Register now to get rid of these ads!

Death of the project car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magoozi, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Their is a law that limits outside storage of autos car parts, metal junk etc in Wisconsin.

Last Spring I purchased part of my current project, (picture posted). Drove 17 hours to louisiana (one way) and arrived home at 10:30 Sunday night and parked the trailer with the junk in front of my house.

In the morning I discovered the trailer had a flat so I unhooked the tow vehicle and left it. Over the lunch hour I removed the tire a began a repair when I noticed a lady in an unmarked car outisde the house taking pictures of everthing on my property. I mean "everything".

So I walked up to her and asked calmly what she was doing, she stated twho she was and that I was in violation of several city codes complaints had been made. she added that this was not the first complaint? keep in mind the time frame here, this was after the trailer sat for 4-5 hours in the day light on the Monday after I arrived home, she showed up that quickly about the trailer in front of the house!!!

She went on to add that I had 24 hours to correct the violations. 24 hours mind you, here were some of the problems: use of scrap metal to weigh down a basketball hoop? (some heavy metal used to keep it from flipping over in the wind) The basket ball hoop's location? trailer with junk (my project) , some spare parts stored out side (although out of site on the side of the house, she saw it ) and leagal by the way as it was on a cement pad.

She also added that she thought my garage had too much in it? door was open and my son was rebuild his dirt bike (in parts) on one side and the other son had my a truck ont the other side (also in parts at the time)

She was to return the next day to check on complaince, fine was 640.00 for failure to complete tasks within the alotted time period.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  2. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

The state of California, local government and anyone else concerned about the shit in my yard can all kiss my ass. I do what I want...

3. dawford

dawford

Many of you still do not get it.

If you don't put up with the neighbor who stores his things out side.

You will be giving up your rights some day soon when they decide you have something that they don't like.

For well over 200 years this country protected Private Property Rights.

If Riverside Co. said that broken glass, old water filled junk tires or a pile of dead car batteries were a public nuisance I would understand but I restore antique tractors, cars, windmills and farm equipment.

These are not the kind of things that you can just go down to Napa and get the parts that are necessary to make them work.

These are long term projects.

When I moved out to the country so that I could have life Liberty and the pursuit of happiness 17 years ago. There were no ordinances that restricted me from having equipment stored outside.

When you allow others to change the rules of the game you will lose.

Some of you might be able to afford to have large metal buildings built to cover your projects but I don't.

I had to build a barn and cram things into it.

Now I can not get to many of my tools and equipment that I need to use on my projects.

When you allow the government to take away others rights you are surrendering your own rights in the process.

I would think that 1939 Germany would be a reminder of what can happen when people surrender other peoples rights to a government.

Some say it can't happen in this country.

They are already trying to take away our guns and will continue to chip away at our property rights with our cars.

Wake up Old Car Lovers.

Stick up for the ugly because Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

When the Government decides what we can to do on our own Private Property under the guise of making the place look better then they are judges without a jury.

4. Motion bird

Motion bird

I have to be mindfull of how much junk I keep around. I have one spot behind a 6 foot fence and a 1 car garage and a 5 car driveway. I keep the ugliest of them behind the fence or in the garage. I can see how I could get out of control if left to my own devices. The house next door to me has beeen forclosed on,and is now up for sale. The grass is up mto the windows,the shiutters fell off,and the last owner trashed the place,but I bet somebody would like to blame it on my 2006 enclosed race car trailer or my 79 Camaro hot rod. Interested buyers might be getting the wrong opinion about my operation,but I would rather they know what they are getting into beforehand then to hide it and attract a buyer who cant deal with it. The town is trying to make it illegal to work on your own car in your own garage. but that law got shot down. I cut up a lot of parts cars,and I keep them rolling and complete up until the last day,then they get sawzalled to bits and loaded in the back of my truck as fast as possible.

If somebody did something like tow a perfectly good unregistered car out of my driveway,I would have the nastiest ugliest house on the block. Big dayglo green totem poles 10 feet from the street,Perfectly legal and registered old cars painted up to look like demolition derby entrants, and the nastiest guagiest lawn art I could find.

5. WTFHemi

WTFHemi
    from Austin

thats what sema does....

6. Troyz

Troyz

stude-trucks YOU Brought left wing/ right wing politics into this thread. go back and read. Your political affiliation is obvious. try to contain yourself!

7. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Get a big nasty dog to patrol your yard. Problem solved.

8. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

america home of the free hahahahahahahahaha

9. Motion bird

Motion bird

This one had to stay in motion to aviod the gestopo.
    [​IMG]

The neighbors werent happy abbout this one. It was a "fast kill though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I hear Poland is a lovely place, a lot like Wisconsin. Pretty blonde girls, high octane gasoline, pay a guy off and problems go away, low population, any polish HAMBers out there, can I drive my hot rod in Polska, no problezushi? This guy with the cut up cars here, ya, I did 30 days community service for this 25 years ago and paid a 5 grand fine.

11. Leroy Rochester

Leroy Rochester

Something similar to this happened to us 25 years ago in rural western NY. Town zoning official showed up and said we had to get rid of all of our cars or get them indoors. The place really was a huge mess. We ferretted out a neigbor that had complained (as mentioned in previous posts) which is what brought the law down on us in the first place. We also did some research and discovered that the area we were in was zoned for commercial use. Ultimately we applied for and received a junkyard permit for our property from the town...

If our neigbor had come over and asked, I bet the result would have been different. But I guess I'm beating a dead horse somewhat on this point.

As for people building next to airports and race tracks and then pushing to get them shut down, what ever happened to the old legal doctorine of "coming to the nuisance"?

12. Motion bird

Motion bird

I take it you didnt have legal titles for any of them? All mine were legal,just rusty. The last one was a donor for the frame rails I needed to un tub my other car. I sold half the roof,the A pillars,the sub frame,and a ton of other stuff from it. Thats recycling in my book.

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep, it did. That's in the past. Somebody said it ain't Communism. However you slice it, whatever it's called, it sure the fuck ain't freedom anymore.

14. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Nope hey were legal titled cars, in Illinois you are not allowed to just let them disappear, you need a special license to do that. I got pinched on that technicality, if they had no titles I would have been in for 2 to 5 and or 100 grand. That would not have been pleasant.

15. NYfatboy

NYfatboy

NYC,1984-cops went into my garage(door broken cause some crackhead broke in and took tools and radiators) with the excuse of looking for stolen cars & parts.Nobody was home,no warrant-neighbors told me. Everything was legal because I hate theives.Went to the precint and wanted to speak to the capt. about being harrasssed when all I did was work on my own cars,keeping some kids off the street. Didnt get bothered any more,since I never bothered anyone.Complaint came from the one person who kept parking across my driveway and blocking me in. I moved to the country to get away from this crap, but new mayor from westchester pushes for all these rules about storing cars,etc. You cant run away,they keep following.Get involved in local politics,organize your buddies and VOTE!Only way to keep what you want is to fight for it(non-violenty, or you get put away). And remember not to impose your will on others because then it will happen to you. Good luck.

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Really, I did it? OP: "but it seems this goverment has turned comunist". Why don't you try going back and reading the actual op? We all know what side 'communist' refers to. I like to just try keeping some simple facts straight. The fact is, San Diego is definitely more right than left and it is a pretty easy guess his rich neighbors are much more likely right wing than not. So, blaming the left for this is just in accurate and misplaced frustration at best. If you are going to blame somebody, at least blame the correct parties. That's all I saying.

And just to be clear, I think San Diego is a great place and full of nice people, right and left. And since your political party affiliation perception isn't that great either, I am full on registered independent. I think for myself, right and left. The BS is deep both ways.

Personally, I can enjoy old cars while respecting the people around me, and that is giving and taking. I don't have a problem with it and I certainly don't have any political problem with it. Would be nice if others had the same consideration.

edit: I also support the op. I firmly believe he should be allowed to keep some old car parts on his property, even out in the open. Especially since he was there long before his new neighbors which I have no sympathy for.

17. Beebeebobby

Beebeebobby
    from Webb City

Join SEMA and put a Privit Hedge around your yard. They grow up to 15 feet and can offer a great deal of privacy. I will stay here in the midwest thanks...

18. TheWrenchbender

TheWrenchbender
    from Belton SC

True it is, although my lil chunk of dirt falls under the Grandfather Clause thatnk God!!!

19. A buddy of mine here in CALIFORNIA had some busy body from the city step onto his property and tell him he was going to get fined and have to move a bunch of shit on his property... he told her "Step on my property and I'm gonna PUMMEL YOUR ASS!"

Cops came... he told them if that city lady stepped on his property he'd pummel her ass... and followed it up with "jail is not a new experience for me"...

The cops told the lady she's better back off.

Anyway, fuck 'em if it's in your back yard and can't be seen from the road.

Hide the car bodies somewhere and then start raising a stink and city council meeting.

Find out who's responsible and have a yard of manure delivered to their drive way...

Sam

20. TheWrenchbender

TheWrenchbender
    from Belton SC

Even "inside" your house if he bites anyone that person can sue and most likely win, then it would be thier dog and property. :confused: wrong but true!

Some one else already said this, but what we need is a group with enough enfluence to get protection for these old cars/parts!

21. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Ditto brother!!!!

22. It's not old junkers. it's yard art !

23. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

People hear/see a big dog, they don't even bother coming onto the property. That's the idea. ;)

24. studemisfit

studemisfit

when i went into the service ten years ago my dad had to give away two of my three cars i had covered and hidden in the backyard out of sight unless you looked out the window of the lady who lived behind them and then it was a strecth. the lady behind my parents hated them for having a fence built around thier yard(she liked burning trash and letting her dog do its business in my parents yard). She had called the fire marshall/zone inspector who had issued a fine unless removed. so this was just one way she leashed out. But point is this shit with the township or shittiy neighbors can and does happen every where now. I made a point of being cool with my closest neighbors and having my shit covered or in my yard where i have beware of dog signs(have 5 dogs) so no one has fucked with me to date.

25. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

They only gave me 7 days here to get rid of my stuff, and the local car club was unusually quiet about the whole thing which is why I'm no longer a member. Some of the stuff went to the crusher or were given away; I didn't have time to sell much. Nobody cares around here anymore.

26. Motion bird

Motion bird

I wonder what they would say if I told them I was just taking it apart and was going to be putting it back together again. I did haul what was left along with the title to a junkyard. I just needed that many parts off them. I cant take all the parts I need to fix my car off another car? My car needs full toe board to tail panel floors,outer rockers,full 1/4's,outer wheelhouses,rear frame rails,a tail panel,roof skin,and upper firewall panel.I kid you not.The only good parts are the lower half of the firewall,the front half of the dooor jams,and inner rockers and wheelhouses. It even needs some of the inner roof structure replaced. Is what I am doing illegal?

27. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

The bottom line is, it's time to take back control of our destiny. The power of the Vote is the best way to begin. Government has gotten way too big and if we don't fight back we won't have any old tin left.

28. First thing to do is put up "No trespassing" sign. At that point it is illegal for the inspectors to come on the property. That should buy a little time to make a few arrangements and do a little housecleaning. If you can, fence in the yard with a privacy fence. Problem may disappear. Good luck.

29. Richard/SIA

Richard/SIA
    from No. Nevada

OK, I present here THE U.S. BILL OF RIGHTS, and a few of my favorite quotes, from history, philosophers, and the leading lights of several political parties.

Blue text in the BOR highlights what I see as particularly relevant to this topic.

More quotes at the activist group.

Amendment I
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II
    A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III
    No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment IV
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment V
    No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment VI
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Amendment VII
    In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment VIII
    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment IX
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves." - Ronald Reagan

Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech." - Benjamin Franklin

"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard

"Moderation in principle is always a vice."
    "Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil." --Tom Paine.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
-- William Pitt

"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably, he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable."
    -- HL Mencken

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all."
    -- HL Mencken

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
    -- Thomas Paine

"I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious."
    --Thomas Jefferson

"... laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt." -- Tacitus, Annals 3.27

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat

"Did you really think that we want those laws to be observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against - then you'll know that this is not the age for beautiful gestures. We're after power and we mean it. You fellows were pikers, but we know the real trick, and you'd better get wise to it. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers - and then you cash in on guilt. Now, that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with." ~Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure."
    -- Albert Einstein

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their consciences."
    C.S. Lewis

"Democracy, the practice of self-government, is a covenant among free men to respect the rights and liberties of their fellows"
    "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them."
    -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms [of government] those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

--Thomas Jefferson

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficient. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."
    -- Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis

"The people cannot delegate to government the power to do anything which would be unlawful for them to do themselves."
    -- John Locke

"When even one American – who has done nothing wrong – is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril."
    -- Harry Truman

The most terrifying words in the English Language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
    - Ronald Reagan

30. big creep

big creep

yea glad you are not here too. i think you mean you hate the laws in cal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.