Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowered custom guys: you bash the heck out of your rocker panels?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I just put new ones in last year and they're absolutely trashed. I honestly don't know if its from driving or just misc shop damage or what, but they're beat.

I'm half inclined not to fix the damage and just paint the car as is, since it seems the lower 5" of my shoebox is a magnet for dents anyhow.

Do you guys bang up your rockers too or is it just me? I don't *remember* hitting anything with them , but it's sure happend sometime LOL

2. clinthull

clinthull

I plated the rockers of mine with 3/16 angle iron it seems to strengthen them pretty good

3. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

My edsel is static dropped so ther eis only about 3-4" of clearance, but the wonderful thing is the frame lays lower than the rocker by a little bit sit it drags first, and everything is tucked up higher than the frame.

No issues here. just speedbumps are a issue, it will drag the frame over them.

4. ems customer service

ems customer service

you trash'em we'll make more

5. roddinron

roddinron

Sounds like there's a need for you to develop some rocker armor. Might be a great seller around here.

6. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Not a bad idea. You could layer the bottoms with 1/16th plate or something of the sort.

7. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Lol at EMS

Rocker armor? Neat idea. I gotta think about that!

8. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

Many of the bottom pinch welds are 3/4 inch, a piece of 1X tube steel tucked up on the inside has worked good on a couple of my rides. It's like a speed bump slider.

9. RDR

RDR

1X2 box tubing welded down my frame rails like sled runners...hang below the side pipes by 1/4" or the pipes would be bent continually from driveways,speedbumps, etc...works for me..

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Seems like it would be cheaper and easier to build a skid plate under the car that would take the punishment instead of your pretty rockers. Fortunately for me, my frame is the lowest part of the car ;)

11. cretin

cretin

I've always had lowered cars and have just learned to scan the road for hazards, I don't have any problems with my rockers.

12. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

80% of the vehicles I've owned over the years (and I've owned a ton) have been lowered, some bagged, some static. I never damaged the body, rockers, or bumpers, just the tailpipes and misc undercarriage parts got slight scrapes and bruises, but even that was seldom, and all my lowered cars have been daily drivers.

13. on my lowerd truck i just hit the little switches next to me when i see a bump. but in all honest i just watch were im going. only thing iv damaged was rollpans

14. BadLuck

BadLuck

never had that problem with mine....

15. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

My frame is just a bit lower than my rockers, so it takes the abuse.

16. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Avoid the I-5, parts of the 60, and various sections of the 101, and you'll be alright.

17. prost34

prost34

i build stops in my cars,just a hair off the ground,

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those, and any other California route with an 8 in it.

19. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Dully noted Gimpy!!:D

20. ems customer service

ems customer service

ok i started it with a smart ass comment, now is it something you guys really want??

we can make a skid plate for the rockers, we have the equipement for heavy plate bending

21. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I have never had a problem with it. Most of my cars frames were a bit lower than the body. That said the truck I am driving now has a heck of a channel. The running boards , and fender bottoms have seen better days. I am working on a fix.

22. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

that does seem odd. I would think you would notice if you hit something enough to damage the rockers... some heavy duty rockers might be just the trick for the guys that want their rides to lay the rockers on the ground.

23. choptvan

choptvan

Even though mine is on bags, I still hit the rockers tryin to keep it low. My rockers are still solid after slamin them a few times. Mine has the side pipes moulded in and I have 2.5 inch exhaust pipe that I used for the moulding. I can lift the car from the rockers and not get any damage.

24. kustomkat

kustomkat

Never had a problem in 20 years, 15 on the rockers. Don't have these "switches" you guys talk about. The car sits where it sits, although it does not lay on the frame... The only boo boo on mine is where the floor jack slipped and smacked the rocker...

25. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

unless your frame is above the rockers you should not have any issues. if you are body dropped or uni-body, then you need to figure out how to get over speedbumps better (or air up the car). I also cross over speed bumps at an angle, seems to lessen the drag.

26. roddinron

roddinron

I get a cut!:D

27. geemann51

geemann51

Well the other part of low is slow and I find I can typically avoid dents and heavy damage so far. The scuffs and sratches though are unavoidable. The one idea the painter and I came up with was to run a coat of undercoat on the underside where you can't easily see it and you can touch it up easily with some spray undercoating.