Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963 lincoln motor ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noxided

noxided

im looking to get a 63 lincoln soon and the stock motor in them are jsut ugly and im also not a big block guy. I wanted to put a flathead in one that is painted red with a black car because that would look awsome but they just dont ahve enough power to move the car. im not looking for speed but it will be a daily driver on the highway. what good looking motor should i go with? just a perdyed up 302 or what? anyone got a lincoln v-12 laying around?

wingedexpress likes this.
  2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

What do you have against the MEL???? I am assuming your '63 has a 430 MEL, correct me if I am wrong. Those motors are serious torque monsters. 315 hp and 465 lb-ft of torque - STOCK. :eek: Try getting that out of a 302 or a flathead for under a gazillion dollars. Plus there are enough speed parts for MEL's out there to dress them up nicely (see below).

[​IMG]

On second thought, if you don't want that MEL, crate it up and send it up to me. I will find a home for it. ;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  3. noxided

noxided

My problem is over the counter parts availability and also you only have one trans to chose from and if i have problems then i cant just go and get cheap easy parts for a c4 or c6. beautiful motor though.

4. Word to the wise, if the stock motor runs, leave it alone. If it doesn't find another one that does. These cars don't interchange with ANYTHING.

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I'd be interested in finding out just what engine you think will motivate that megaton behemoth down the road if not a 430 Linc....just keep it running (and drinking prodigious amounts of fuel) and enjoy one of the finest road cars ever made.

dj

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

My 55 Lincoln has an even more obscure engine, and it is going to stay in there because it is more cool than ANY SBF... Just the way it is...

A little paint, and a little creative thought can make these old engines look teriffic and run great. I even managed to get mine up to almost 20 mpg on the highway with the simple addition of a modern carb and electronic ignition.

I say keep the MEL.

[​IMG]

All I need is an excuse to post a pic of this engine.... :D

7. Squablow

Squablow

Yeah, that'll be way better with a Lincoln V12.

The MEL motor is a cool one and you shouldn't swap it out. I haven't met the 302 that could hold up to pulling around that 5000 pound Lincoln in daily driving situations.

Parts are available. They might not be as cheap as 302/C4 stuff, but honestly, you're going to spend all that money and time swapping in a different engine just to save a few hypothetical dollars down the road if you have to buy some replacement parts? I don't follow that logic.

8. Bigjake

Bigjake

Most torque I'd ever had under my right foot was a 67 Continental with a 462 MEL. Cruised at 100 on the highway like a boat on water. Great motors and great cars. Just remember to get good timing gears and chain, stock ones are nylon teeth and with age are no good.

9. I'd have to agree with all the above. My grand dad had a bunch of Lincolns from 57 to 66. One of the first cars I ever drove was a 63. Cruised down the road like a B-52.
    If your were going to swap I'd think you'd want a 429 or 460 but if the stocker works leave it alone.

10. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

Ok, Keep the original engine. If the engine is fried, Here are a few engines i think would be cool.

Lincoln v-12
    First gen AMC/Rambler v8 (i might send a 287 block for $200)
    Hudson 308
    Olds 455
    1hp Briggs and stratton (would look cool, amirite?)
    1911 Herchell-Spillman (very hard to find, but would look very cool, and make a one-of a kind ride)
    351 Cleveland
    Buick Nailhead
    DO NOT:

350 Chevy (too common, dont look cool)
    351 Windsor (too common.)
    455 Buick (unless your good at screwing with oilpumps, then it works great.)

11. williebill

williebill

always drive around with your hood closed..ugly engine problem solved

12. 62rebel

62rebel

shit; you can't SEE the engine in there anyway. leave it alone.

13. noxided

noxided

Well the one im looking at the motor is trashed. im going in for the awe factor also with this car. was thinking about 302 with velocity stacks like the cobras had. Also im just a big 302 fan, i love the sound and the high rpm's just not a fan of finding pulleys for them.
    [​IMG]

also like this idea because i already have two weber 44 idf's that came with my 53 merc for some reason.

14. RamblerClassic

RamblerClassic

I vote for a nailhead, or 287 rambler, pretty fun engines.

15. noxided

noxided

how about this nailhead?
    [​IMG]
    anyone done this swap?

16. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

How trashed is it? Bring it to Garden City, we can fix you up.

17. noxided

noxided

not sure yet, im going next month to check the car out.

18. modeleh

modeleh

Do you realize you have to modify the firewall and floor to put in any other engine? The cast iron COM auto had a small bellhousing to tuck under the tight tunnel in these cars.
    Not sure why you want to get rid of the 430 because over the counter parts are scarce, but you're thinking of a V12? Umm, way easier to find stuff for a 430 than a V12. And you're not a fan of finding pulleys for a 302?:rolleyes:
    Unless you're planning on running some 5.14s out the back, the 302 will be a dog. Find a different car.

19. Reijer

Reijer

I agree with the first few reactions to your initial post: keep the MEL 430. It's nicknamed 'Bulldozer'... that should tell you something. My '64 Continental came with a '66 MEL 462. That's the only motor that will slide in with little effort on your part.

There is very little space under the hood. I have seen 460 and LS motors installed but this was done by people with considerable skill, money and time: you'll need to customize the frame rails/unibody, transmission & transmission hump, drive shaft, steering house & PS pump...

My MEL 462 needed a complete rebuild (see my cardomain page). That hurt. Parts are available but relatively pricey. Correct pistons are rare as hens teeth. If you do get the '63 and the motor is shot you can find a running 430 through thelincolnforum.net Don't get a 61-62 but a 63-65 motor: two versus four barrel intakes.

Fair warning: speaking from experience, the 61-65 Continental are expensive cars to maintain, repair and restore.

Cheers,
    Reijer

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

So you think finding parts for a 430 will be a pain and your thinking '48 and on down Lincoln V12? Good logic.

21. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you want to remove one of the finest big blocks ever made to put in a small block? :eek: where are the hamb police hiding? thats like being blessed John Holmes style and having the doc chop it off like pee wee herman. some things you just don't do!!!!! Old Lincolns and old Caddies just aren't right without that giant chunk of iron under the hood. If you aren't a big block kind of guy may I suggest a different car?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  22. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

FYI, This is not a 302. It is an FE, most likely a 427 if it is in a Cobra. Trust me, you will be very unhappy with a 302 in that large of a car. The ONLY acceptable change would be swap in an FE.

If you don't like the old Cruiso-Matic or whatever auto the car has, spend your money on a transmission adaptor (Wilcap or Bendtsen) and put a C6 or AOD in the car.

I am serious though, even if the motor is shot and you are hell bent on not using it, crate it up and send my way. I will even pay for shipping.

23. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I wonder if I could put that thing in my 90 instead of the 302? :D it was a sad day when they shrunk the motors, at least it's not one of the 4.7's

24. noxided

noxided

well if i got the v-12 it would be just a show car then. From what i am reading the mel is a great motor and i agree. however, if it is expensive to rebuild then why not shoe ot the same ammont and build a 302 and make mounts for it? Makeing the motor fit is not an issue for me, i ahve built seval frames and even takes bodies, motors and frames from differnt manufactures form different decades. So making it fit is no issue. All i know is i need torque and arond 350hp to make this car move. but how much torque?

25. noxided

noxided

oh and for the people that dont think i should change things on cars that work fine, thats jsut what i do, i make the car fit me, i like to do what people say cant be done. that and under the hood of that car even if the motor is cleaned up just looks cluttered.

26. 55nailhead

55nailhead

hahahaha brigs and stratton

27. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Lots of torque. Mountains of it even. Hence the advent of the 430.

28. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Put webers and stacks on the 430.

29. teddyp

teddyp

put a sbc in it and make them all . This is one of the nicest linc. ever made redo the big block and dress it up

30. Tim64

Tim64

I've had my eye on a 62 lincoln convertible. So from what I'm reading you can put a modern carb and electronic ignition in this monster and get 20 mpg? Come on! Really!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.