Register now to get rid of these ads!

where to get olds axle seals?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mickeyc, Oct 19, 2010.

1. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hello members, I am in need of a pair of rear axle seals for the rear end in my 40 ford. I am not sure of the year or even if it is an olds or maybe a Pontiac, Buick or even a caddy. The left axle has left hand studs, and I was informed this was a 55-56 olds. I have tried a major bearing supplier here( New Orleans) Napa, etc. all to no avail. The seal is made different than most I have seen in that the bearing retainer holds the seal housing in place and the seal itself protrudes in the axle tube slightly. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you. MickeyC

2. Master of None

Master of None

Try www.kanter.com, they carry many different seals, motor kits and brake parts.I've had pretty good luck with them finding parts that the local stores cant.

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I would be surprised if a good NAPA store couldn't get you what you need. Emphasis on the word good

4. mickeyc

mickeyc

Thanks guys , I went to the local napa headquarters, but when I told the clerk I was not sure what exact rear I had he made a feeble try to locate the seal but would not do a comprehensive search of olds Pontiac etc.
    I may try a smaller store in the area. Notice I said clerk, because I don't
    know any more parts guys only clerks.

5. F&J

F&J

There should be a brand and number on the old seal?

If it is readable, there should be an interchange with other brands.

6. pic of rear end might help id-ing it....

7. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

Try a search on the internet: vapinc

vintage auto parts inc. they are owned by Streamline in Denver. They have alot of stuff.

GoodLuck!

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There should be several big bearing houses in that area that stock all types of roller an ball bearings and seals. If you have the seal I'd suggest taking it to one of them and seeing if they can match it.
    You might check with an older parts house in the area too and if it is an independent so much the better.

Kanter shows this for a 55 Olds http://www.kanter.com//catalog/prod...0&Vdr=&Itm=&MDv=1&MDpt=0&MSb=0&Cat=80&Prc=343
    At that price it isn't worth wasting gas trying to hunt for one if it is more than ten miles away. But you still need to know what axle you have before you order anything.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think you might have a 53 and earlier olds rear end,if its what I am thinking the seal can be taken apart and a seal from a 55 can be installed and put back togather. I done that to my 53 olds axle seals and can you post some pics of it so I can be sure that is what you have.

10. Try Brad @ Fabcraft metal works they deal in Olds/Pont rears
    800-208-8242

11. gripelec

gripelec

try fabcraft in fort worth texas. they have lots of new and used olds stuff. if they dont have it they can point you in the right direction

12. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

A good parts store should have a seal book with dimensions. Just measure yours up and bring them the dimensions. They should be able to match it up.

13. guys at the local bearing house can match the seal up.

14. The fact it has left hand threads, would make me think a Mopar product. They also utilized a bearing and seal "kit". The seals were as you described. If my memory is right the rear axle bearing kits were A7RK, ot A7LK depending on if it was on the right or left side.

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Parts guys are not magicians. They need an application to look up the part. You need to identify the rear and then you will have more luck finding what you need.

Pictures of the rear and the pumpkin along with the brake size and bolt circle will go a long way toward finding what you need.

16. mickeyc

mickeyc

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I did indeed bring the old seal to a major bearing supplier in the area. They looked at it and could not mach it .
    The photo from the Kanter site that Mr. 48 Chevy posted looks like the one I need. I guess guys like us tend to think alike. I did take the rubber and spring from a seal with the same axle diameter and try a temporary
    repair until I can ger the proper seal. I really don't think it will seal all that well, but I really want to take the 40 to the last weekend show here for the year. I cleaned it all up and put it back together, adjusted the brakes
    and drive it I shall! I have not had the car out in public yet and this is very much a work in progress. It needs paint and under the hood detailing
    but with the 371 j2 motor and a 3 speed on the colum it is lots of fun to drive.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

When I had that seal in my 53 I seperated the halfs and installed the 55 seal and never had any problems and the car is still running around with the same drivetrain so I considered it a permanent fix since the later seals seemed to be easier to find at that time. I found I have 3 new 56 seals and a empty box which I think has the newer part number of that seal.

18. derpr

derpr

mickey, if its got a number on it, you can bring it so bearing service on the west bank. they are right off of peters rd. in harvey. close to regan equipment.

19. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

If there is no #an industrial parts supplier should be able to identify from ID ,OD, and Width. Bring seal with you just in case.