Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Guy from Hilliard (Columbus) Ohio

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by CMEddy, Jul 14, 2009.

1. CMEddy

CMEddy
    from Hilliard

Hey out there! I became interested in drag racing before I ever went to the drag strip in Kirlersville Ohio, National Trails Raceway. I had a neighbor who had a primered 55 Chevy and he gave me my first lesson in Drag Racing 101. It doesn't go fast, it goes quick.
    I had a couple of 57 Chevy 2 doors before I was 16, then came a 1960 Chevy convertible, 348, glass packs and a nasty three speed trany. The day I bought it I blew out the clutch and the day after I was taught to replace it. I did so three more times in a couple of months when I found out that a school bus also used a 348 and I got one for the car.
    From there I went to a 1968 Mustang that ran N/SS at national trails, but with a three speed and open gears I couldn't get close to the others so I ran ET bracket with a dial in of 12.88. The car was identical to the Steve McQueen bullet car, except I had 20" rear Mickey Thompson's on those wheels!
    I cruised a place called Green Gables for years in the car, raced a few times got beat a few and won a few, but it prompted me to test drive a lot of cars so I could tell what my 'competition' was running like. So I drove HO Cutlass, Baldwin Motion Cameros, 427 Corvettes, Hemi and 440 Dodges and Plymouths, AMX's AARs and several Darts. So I knew what NOT to pick on for the most part.
    Prior to the Mustang, and getting a drivers license, my father saw my interest (and my brother's) in drag racing so when he had the opportunity to buy into a dragster he thought it would be a few $$ well spent so we could go with the crew and get a good education on drag racing. So we did!
    I sure would love to see or maybe even buy that old Ford, if possible, but I figure it didn't make it up to now. That was in 64 (?) to about 68. It was solid red and ran F/GS. It ran at Hyde Park as well as National Trails, and a few other places. It was based on the West Side of Columbus Ohio.
    I've continued to go for a lot of race leaning cars throughout life, including a sweet but slow 1970 Gran Prix with a custom paint job, A Z24, and a Z34, a couple of V8 pickups with 350
    s and one 1970 Olds Cutlass I was cloning into a Hurst Olds but never got completed, and a Monza V8 (Not the Corvair) that ran OK.
    I was floored by the photos in the history of National Trails and have been way too long winded here so I'll close by stating, "It doesn't go fast, it goes Quick!"

2. 56truk

56truk
    from piqua,ohio

Welcome from Piqua, Ohio!!!!!

3. chris55

chris55

Welcome from Centerville.

4. tee joint

tee joint

hey there tee joint,from covington

5. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

welcome from utah

6. rottenrod

rottenrod

welcome from IL. Used to live in Hillard and then Grove city for a while.

7. Jade

Jade

Welcome!! Damn we got a bunch of Miami Valley Rodders here!

8. Welcome from Des Moines, Iowa!

9. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

welcome from wayOUT weST AZ.............

10. Welcome from Connecticut

11. Welcome...from a Worthington Hi grad....many years ago

12. big bad john

big bad john

Welcome from Wisconsin