Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963 lincoln motor ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you are not going to be able to match the torque of the big block except for possibly puttting a ton of money into a 302 and forced induction ,why not repair it and be proud to own one, those cars are all about big cubes and being pround to drive a Lincoln with a mountain of a motor, and the pride in such a great car. That motor is the soul of the car. would you yank a 455 out of an Olds and put in a small block? It's all about American horsepower.

2. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

Ignore this entire post, i will murder you if you put a SBC in something like this.

What ever you do. DO. NOT. PUT. A. SBC.

3. noxided

noxided

i tell you what. if i can find a dencently priced rebuild kit" less than a grand" and an intake that will hold 4 weber carbs, headers and a way to de-clutter it, i have no problem with itm but i cant find any of the above.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

That body was used untill 69 or 70? and in late 68 they got 460s,if you can find the mounts then any 429/460 could be bolted in the earlier versions.

5. Seems like the 429/460 alternative would make the most sense and maybe be the cheapest way to go and stay close to the spirit of the 430.

6. modeleh

modeleh

you need to find some pulleys for the 302 so that it makes 500 tork poundy feet's, but like you said they are hard to find. that show car is going to sound so awesome when you get it done and add it to your list of even takes bodys from difrent manufacturs and decades, seval frames, no issues rides. sounds like you've got a solid plan. if only somehow we could find out how much torque you will need. maybe David Copperfield knows. He made a Lincoln disappear in his Vegas show.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  7. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

A 302 would move that huge car around smartly if you ran a full time nitrous system.
    No need for solenoids as you'd just run the lines straight into the intake. You will need a really big nitrous bottle... think tanker trailer. Might need to take the trunk lid off to fit a 5th wheel hitch.

The 287 Rambler engine into Lincoln swap is just too common, bellybutton 350 Duece thing there. Have you looked into a Slant Six with a huge turbo?

I think a 5.4 out of a late model pickup would be the smallest engine i'd consider.

8. How 'bout an Allision aircraft engine? You seem to have a couple bucks. Why am I still looking at this?

9. Reijer

Reijer

:D

Because it's just too funny.

[​IMG]

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

why do you want the webbers? if you are worried about a big block looking cluttered you just don't get it, what is so cluttered looking on a car that old?

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

since they were called bulldozers anyway,what about a big cat diesel? :)it would have the torque to move that car:rolleyes: there's a reason those cars have a big block, look at how much they weigh

12. Perdy up a 302? Is that possible? Not exactly the best looking engine ever made!

13. Reijer

Reijer

If getting attention is what you crave, the MEL will deliver. See?
    [​IMG]

14. Sorry, bro, gotta' weigh in and go with Squablow on this one.

What you've got here is a beautiful (or, was when it was built), high-end car that never is, was, or will be cheap to do anything with (other than rattle can flat black with red wheels). I wouldn't stick a 302, an FE or anything else in one. You're welcome to do with your own belongings what you wish... but you did post this up on a public forum for comment.

The average small block will make enough torque with a modest blower or turbo setup that it will make the car pleasant to drive; not something that's a dog below 20 mph. Of course, this starts to out-spend rebuilding the MEL.

A stroked LA would be a good fit (apart from not having the tiny bellhousing to fit under the floor); you can get a 4.25" arm into the basement. Nice deck height and the cam is up high enough to clear any gorilla stroke. 420+ inches is easy; lots o' torque. Oh, wait... that'd cost as much as the MEL.

If you're so broke that you have a $1k overhaul budget, (that's pushing it to get a really good quality set of parts for most things but SBC or SBF), I don't know where the bread for webers will come from. Or the supplies to dial 'em in (if you don't go through at least a couple jet and/or air corrector changes, you're probably a wizard). And remember, the crank grinder, the CK-10, the surfacer, and the valve equipment don't know or care if you're doing a MEL or a 318 mopar... it's 8 cylinders, four crank throws, sixteen valves worth of machine work either way. All of a sudden, that price differential starts to narrow when measured by percent.

Now, start adding all the other stuff you'll run into. Modifying the floor for the bigger trans. Oh, got to buy some hardware here, fittings there, and fasteners somewhere else. Fifty bucks for sheet here, and twenty-five for tubing there. Fill the gas on the welder. Driveshaft. Cooling hoses. Blah, blah, blah... it nickle and dimes ya'. All of us who've done these swaps can tell you that there's always some incidentals in an engine swap.

If you save an actual thou on parts, the little stuff will cut into that; is the bullshit and hassle really worth it... especially when every time you turn the key or open the hood, you'll know the real reason you did the swap was because you didn't want to 'sack up' and spend the coin for the appropriate engine? You can call it an improvement, but IMO it's really like pulling a 392 out of a '57 Imp, and 'improving' the car with a fuel injected 3.9 from a Dakota.

Your car, your money, your choice. Best of luck however you proceed.

-Bill

15. This thread is so stupid and illogical is has to be a joke.

A V12 flathead. Are you serious? That's after saying you want easy to find parts? Worried about a transmission? Holy cow.

I think you should ignore what basically EVERYONE has said about the MEL, torque etc and knock yourself out with the SBF showcar engine bay.

Just don't ask if you don't want to listen, seems you've already figured out all the answered already.

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I hope so, I have one in the 90, good engine in the approriate car but that car needs the big block, you forget if you squeeze that torque out of the small block, you are stressing everything internal in the motor, the big block will move that car all day without breaking a sweat. if you have to move something heavy do you use a clydesdale or a regular horse? the regular horse might be able to do it, but how long will they last?

17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

hmmmm, i wonder if I could fit a Triton v-10 in my 90 towncar? 367 horsepower and 457 foot pounds, hmmm, ok back on topic :)

18. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Well I said I did it on my 55 Lincoln, it is not a 62, it has a little 341 Engine and only weighs 4200 lbs... about the same as a 2010 Camaro, and much less than my wifes Tahoe (about a 1,000 lbs less).

I failed to mention that I am running a THM 350 and NOT the cruise-o-matic, this might make a difference too.

I have to admit to not "doing the math" but when practically compared to my late model Silverado, there is no doubt that I am getting between 15 and 20 MPG on the highway...

My point was that even engines considered "obsolete gas hogs" CAN do ok in the mileage department with the right mods.

19. noxided

noxided

definatly no sbc, i hate chevy. if you open the hood of that cat all you see is air cleaner, hoses and misc crap like on a harley. I also had no idea how many purists were on this site, so to make them happy I also plan on bagging it and shaving the handles, digital gauges and no wood grain, oh and big wheels. I have had plenty of traditional rods, restorations and rats, its time for something new.

Is there a manifold for 3 dueces for the 430 and are there headers available?

20. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

it's not the purists, it's you've got it ass backwards, you take out the small engine to put in the biggest engine you can find, not the other way around, if you want digital gauges and big wheels, maby you could join one of those sites, with thee cars with wheels three times too big for the car? people give me hell about my off topic stuff, but i have enough sense to know you don't take away cubic inches. you'll be the laughingstock of every lincoln owner when you open the hood and your engine shrunk. I can hear it now, did you wash it with hot water? it's shrunk!! I like my little import, but I also bought a Lincoln, because I also like American muscle, if you don't understand the concept of more cubic inches is better, then why are you even here? the idea is to step on the loud pedal and get that sound only a big block makes, and have enough torque to break the wheels loose. those engines are badass. Thats all I'll say.

21. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I think you shoud just build a 2001 HONDA.

IMO, from your first post in this thread I figured you were either a 16 year old kid, or just trying to start shit, since your last post I think maybe both...

Time to close this one.....

22. low-lincoln

low-lincoln

I agree, I have a 56 Linc with a 368. When people look under the hood of a Lincoln, they want to see a Lincoln even if its not pretty.

23. Then why are you asking for everybody opinion?

24. noxided

noxided

ok, calm down people. I just wanted ideas andthats why i posted it. From the sounds of it i should stick with the big block, so how about a 454? easy to find parts and cheap? J/k So with the 430 thats in it where is a good place to find parts for it? Also do they make headers becuase stock manifolds just got to go, if i must i can make headers. Thanks all for the ideas, but some of you go a little far, it might run off someone that take what others say seriously and we dont want that here.

25. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

a v-12 merlin would be cool....especially at idle. it blubbering at about 500 rpm on 8 cylinders.....

26. Reijer

Reijer

27. rick finch

rick finch

You're a joke.....trying to read and make sense out of your posts makes my eyes bleed.:mad:

28. noxided

noxided

your a joke

29. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

cause you know.. Lincoln 430s are expensive, but downdraft webers are cheap.. right?

seriously though. I can find parts for the 430 if you are having trouble. the number at work is 972-235-7405.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.