Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not getting spark.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zgears, Oct 17, 2010.

1. zgears

zgears

So I've got a car that turns over but not getting spark. electrical is not my strong point, where do I start?

2. Start looking for missing or loose connections and broken wires.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe a little more info. What is it? Is it stock or modified? 6-Volts? 12-Volts? Points?

Lots of variables.

4. zgears

zgears

this junk,61 Metropolitan, 12volt, stock.
    hey... it was free.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

5. i'd bet it's the coil.

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

With a test light perfered or volt meter turn on key and block points open. Start a key side of coil and work your way down to the points. Power to the moveable point ? If so connect tester across points light comes on? If so clean the points. If this all checks OK first try a condensor then a coil. Of course confirm the points are opening and closing corectly.

7. Yeah the points could just need filing.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check for power at the positive terminal of the coil with the key in the run position.

Pull the cap and check the cap, rotor and points. Have someone crank the engine and see if the points move.

If the points move, and you have power at the positive terminal of the coil, pull both coil leads and check the resistance between the positive and negative terminals.

9. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

10. zgears

zgears

found this video. tested the coil, it works. filed the points, no spark. condenser I think.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJYJ3KvPhhY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rJYJ3KvPhhY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. I'm gonna guess the plate the points mount to is rusty & you have no ground

12. zgears

zgears

points spark when turned over. no power out to coil.

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

If the points make a spark, then there should be power at coil, as the points are just completing the circuit.
    So it sounds like the coil itself is bad.

14. zgears

zgears

The coil sparks, and the spark is not being passed through to the plug.

15. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

So you pulled the coil wire off the distributor and verified that you get a spark there? If so, the only things it can be are the cap, rotor, or plug wires.