Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowered the shoebox....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adidasink, Oct 7, 2010.

1. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Well....I finally had a chance to really dedicate some time after work to get my car lowered this past week.

I ended up doing the Aerostar springs up front and 3 inch blocks in the back as a start....

I am thinking the rear is a tad bit too low but the stance is pretty close to what I am looking for....so I am looking for opinions..is the back too low...or do I need to bring down the front a little....and please...pay no attention to the wheels and tires....I have budgeted some new WWW that will go on in short order....just trying to figure out if I am going to go with a 57 Caddy hubcap or just a beauty ring and some spider caps....not sure yet... also unsure if I am going to put the skirts back on....

Anyways....here are a few pictures of the car as it sits now...let me know what you think....

Attached Files:

2. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

And for reference...this was the before pictures....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  3. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I think it would look good if you brought the front down to match it but when the springs settle it might be there anyways. It would be a good taildragger look if the skirts came all the way down to the quarter panel line, but I don't know if that's the look your goin for. Super nice car though!

4. I did the same set up as you did. After I got it done I thought the front was too high also. So I pulled it back apart and cut 1/2 a coil off, that lowered it another 1 1/4".

Attached Files:

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

This is a flipped mono spring. I tried a 3" dropped spring with blocks but it wasn't low enough.
    user14770_pic8780_1217120148.jpg

6. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

I am contemplating going with the Lowering Plates from Brockman to bring the front down more....http://www.brockmancustomparts.com/page11.html

@tudorfritz - Your car definitely has the height and stance I am looking for, I am just too afraid to cut the coils on the springs...I have had bad experience with that and heating coils in the past...by the way...I got all my ink work done in N. Tonawanda..I am originally from WNY myself...

@GassersGarage....love the look...those are some interesting side/lakes pipes you got there....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  7. If you cut the coils DONT use heat, use a cut off wheel and you will be fine.

8. Man , I do like those shoeboxes!!!!,,,,Sam

9. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

man looks good,
    i am going to do the same up with in the next few weeks.

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

They actually have motorcycle baffles. The ends were fabricated by "Chica", the motorcycle builder. You can't see it in the pictures, but the pipes are black, the ends are brass and the length of the pipes are pin striped. I got the car in a trade with "Bad Bob".

11. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

I was thinking about replacing the stock shocks on the rear with some air shocks so I can raise the car slightly when I have to get over certain road obstacles or heck just pulling in my driveway. Anyone using air shocks in the rear (I did a search to see if there were any recommendations but couldnt find any real part no listings)?

I just want to bolt on a set of air shocks...put a small compressor in the trunk and have the option to turn it on to raise it up a little when I am out driving...

12. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Anyone have any help to give on my shocks question?

13. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

My buddy with a '59 Buick uses air shocks and a compressor. He installed a cigarette light plug in the truck.

14. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Kind of what I was thinking....just now trying to figure out what rear shocks would fit...

Anyone with air shocks in the back of a 50 Ford that could tell me what part no they used?

15. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

No such thing as to low :cool: ....Id definately keep the skirts in the back as well

16. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

Definitely doesn't look too low. I would put the skirts back on, and get some of the '57 Caddy caps with a bullet center. Looks really nice on a shoebox that rolls around Denver, but if you are going for a more simple look go for the beauty rings.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

no idea on the rear air shocks. need to search here for links to shock sites. keep the skirts. the brockman lowering blocks look like a good way to go. cutting springs will make them stiffer. kool ride, not your belly button shoebox.

18. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Put the skirts ON!
    These pixs are B4 I cut a full coil out of the front and lowered the skirts an inch - to make the rear look even lower!

Attached Files:

19. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

You have to relocate the rear upper shock mounts, the angle from the factory was to flat to begin with and if you lower the car your shocks will do absolutely nothing, just my experience.
    Stock rear shocks work just fine, or airshocks for some extra boost.

20. clifforddean

clifforddean

Here's mine with aerostar springs and 3" blocks with 2 leaves removed. I got a Gambino tail dragger kit on it's way. I want to get the front lower and bagged but I'm just gonna do the rear for now. I was thinking of just cutting just a little off the springs. I had bogie blocks before I did the aerostar springs I did'nt like how it had lower A-arms hung down. It did do the job on the cheap though.

Attached Files:

21. joey tee

joey tee

skirts on an drop tha front...

22. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Sorry no advice on the air shocks.

I think a little off the front and your good. Well if you can get out of your driveway with the 3" blocks.

Looking good!

23. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

rear I have 3" posies drop springs and 3" blocks front I have 3" drop coils I had custom made from who knows where

When I put them in, the front looked too high. They told me they'd settle another 1 or so . Go figure, they were right, and now my rear is too high.

no big revelation here but if you look at the car with the skirts on they tend to make it look lower than it is, so you might try that before you do anything.

I'd say don't waste your time on the lowered spring pockets. It's traditional but it sucks. Also replacing the rivets with bolts may make it harder for you to replace the front swaybar or install an aftermarket one. Ask me how I know.

If you have to do something cut the springs.

Good luck, that car is cleeeeeeeeeeean! Congrats.

24. Pacsh

Pacsh
    from Venice, FL

Here is a pic of my shoebox before I sold it.

Lowered 2"front, 3" rear.....All blocks.

side.jpg

Watch out when lowering the rear. If you don't section out the trunk area, the rear end bangs like crazy over even small bumps

25. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

Aerostar up front and 3 inch blocks in the back. Back only bangs when two people are on the rear seats and I go over train tracks at more than 25mph. Otherwise it's fine. The front has settled a little, but I would still like to lower it another inch.

[​IMG]

spiffy1937 likes this.
  26. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Yeah...so far I see a lot of shoeboxes that im diggin....some cool ride heights...I may just run it for a while at the height it is and see where she settles....

Ultimately...which equates to saving up enough money.....I plan on bagging it...going with the Gambino Tail Dragger kit and running it that way.....

I am going to have to remove the rear shocks and drop the rear anyways in a few days just to get the wheels/tires off the car to swap in the WWW's.....so I figure I would replace the shocks front and rear while I am at it.....