Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the hairist ride you very had in or on a vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kruizin, Aug 3, 2010.

1. G'day,

This was actually my brother's wild ride, I just had to pick up the pieces. He was driving a 66 Tempest that we had just dropped a sbc into. He said that he was just taking it easy as he was breaking the motor in. State patrol clocked him at 120 and decided that they wanted to talk to this young man so the pursuit was on.

By the end of his "break in" run he had 5 state patrolmen chasing him and they were not gaining ground on him. However, on a curve in Ardoch, ND, an oncoming car crossed the center line into his lane forcing him off the road. The curve sign that he hit took the windshield pillar and windshield out. The other side of the ditch flipped the car around destroying the front end of the car. When the dust settled and he regained his senses, he realized there was an officer of the law leaning on what was left of the front end pointing a large caliber weapon at him.

Fleeing an officer, excessive speed, reckless driving etc. No license for him for quite some time.

ms

2. Scarynickname

Scarynickname
    from Toney, Al

Here's another wild ride in 2003 on turn seven of the nourth course at VIR. This time on a Triumph. I'll let the photo say the rest.

Attached Files:

3. 72ssguy

72ssguy

I was a senior in high school riding with three of my buddies in a 65 442 on a Friday night. We were cruising through Stillwater on a service road just off highway 36, rolling in front of Famous Dave's barbaque where one of the guys in the car use to work. He was a bit disgruntled, so we were all flicking off Famous Daves. What we failed to realize was that the Lumina in front of us had stopped dead to turn in to the parking lot. Our driver realized this just a split second before the impact was unavoidable. He locked up the brakes, tires smoking, cranked the wheel and managed to skid on the gravel shoulder next to the other car until we were even with the front passenger's window on the Lumina. All I remember is the four of us screaming, me digging my feet under the rear seat in hopes of not flying through the windshield, and the petrified look of all the people in both cars over what almost happened. My buddy then broke the ice by waving to the other car, peeling out, and turning into a Napa parking lot a few blocks down where we all sat in dead silence for several minutes thinking about what almost happened. After the theraputic reflection we decided that the only prescription to make us feel better was octane booster. So we went into napa bought two cans of octane booster and proceeded to make the most of our Friday night cruising and laying rubber.

4. Two laps into the feature and I finally got it to run right so we are actually running with the pack, havin a blast so far, coming into the front stretch there is a car sideways in the track. You blast by and just as you get next to the car, it moves into the same lane as you.....folding hoods...hot coolant flying...the smell and taste of dirt and dust...steering wheel falls in your lap..lights out..wake up in the infield trying to stop the car...gotta love short track racing....that was in August 2002...the car never ran again..the driver was back at the track in 3 weeks..

5. Diehard32

Diehard32

1993 - Just finished a brake job on the old pick-up and started around the block for a test drive with my son who's glad he's getting new brakes. 1st mistake: Heading toward a 4 lane blvd. Test pump the brakes, all seems well. Approach stop sign and oops, NO BRAKES!!! We roll right thru the intersection in front of a speeding truck that is honking and screeching to miss us. I roll up on the median and gather my thoughts and am quickly approached by an off duty cop who was driving the speeding pick up. I see his daughter is crying her head off from being slammed into the dash (not wearing a seatbelt) and he's blaming me for her pain. 2nd mistake: Not thinking before I speak, I have to ask why she didn't have her seatbelt on? It wasn't pretty after that, but all he could do was yell. Lesson learned, NO TEST DRIVES TOWARDS INTERSECTIONS.

Be Safe!!!!

6. ibarodder

ibarodder

I was in a hurry for a test drive so I put in one old bucket seat without bolting it down. The car was running pretty good so on the way home I got on it a little, as soon as I banged 2nd gear the seat flipped over backward with me in it. The car stopped and it didnt hurt anything but its a wonder I didnt get killed.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Back in the day, one night I had a car well up there, probably over 100 MPH. Drove it right home and parked it. The next day right after work I fired it up and drove about 100 feet when the left front wheel fell off. Many times I think of what might have happened if that wheel had come off when I was getting after it the night before. Doubt I'd have lived to tell about it. Guess it just wasn't my time.

8. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

360 + 180 starting at 85mph in traffic after total tread separation/blowout/fender rip off in my Model A..................with the wife driving.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

As a passenger in a friends 68 cutlass jumping rail road grades out on some back country roads..and I do mean airborn

10. S.F.

S.F.

well, first off, my 400 + hp roadster...its completely violent and hairy everytime I drive it...BUT before that I road in BLACKTOPBANDITS coupe here on the hamb. It was the hardest ive ever seen anyone drive anything in my life...the little cammed 283 with 3x2's was pegged at 6500 rpm the whole time. I swear a piston was going to fly through the windsheild at my face at any minute. But she held together and is still running perfect 2 years later.

11. nwaringa

nwaringa

100 mph in an OT Dodge Omni down a steep steep hill... hub cap flew off at around 85. If you know Mopar in the 80's you'll know what I am talking about.

"Early on, the cars had a shaky period after Consumer Reports magazine tested one and reported that it easily went out of control in hard maneuvering."

Kids do stupid things.

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd like to see a Dodge Omni doing 100 mph.

13. RichG

RichG

Our little four door '81 would easily cruise at 85... never had it up to 100 though...

My hairiest ride? That would have to be Sasquatch and me, cruising around in his '65 Chrysler Newport, squirting Aqua-net into a jar of water and drinking it (the Navajos call it "firewater")... good times, good times...

14. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

In December of 2003 my friend UF and I left Phoenix heading back to Minnesota in his recently departed father's Suburban. To make a long story short, 20 miles past Flagstaff I was passing a semi when the BRAND NEW BF Goodrich on the right front blew to pieces. The heavily loaded Suburban made an immediate hard right doing about 75-80 miles per hour. To this day we have no idea what happened to the semi other than it somehow missed us. UF was hugging the console 'cause he wouldn't wear a seatbelt and I was doing the play by play as we careened out of control. I managed to miss the guardrail and some rather large boulders along the highway before getting the suburban hauled to a stop. How we didn't crash or roll is a miracle...

15. her name was rose or flor . mexican lady from cali

16. Old Gold

Old Gold

X2:eek:

17. cheveey57

cheveey57

I was a passenger back in the day, my friend had a 455 GS stage 1 convertible with a 4 speed. ( I would hate to think what that babies worth now)
    Anyway John was a psycho and we were doing 100 plus on the interboro parkway. For those that don't know it, it's a two lane road with narrow lanes and crazy ass s turns the way through. Needed new shorts after that ride.............

18. First year of having my drivers license, my sister and I are going to our aunt's house for Thanksgiving driving dad's stock 1950 chevy 3100. It had just rained 1/2 hour before we left. Driving down a busy street with lots of traffic, the light turns red and I hit the brakes. We did a complete 360, never hit anyone or anything. Truck came to a stop pointed in the right direction. The guy next to me gave me a thumbs up. Same trip, turn the corner on Aunt's street and the drivers door flys open. Great memories!

Still have the truck too!

19. young olds

young olds

when i was 16 i had a friend over and we were just cruising around, him on an 80cc dirt bike me on a lightly modded riding mower, when i decided we should race. Knowing i couldnt win on flat land i decide to go to the top of a hill about half a mile long with a couple of turns. We decided to start at the top and race to a pole at the bottom, my mower had a true 3 speed trans-axle so i put it in neutral for the race. We started off good with me in front but my friend came around me on the first turn so i let my brakes all the way out, i had the brakes on a little because i knew if the mower started going to fast the brakes werent good enough to slow it down, and was gaining speed. I was coming up to the second turn fast, which happened to be the sharpest and steepest part of the hill. i through the trans axle into gear, to slow down in fear of taking the turn to fast and rolling the mower, and emedietly heard one of the axle shafts break while still gaining speed. so i had to do something; stay on and try to take the turn, stay on and go straight into some rocks or over the side of the hill, or jump off i chose to jump off. the hole time this is happening im right behind my friend so i turn away from him put both my legs on one side the proceeded to jump off into some dirt landing backwards rolling over and scraping my head on some rocks. when my axle broke i yelled "oh shit" my friend said he heard me turned around and saw me jump off so he stopped and watched me tumble on the ground, said i looked like a ragdoll tumbling head over heels. i laid on the ground momentarily before jumping up and looking around my friend started laughing really hard then when i finnally put everything together we were just standing there talking about what just happened and he said your head is bleeding so he gave me a ride home and i washed my head in the sink and my mom looked at it turned out to just be a scrape. later that day we went back to get the battery and gas while there we could see from were i landed to were i stoped was about 25ft, the mower had hit a bank and rolled bending the rear sheet metal and folding the seat in half. i have a scar with a good stories to go with it now. recenlty, about a month after the accident, i rode my dirt bike up that hill and wondered why i thought that was a good idea.

20. Growing up in the country, my buddy and I had plenty of roads on which to hone our 'dangerous' driving skills. However, we had a third, younger buddy who lived in the city and got his license a few years after us. After years of riding with us, I guess he felt he had to prove that he was a great driver as well... We all piled in to his dad's new (O/T) Ford truck and he took us out for a joyride. Went over to the shipping yard where the semi's load and unload... massive paved surfaces and plenty of room to open things up. We hit about 140km, my buddy feeling confident behind the wheel. All of the sudden, we realize at the exact same time that the pavement drops off, about a 4 foot drop, to a lower section. Buddy decides to punch the breaks, which drops the front end hard, we go over that drop nose down, hit the lower section, and grind along for a little while before the back wheels dropped back down and chirped along the pavement. He had some explaining to do to his dad on what happened to the front end, and my other buddy and I haven't ridden with him since.

Another story, driving way too fast in the winter in an O/T car. A snow plow was ahead of me paving the shoulder, so I had plenty of room in my lane. A semi rounds the bend and I'm thinking "ok, I still have plenty of room in my lane". Next thing I know, the plow dips out to avoid a mailbox and suddenly I'm shooting the gap at 120 with an oncoming semi on one side and a plow scraping my mirror on the other... had to stop at the convenience store in the next town and calm down.

Got a few more I'll share at some point

21. Buddy and I flipped 69 Z/28 end over end...We now call it "The Orange Crush Camaro"... I will take some pictures of the pictures and post them...This was 20 some odd years ago...R~R

22. driving an rv over mingus mountain in central az (100 foot drop offs, 40 billion turns, yadda, yadda, yadda) and having a tire blow out.. oh yeah same road different car... with no reverse came up on an accident blocking the road and didn't have enough room for a u turn and no reverse to make a 3 point turn... had to put it in neutral and go backwards down hill for about 4 miles until i could find a spot to gravity back into...

23. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

Hot rod Lincoln (430) powered flatbottom boat on rough water you shouldnt go to fast on. Well, we went too fast anyway, boat started bouncing from side to side coming up about 60 degrees... talk about a death wobble. I freaked.

24. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

was haulin a 57 Eldorado on this huge contractors trailer. I think the trailer weighed more than the Cad! well at about 50 mph it started to wander a bit and was slowly getting worse as i tried correcting, an with my lil' 62 unibody ford PU, an crappy loose steering wasnt helping any. Man pretty soon it was slurring back and forth taking up both lanes and I could see the car wiggling on the trailer wagging back an forth. My heart was tryin to jump out my chest! There were big drop offs on each side of the road I was thinkin I didnt want that Eldo, and trailer piled up on top of me! but finally it slowed down enuff and slowly I got it stopped. I sat there for awhile and thinking about how I luck'd out and didnt end up under a big pile of Eldo, trailern n pickup in that gully.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  25. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

In the late 1960's, I was riding in the back seat of a friends 32 Chev sedan. The car was running a bored and stroked 394 Olds, out to I think about 484 inches, and was blown with a couple of carbs. Anyway he was going to race another guy and when he got on it, the body twisted one way and the engine the other; which was a very interesting picture looking out the windshield from the back seat.

The race took place in south Seattle and the other car was a Kellison bodied sports car from north Seattle.

26. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Back in 75 I met this gal, oh wait thats a different kinda hairiest.

27. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I've had a few, problem is the best ones, all though true, are pretty much unbelievable, one of the funniest being the time my brother-in-law ran off the road in his 55 chevy 2 dr, after the "custom" steering wheel came off in his hands, and he was unsuccessful steering by grabbing the steering shaft with his hands. The car bottomed out going across a cow pasture, throwing him out, and into the side of a cow, which probably saved my bro's life, but did not bode well for the cow, which had it's hip broken by the impact. If cows are ever surprised, I bet that one was.

28. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

When I was about 12 me and my friend Ken decided to take his moms new electra 225 for a ride. While she was out of town. He said he could drive the thing so I got in with him we drove down to the Juinor High and thought we should run the bases on the ball field. It was all good until someone called the cops they seen us and gave chase. We exited through the field behind the school but there was stumps back there . We found a large one at about 60 mph that old buick still screams in my dreams ! but it rose up 7 'in the rear but when it came down the local cop car was under the rear bumper before it had stopped good we ran to the woods a little bruised but still fast. We made it back to Kens house his sister was making out with her boyfriend. We slipped in the house. The next day she ask us if we had seen someone in the car because it had been stolen and wrecked !!

29. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

55 chev -283 4 spd - 1st to second steering wheel comes off - driver hands it to me and then grabs steering shaft. Streaks I tell ya!

o/t 4x4 - hill climb with autolock hubs, can't make it - sideways bounce down hill -several minutes to regroup.

many more ... must have had horseshoes!

30. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

this is the scariest ride ive ever had,it gets lose at 60mph under boost.[​IMG]