this car;
    - I'm not a big fan of lowering blocks, especially with big drops.

Any suggestions? Maybe make new mounting points for the leafspring shackles at the rear? About 4'' higher :rolleyes:..? And is it possible to run a draglink that isn't straight, so could I make up a new ''bendy'' one?

I've put some pics up to clarify things... Some input would be much appreciated!

Dustin took this one for me;

[​IMG]

This pic is from the net... but shows what I mean.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  24. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Hola,

Well, shocks mounted, rebuilt wheel cylinder thrown on, brakes bled and re-adjusted, time for a quick testlap around the shop I thought. Car feels so much better with the new shocks, no more horse and buggy bounce...!

Brakes suck though, the old girl still takes a hard left turn as soon as you touch the middle pedal. Sigh.
    A quick test on the roller bank got me confused; BOTH RH side brakes are fooked.

I don't get it;

- The master cylinder is a split circuit unit, but it splits front and rear;
    - Brake shoes are adjusted properly (with old cars like this, all shoes are separately adjustable);
    - All wheels turn freely and the drums don't hang-up (what's the correct term..?);
    - There appears to be no more air left in the system;
    - Can't find any weird bends or dents in the brakelines;
    - The PO fitted new hoses just prior to shipping the car...
    - WTF?

I won't be able to work on the car for about a week, so I'll have enough time to think this over. If anyone can chip in, feel free to do so [​IMG].

Thanks for reading, Shiva.

25. F&J

F&J

Maybe you have a stuck piston in each wheel cylinder?

...or if there is any oil or brake fluid on a shoe, it will grab real hard and pull.

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

bleed, bleed, bleed. Try power bleeding it.

27. TMunster

TMunster
    from Las Vegas

sweet dodge you picked up!

28. Very cool old MOPAR more door, the photo-chop is awesome. Good luck with your "new" car.

29. Sjiefaa

Sjiefaa
    from Holland

Could be, but the RH front cylinder ''felt'' good when I put it together.

I cleaned them all, no sign of fluids...

I guess that's next on my list, will have to look for a way to adapt the pressure hose to the brake fluid reservoir.

Thanks!

Yeah, the Russian is a magician, isn't he? Thanks!