Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's a Duesy!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Road Runner

Road Runner

2. sic944t

sic944t
    from ohio

what a wonderful thing too see that car i just saw it and 60 or so of its brothers drag racing .... on labor day im sure your thinking utter bullshit but as a person born in auburn indiana ive lived around those my whole life and at kendalville indianas airport the was a no shit duesenburg drag race i vividly remember that cars owner really flogging it there were about 4 cars that were hopped up running well and being driven very aggresively that being one of them ...
    i thought id die before seeing a duesy burn rubber but they will truely light em up if nee be they go well over 120 .... simply amazing cars in every way anyone who can go to the acd museum its a must or try too attend the festival its allways labor day weekend

3. Kettleman

Kettleman

I too spent a wonderful afternoon at the Imperial Palace, sipping a cold beer and staring in awe at the wonderful collection. I must have sat there for a couple of hours and several cold ones. Still remember it today. :)

4. Duesys are Boss. My 1:18 diecast is as close as I will ever come to owning one!

5. catdad49

catdad49

I have seen a few up close and was impressed by the size and the quality. These things (at least the sporty ones) were the musclecars of their times. I really like the SSJ's. I can't say that I would consider these things "jalopies", but they sure have many details that could be transferred to one! Bravo, Ryan

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

The only one I have ever seen was at the Reynolds Museum in Alberta...the display with the car indicated that it was used for oil prospecting for years, the rear section of the body had been removed and some kind of mini oil drilling rig installed! It is completely restored to original now, breathtaking car.

7. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

I had a chance to check out the Meteor here in town a few years ago, very sexy automobile..I don't think I'll ever forget the distinct sound of that motor when it was fired up

8. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

They are the ultimate ,A step up from a 32 Ford ,Love them and Cords

9. Back in the mid sixties I would visit my uncle in Montana every summer. We always took fishing trips out to eastern Mt. around the Havre area. I remember seeing this BIG chrome radiator shell over by an irrigation canal. I'm thinking "model-A",but its just too damn huge. Big ol' Chrysler mill maybe? NOPE! It was a Deusenberg alright. The farmer had bought it out of a wreck in the forties and was useing it to water sugar beats!

10. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

The family that owned the two Deusenbergs was the John Epley. The 1965 Rebel Lee has a pic of the 37 Duesenberg Auburn Sedan and the 1931 Deusy Touring car. I tried to scan the pics but haven't been able to get decent pictures.

11. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

AHH! Carole Lombard, Clark Gable, and Deusenbergs....all representatives of a time when class meant something.....beautiful car... thanks

12. This year, for the first time in about 35 years, I missed the U.S. Nationals in Indy on Labor Day weekend. Instead of heading south for the drags I headed north for a day at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Festival in Auburn, Indiiana. The last time I'd attended was 1971, I believe.

The show, and the cars themselves, were overwhelming. You'll see cars that you've never seen before and likely will never see again. But even in the midst of the Packards, Lincolns, Cadillacs and Chryslers, the Duesenbergs still stand out from the crowd. Their sheer mass and their styling are only part of the story. The rest is in the hundreds of details that make these cars look like a giant piece of handmade jewelry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. I like that #11 shot. seeing the engine through the side, It's like viewing a womans goodies though a lace nightie. ;)

14. I had an opportunity to see the Duesys at the Imperial Palace, back in 1996. I seem to remember a whole row of em', most with celebrity provenance. The names escape me now but I do remember one being James Cagneys car. Just as impressive (or maybe even moreso) was the bright red early 30's Mercedes 500K roadster sitting at the entrance to the museum. All truly magnificent automobiles. Back in 96 he also had one of the Shelby Cobra coupes on display (NOT the Mustang) which is another multi million dollar piece.

15. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------------------
    I'm glad you *only* posted a pic of the Shinola.
    Really glad!:eek::D

Mart3406
    =========================

16. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I used to have a neighbor with a big red Duesy, that car sat about 75 feet away from here. He passed away a couple years back and his sons sold the car. He had spent 50 years restoring it and it's first time out was the Gastown show "Steamworks Concours" where it won every award possible and John (in his 90's!) was interviewed by every TV and radio station in the city.

17. Anyone who appreciates cars should love a Duesenberg and anyone who appreciates old cars should worship them. They are the pinnacle of automotive design and technology for their era - IMHB. Great article, I have been a fan for about 30 years - my Duesenberg was always my favorite Matchbox car! Always dreamed of owning one,..... I still have the model is all I can say!

Never mind the 5-7K chassis, how about the "Twenty Grand" nothing like a $20,000 price tag on a 1933 car in the Depression when a top of the line Ford was $650.

Only others that get close are Auburns and Cords,.... drool
    [​IMG]

18. In my humble opinion these are more than Automobiles. These are works of Art in every respect. A vision to behold for all to see.

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the bottom of most Deusy adds it states "Chassis, $8500.00 F.O.B Indianapolis, Indidana."

Trying to forget the value is near impossible, but when you take into account inflation and a small percentage for supply and demand they had to be one of the best automotive investments in history. I remember being amazed beyond belief when I saw as a child, in the Hemmings when it was a little book, Leo Gephart had ads for Deusys asking $10,000. Later, $100,000. Now, well we know.

20. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

[​IMG]
    this 1935 was built for the maharajah boasted 320 hp supercharged, toped out @ 140mph back in 1935. the chassis alone cost 9k to build back then !

car is now here in the states somewhere ? ? in a mueseum [ not open to public] coach built hot rod !

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you Ryan! Only Duesenbeg part I have is this exhaust pipe tip. Someday It will get placed on my Hot Rod.

Attached Files:

22. alsancle

alsancle

That is Harpo Marx's Mercedes S which lost the match race to the Model J at Muroc.

[​IMG]

The ACD guys where having an interesting discussion wonder if any 20s/30s factory built car could stay with a Duesenberg. The consensus was no.

http://forums.acdclub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4791

23. bob-o

bob-o

Amen Ryan. I don't care what anyone says, I love Duesenbergs. Always have, always will. Excellent article.

24. 31Atudor

31Atudor

Was that car in the Dayton Area in 1963-65? Some Dayton auto enthusiasts drove their cars with the homecoming queen candidates in a parade. I rode in the Deusy that day with our candidate. I didn't really know what it was, but I was impressed. It was massive. The window moldings were near shoulder level. and you couldn't see any of the fenders from the passenger seat. It also had this neat little plaque on the dash proclaiming it was custom built for a the maharajah of ???. I always remembered the skirted front fenders because he creased one on the rear bumper of a 58 ford as we came around a corner. Thru the years everyone has told me it couldn't be a duesy because of those skirts. Thanks for posting this pic.

25. This is a great example of "automotive discrimination." Car folks get so wrapped up in what they like that they can't apppreciate others favorites.

26. tjm73

tjm73

My father has a couple Auburn's and just completed a L-29 Cord (best of show at it's first ACD meet in IN). All ACD's are beautiful rolling works of automotive art.

27. xix32

xix32

oh, to hear / see a model J duesy running and moving under it's own power is a rare event. i went to an auction in `07 just hoping to be able to see & hear this car drive into the auction tent. i placed myself in a good position to be able to witness the occurrence. as it approached i couldn't believe this jerk blabing away with his back toward it. i can't imagine what he had to say that was more important than the sound of that straight eight D.O.H.C work of art.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the bidding ended with a "no sale" at $ 985,000.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Mercedes is under restoration in Pennsylvania, with a HAMB member on the restoration staff. :)

29. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

It's always tough to take good photos at Hershey, this was best I could do, really nice fresh restoration.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010