Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Looking for info - Magnum Racing Engines in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30dodgeboy, Aug 6, 2010.

1. I am looking for any information anyone may have from Magnum Racing Engines which was a Speed Shop here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the 1960's. I am looking for old invoices, business cards, advertisements, etc in order to put together a little tribute. Anyone have anything?

2. Bump cause I wanna see this happen!
    [​IMG]

3. jesse1980

jesse1980

that would be cool, i just bought a magnum speed shop sponsored 55 chevy hardtop tilt nose drag car that was raced in the 60s and 70s. it still has all the old stickers and magnum racing engines on the quarter panels. its still in its original condtion except the motor and trans was missing and some other minor parts. i found it in a field in northern wisconsin. trying to get more info about this speed shop too.

4. i just talked with Augie that worked there. He does not remember much or have a computer. He said there never was a logo or letterhead that he recalls seeing. I have his number though. He is the guy that drew these signs in the background. There was a Magnum Racing booth at a show and at the last minute, Jim Luker decided they needed signs so he ran out and bought spray paint, magic markers and poster board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 9310alloy

9310alloy

He did excellent work..a wealth of smarts...He did machine work for me.
    Will look for any old records........Mike

Attached Files:

6. pictures !!

where in northern Wisconsin?

7. jesse1980

jesse1980

go to search and punch in magnum and it should come up on a few threads. thanks for the interest, trying to get info on it.

8. Warbird7

Warbird7

I have a good friend who bought a Plymouth Superbird new. Shortly after purchase, he took the car to Magnum Speed Shop to have the single 4bbl changed out for a 6 pack, and headers. He still owns the car, and I believe it still has the decal on the side glass with the Magnum Speed Shop logo on it.

9. I would REALLY like to talk to your friend. Please PM me his contact information, otherwise I will be happy to share mine.

10. Thanks Mike.

I can tell you did business with him from what you wrote.

11. Cool, How about posting a picture of the decal? That would be super cool!

12. Warbird7

Warbird7

I will see about getting a photo of the decal and post it up.

13. Warbird7

Warbird7

Here is the Magnum Speed Shop decal off Mike's car. He is one of the few original Superbird owners that still has the car. He bought the car new late in 1970, and took it to Magnum for mods almost immediately. He has a piece of paper behind the decal because of the window tint, now almost 40 years old.

[​IMG]

Side view of the car. All the paint is original. It has about 26k miles on it. The car was delivered with steelies and dog dish caps. Mike drove the car every day for a couple years and then bought a beater to drive. The mags are also 1971 vintage. The 6 pack carbs that Magnum put on it are the mechanical linkage versus the Chrysler vacuum setup. It has a 4-speed and is still a real strong runner.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  14. Wow, cool stuff!

Here is a Hilborn sales order for a setup Mike Gish ordered from Hilborn through Magnum.

[​IMG]

15. Warbird7

Warbird7

You mentioned Augie doing the signs and artwork for the Fiat at the car show. Mike bought a Six Pack hood scoop and in the early 70's seriously thought about putting it on the Superbird. Mike showed me this rendering that Augie did this rendering of what it might look like. Cool stuff...

[​IMG]

16. That is really neat!

17. Just saw this thread and remember seeing the Superbird on Hwy 100 as well as certain Anglia's and Topolinos...!

That was one of the places where all the Speed shops like Magnum... Schliepers... Performance Engineering advertised!!!

18. BTTT

Anyone else have any information on MAGNUM?

19. there was also a magnum engine shop in sturtevant wi. it was located on hwy 11 just west of the train station south side of the road. they mainly did mopars. this was in the mid 80s. just so there is no confusion.

20. I knew the owner during those years, so the shop in sturtevant with a similar name is just coincidence. Thanks anyways.