Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do you know about su carburators? help id

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32coupedeville, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i was at the hersey swap and found this neat su carburator . now i dont really want to use the carb but mit had a very cool scoop on it . i would like to get another carb with this scoop and use the scoops for 40 ford brake ducts. can you help with id it so i can pick up another carb or scoop? thanks. drew

Attached Files:

2. oj

oj

Dunno what su (they come on jags?) but you could cut it in half and add a flat to remake the scoop and act as a mounting flange, then you'd have a left and right section. Just a thought.

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The carb is a side draft and the "scoop" was to mount the air filter. Late '60s early '70s Austin America used that setup.

4. 6inarow

6inarow

5. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

SU's came on all kinds of British makes, I know them mostly from Austin-Healey's, but they also came on Jags, MG's, Volvo's (yeah really), Triumph's, Sunbeam's etc.

From the bottom of the carb and the connection to the float bowl I'd say the carb is an "HS" model SU, the series would be determined by the diameter of the throat. IE, an HS-6 has a 1 1/2" inlet, a HS-8 has a 2" inlet, etc.

I've never seen a scoop like that though, so I feel pretty confident in saying that it didn't come off of any Austin-Healey or MG, they all bolted the air filters straight to the carb.

Update:
    SU carb's website lists the AUD 296 as an HS4, and has it listed for use on a 1968 Austin America.

http://www.sucarb.co.uk/CarbEssentials.aspx?ProductId=11069

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  6. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Dang you guys are fast! 6inarow beat me to it...

7. that looks like it was from a mini or morris minor ive worked on hundreds but that was along time ago

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

That just won't work...its' a METRIC scoop...no way to make it fit an american car. Send it to me and I'll make sure it's properly disposed of.

dj

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I may have another scoop like that - I'll have to dig around at work this week (I restore english cars for a living) .

Not metric , BTW ... ;)

10. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

anyone have any of these carbs with this scoop? of just the scoop? any more info? please

11. i may have one ill have a look in the scrap and see

12. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

please let me know. i am a willing buyer.

13. aaggie

aaggie

I had a 1972 Datsun 240Z and it had British SUs on it. The later ones had Japanese copies made by Hitachi. That was an inline six that would get your attention.

14. If the tag marked AUD 296 is original to the carb then it came off an American spec 1968 MG 1300 with an automatic gearbox.

Lots of those "scoops" available here and, I'm sure, in the US. They came on all manner of A series engines. I have a couple floating around in the workshop. PM if you can't find anything over there.

15. found some scoops for ya but they are round ill try and ad pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i am looking for the oval mounts .

17. otanica

otanica
    from Australia

[​IMG]

I think you will find them under these style air cleaners found in Minis. The round style are under smaller sheetmetal styles filter on earlier cars.

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Hey 32CoupeDeVille - I know it's been a while , but have you found a 2nd scoop yet ?? I finally located one for you (what a bugger - apparently we tossed a bunch of 'em at some point) . I have it sitting right here at the house if you still need it & it's in great shape .

19. 6inarow

6inarow

I'd be interested in a few too.

20. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

This does match with Euro and Asian 4 Cyl engines of 1960's era and Blackjack has mentioned of the British 1300 engines .
    They are great on multicarb setups as maintenance is easy as is tuning many Euro club racers used these also . I'm not familiar with scoops sorry about that but they are worth a try and fun and reliable .

21. squirrel

squirrel

12 year old thread....

6inarow, Desoto291Hemi and Moriarity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.