Register now to get rid of these ads!

61 olds 394 replacement carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KQQLCAT, Oct 20, 2010.

1. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

Does Holley make a carb that will bolt on my 61 394 Olds? I have a rebuilt Rochestor 4GC on it and can't get it to stop bogging on acceleration.

Pat

2. carbking

carbking

The bog on acceleration is curable.

There are NO aftermarket replacement carburetors currently available which are a bolt-on swap without modification (throttle linkage, new air cleaner, etc.,etc.,etc.).

Jon.

3. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

What are some things to look at? I had a local guy here that is suppose to be good rebuild it. The Carburetor Shop.

4. Adjustment on the accelerator pump is where I would start. You should also look at the rest of your tune. Like how worn you cam and or cylinders are, points plugs and condensor etc.

Something else to think about is that some carbs are just worn out. It doesn't matter how many times you change the gaskets and clean them they just will never be what they were 50 years ago.

If you have it in a big heavy car you probably are not going to have much of a hole shot anyway.

5. carbking

carbking

The first thing is a compression test. No carburetor will work well with an engine that has poor compression.

The second thing is timing/distributor advance unit.

The third thing is the rest of the ignition system.

If all of the above checks out, check the function of the accelerator pump. to do so start the engine (this way you KNOW there is fuel in the carburetor). Now turn off the engine, remove the aircleaner, open the choke butterfly (if closed), work the throttle lever manually to wide open. You should observe two EQUAL streams of fuel in the primary venturi area. If yes, the pump is working. If no, the pump is not working, and the carb should come apart.

If in the above test, the pump is working, reset the idle mixture control screws. Setting the idle mixture screws too rich will virtually guarantee a hesitation (bog) taking off from a stop sign with an automatic transmission.

Jon.

6. papajohn

papajohn

I had this same problem with my '60 Olds. I had a buddy rebuild the original 4-jet and it ran incredible, but then the tangs on the floats by the accelerator pump kept slipping off. i don't know if they were weak or what. The carb would just not hold a tune.

I bought a Holley rebuild for a 1963 (i think) from Summit, and could never get that one to tune out.

Ultimately, i put a used Edelbrock 600 on it and it ran great. Had to modify the kickdown linkage though.