Register now to get rid of these ads!

School me on 283's!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zodiac matt, Oct 15, 2010.

1. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

Looking to put a 283 in my 64 gmc pickup, keeping the 3 speed. I'd like to start with the best factory setup possible, clean it up, new gaskets, ect. I'd like to upgrade the carb and intake, maybe the cam too. What do you guys think i should look for as far as factory, one from a corvette? Thanks, Matt

oh heres the truck, buying wide whites for it this weekend, pic is the day i got it.
    [​IMG]

will have an updated one tomorrow

2. yes , get one from a corvette......

3. Silly, they are all from a Corvette!@

4. actually , if you are changing the carb , intake , cam there wouldn't be any reason for a factory performance 283 like a vette

get a basic 283 , rebuild with new pistons and a bore , powerpack heads with hardened seats on the exhaust , a dual plane intake with a 500 CFM edelbrock carb, a mild cam from Summit , a dual point distributor and you will be good to go

that's the 283 in my `36

283 build formulas has been discussed here a lot , everyone's got a different idea. build it the way that you will actually use it. if you are not racing stay away from wild cams

5. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

36-6 that setup sounds perfect, how do i know to idenify if the heads are powerpack heads?

6. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

because they will be PACKED with power

7. Hahahaha....but seriously...use 305 heads on a 283...already have hardened seats and 1.80 intake valves...and they're cheap!

8. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

283= durable, rev-able power that you can count on. Like the man said....do it mild....match your parts and it'll be there for ya! THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN A 283 IS THE 302 Z motors!

9. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

What he said!!!!:D

10. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

you can identify a powerpak head by the casting marks or numbers, sorry no pics but u can google it. and a 305 head would be cheap and work well but just wouldnt look as cool

11. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Yea, Take Tmans advice look theings up, read and educate yourself. Don't do the double hump heads thing with the angle plug heads and the 2.050 intakes thing....build yourself a good streetable motor that'll stay with ya....Theres trillions of parts out there for the motors, and they're dirt cheap!

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

You mean I didn't have a 283 in my '58 Chevy Belair?:eek:

13. I fear that joke went over your head. Every smallblock you see advertised or listed in spec in a magazine "always" is called a Corvette mill;):p:)

14. dudley32

dudley32

power pack heads have a rectangle with a triangle on top of it cast into the front of the head...d32

15. Four Banger

Four Banger

Keep things on the mild side, and it'll all be good! If it's a 283, you can't go wrong. I'm from a dyed in the wool Ford family, and I've made a life out of HATING Chevrolets in general, and small blocks in particular.....I'm in love with the 283...it was absolute perfection in a cheap to produce engine. Small blocks got bigger, and more powerfull, but never as tough, reliable, and durable as the awesome 283!

16. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Don't forget 327 w/fuelie heads.

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

had a 283 , out to 301 , double hump heads , dual (corvette) quad alum slot manifold . power to spare & ran forever .......... steve

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Also 2.02 valves wont work, the biggest you can go are 1.94's

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

D'oh! Gotcha, guess my signature says it all! lol

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  20. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Find a 327 small journal crank and make a stroker 283 - 307. Tunnel ram with headers and a nasty cam...Hotrod Deluxe was able to make 405 hp out of a .60 over 283 with a 327 crank.

21. pcterm2

pcterm2

what eng does it have now?

22. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

Any reason you want a 283? A 350 is easy to find, makes more power, and you can install old style intake and valve covers and tell everyone its a 283. From a Corvette.....

The CID in my truck is whatever the guy asking guesses- " Is that a 327?" Yes. Well sometimes I tell em its a 400.

23. zodiac matt

zodiac matt

ya, i like them, i dont wanna use a newer block, i like using parts from back in the day, a simple 283 is all i need, currently in it is a 230 inline 6 that needs work

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I rather have to agree with Astrochimp in that if it is going to be a driver I'd go with a 350 no matter what the gotta have a small journal guys say.

Cost will be about a third or more less just due to over the counter prices for internal parts.

On the Corvette 283 thing. If you check production numbers of 47 through 62 Corvettes you will quickly see that there weren't all that many of them made and the truth is that the dealers parts counters sold hundreds of sets of Corvette finned aluminum valve covers for every Corvette that went through the show room. Those valve covers were right around 30.00 a pair in the mid 60's here in town with no discount. I helped at least three friends install sets of them on their cars in auto shop in highschool and right then and there they had a "Corvette" motor in the car.

If you want to do a 283 I would find a solid one and then bore it enough to clean it up, pick up a set of power pack heads, a mid 70's z-28 Spec cam and a decent period correct intake such as a 300hp 327 cast iron intake or older aluminum intake.
    Don't knock a 307 block with the power pack heads, Z-28 hydraulic cam 300 hp intake with a decent carb on it. We had one in my oldest son's 70 Chev C-10 and it turned out to be an animal that was hell on wheels in stop light to stop light blasts on the Ave back in the late 80's

The thing with the early heads is as others previously said. You will have to spend the money to have hard seats put in them plus most of them are pretty well worn out by now and will need guides and all new valves and springs. Expect to spend some bux to get that done. The 305 HO heads are fairly inexpensive, have hard seats and flow fairly well on small displacement engines. But they don't have the old head look as they have the holes for accessory brackets.

Above all and all bs aside, price out several different combinations and see what the cost will be. The cost of the early appearing valve covers, intake, carb and air cleaner along with other accessories will be the same and out side of a couple of minor details the engines will look the same if you make an effort to have them look the same. You could even run a 350 short block with Power pack or camel hump heads and call it a honked up 283 95% of the guys would have to crawl in the engine compartment and look at the casting number to know the difference.

25. dragracingfirebird

dragracingfirebird
    from pa.

most of the 283's are packed with rust! OR big $

26. Truckedup

Truckedup

Did someone say 283 stroker,like a 307? Did I hear Power Pac heads? I got a 307 and a set of early 60's Power Pac heads,worn but rebuildable,50 bucks,that's a little less than scrap price.

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

power pack heads...see the rectangle and triangle?

[​IMG]

28. What ever you do don't settle for a 3/4 race cam !! >>>>.

29. Hot_Rod_Joe

Hot_Rod_Joe

I've got a rebuilt 283 with 305 heads sitting on an engine stand...