Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Photoshop thread to end all Photoshop Threads!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pair O' Dice, Oct 10, 2008.

1. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

Any takers,at least the color change please if the rest is too involved.

2. Like this?
    [​IMG]

3. ClimisCD

ClimisCD

Here you go. Hudsons are beautiful cars. Good luck with the build.

Attached Files:

4. Chieftec160

Chieftec160

Perfect!

5. I don´t really like the idea of the stepside boxes.

[​IMG]

6. ClimisCD

ClimisCD

A few touch ups on the Hudson.

This truck was fairly simple.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  7. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I dont know how to photoshop, so I figured one you's could help out and photoshop some cragars or supremes on my car.... pretty please???

Attached Files:

8. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

Thanks for the truck, nice touch on the wheels.

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Found this on another thread and had to Photoshop it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Can't build a real one right now so this is next best. Thanks to James D for helping me figure out how to draw clean lines.Made all the difference in the world. :)

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  10. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Thank you very much. I never would have thought of the two tone version. It looks great.

11. Polished it a bit too. :)

[​IMG]

12. HIVOLTJ

HIVOLTJ

Thanks James D!

13. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

dude! You rock! :d

14. skoh73

skoh73

Nice work Eli!

15. No problem.:)

16. GoBettie

GoBettie

Can someone please help me out. I have no idea how to photoshop and am interested to see how wire wheels will look on my ride?
    Shooot.. I'm not even sure how to get the image of my Ranchero on here.

17. Buick Skylark wires. Looks pretty sharp IMHO.
    Just be careful which ones you chose, as not all wire wheels were created equal in the looks department.

[​IMG]

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thank you! Now I want to build a real one!:D

19. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Ever since Kev posted the Pic of My Ford its been used in all sorts of Photoshop deals.

Anyone know of FiberGlass fronts for a "54 ?

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I think your car gets Photoshopped because it just looks bad ass! Thats why I did it. Do you have a motor in it? I think I see something in there.

As for the fiberglass fenders, there is a company called USA 1 I believe that make all kinds of stuff. Maybe they can hook you up.

21. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

There is a DeSoto Hemi Mocked up in there ... Should be around 300 Inches when its done.

Short Stroke Screamer .... I Love them Little DeSoto's

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oh man, thats cool! I bet its gonna be a blast to drive!

23. You guys did a few for me a while back but now I found a real decent 37 Chevy delivery I'm buying and will want it a lil' lower in front, painted black or passion purple swade with 2" whites and chrome steelies. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Attached Files:

24. GoBettie

GoBettie

James D... thank you for the photoshop pic. Decisions... decisions...

25. Mattbee

Mattbee

I got the new version of photoshop element and have figured out alot of stuff (been practicing with some cars on here). I have figured out how to change the color of the paint on a car, but I can't figure out how to make it look glossy or shiny, all the paint I do turns out looking flat. Can somebody help me figure out how to make the paint shiny or glossy? Matt

26. You have to paint it on. Look at photos of shiney cars for reference.
    THere´s no "make shiney" filter unfortunately.:)

27. Hmmmm. You want your paint jobs to look shiny, yet your name is Matt. :confused: Interesting. But anyway, back to the matter at hand.

I'm going to assume that you've figured out how to use the Selection tools to mask off the areas you're trying to paint. The Lasso and Magic Wand tools can be a bit tedious but they work OK. Don't think PS Elements has a Pen tool, but if your new version does you may want to spend some time working with it.

Sometimes you don't have to paint the car to make a color change. If your image has a single color paint job and looks shiny, you may be able to change the existing color. Go to Image>Adjust>Hue and Saturation and try the sliders there to see if you can come up with the new color you're looking for. This can be a real time saver as it can change the color while leaving all the shadows, highlights and body seams intact.

But this method won't always work. Black, white or other very light or dark colors don't respond well, if at all. Also, a car in primer with a blue door and a yellow fender isn't a good candidate. Everything needs to one solid color for the most part. Also, you'll likely change some of the background colors at the same time unless you've already selected just the areas you want to change. If you're changing a green car to blue, any grass in the picture will change as well. Though I guess you could just say the picture was taken in Kentucky. :rolleyes:

One workaround, if you don't have your work area selected, would be to work on a Layer copy. If the background doesn't look right after making your color change, just erase the offending areas exposing the original image underneath. Flatten image, Save and you're done. :D

If you have to do a "repaint", experiment with different Opacity settings for your paint tools and try putting the paint on in coats instead of doing a one shot Earl Scheib job. Also try painting with some of the different Brush tool modes like Muliply, Screen, Soft Light or others. If you don't like the results, remember that Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Alt+Z are your friends. Unless you're using a Mac. Another handy shortcut for quickly changing the size of the Brush or Eraser tool is to use the open ( [ ) and close ( ] ) bracket keys.

But like JamesD said, to put the "shiny" back on the job you'll have to paint the highlights and shadows back in. Study how the highlights and shadows fall on a glossy finish, or maybe even better study some of JamesD's work in the forums. He's got a good eye for this stuff, though he'd never admit it publicly. :rolleyes: Getting it to look right can be tricky and I find I have a tendency to go overboard with these effects and the results can look pretty hokey. So I've got to suggest doing the highlighting and shading on seperate layers. This way, when you're finished and the results look too overdone, you can reduce the Layer opacity for a more subtle look and maybe save the job. This is definitely a case where usually "less is more". :cool:

28. ry57pont

ry57pont
    from minnesota

ok, i downloaded a free trial of photoshop to get some ideas for my car. apparently you need a nuclear science degree to use it. can i get someone to photoshop my car white with a red spear. Thanks - Ryan

Attached Files:

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Ryan, that's a badass car. Do you have a side shot of it with no shadows?
    As for needing a "nuclear science degree", I'm definitely no NASA boy and if I can do it anyone can. Just pull something up and experiment with it. If you have any questions PM me and I'll try to answer them. I started out with the free Photoshop download and things kinda went to hell in a handbasket after that, but in a good way, and its been a lot of fun. Plus, I'm still learning more stuff each time. Check out my Photoshop album.
    Eli

30. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC