Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you sell your car you just finished to buy something else?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Burton, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It just gets better and better Lucky you know that.

2. Gwinn2932

Gwinn2932

I do it all of the time. I have to have something in my shop to do all of the time for some reason. I'll sell a complete car to have enough money to buy another project and get a good start on parts to get it together. I love having a project but hate not having the money to work on it. That's my cure for that.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Awww Mitch, say it isn't so. Your car came out so nice!

4. I Have! More than once

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yuppers and it is very contagious. I think that most of us have it in one way or another. The 48 will probably never go away anytime soon or at least it's latest version but all bets are off on all the others.

The roadster I am building now will probably get sold when what ever I build to put the 8BA I have stashed gets going. But the roadster is being built just because I always wanted to build one and not necessarily because I wanted to keep it. Hell, most of us are probably three cars ahead of the current project as far as doing the "what if and what next" dreaming thing.

6. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Mr48Chev has it right, as do the rest of you. I just got my 50 on the road, and no sooner than I had it there, than I put it up in the classifieds. No trade offers have really bitten me the right way, so here it sits....and I'm beginning to wonder if it's a sign. This was my first project....ever.....and while I worked on it as my wife looked on, it turned into a nice little ride. I started building this car with absolutely no knowledge of autos other than checking the fluids. It should have more sentimental value because of that....or at least that's what I keep telling myself. Of course there are things I'd really like to do to it, like finish the body work up right, chop the top maybe....along with buttoning up little things left undone. BUT....I can't stop thinking about what I want to do next! I'm looking at a 57 Buick that's got my mind racing....but the damn thing is so big, and I've got so little room, I'd have to store it out of state until we move.....which leads me to dreaming about doing an ULTRA budget build Model A.....I know my wife would be pissed.....but I'm just so ADDICTED now :/

7. McPhail

McPhail

I always buy high, sink alot of money and effort into a car, and then sell it low just to get on to the next project. my wife loves this particular aspect of my psyche.....

8. paintcan54

paintcan54

I worked on my '41 Ford Sedan for 3 years, had it to the point that all it needed was to finish the floors and hang the fenders on, got a offer to trade and made the trade. I got a finished driver for my project, the plus side was it was a car I have been wanting for a while.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a friend or 2 on here that knows and at times helped me do the same thing for years to continue the way "up". It used to be musclecars, always an antique or classic, sometimes a hotrod. Here, I'll illustrate a couple that will make some of you scream (I have nightmares over the 2nd one!). Bought a 33 Ford Tudor. One of the most solid hotrods we ever had. Got it sorted out and running. Metallic blue, steelies and thin whites, SBC mated to the Ford trans with Zephyr gears. Was fun. Kool hotrod. Sold it. Tripled our money in less than 2 months. Found a partially disassembled 36 3W in similar condition. Had the SBC and Ford trans, a copper and white tuck n rol interior with a copper dash and 59 Impala wheel. Black natty lookin paint, fenders off. Got dirt cheap. Got it home and wheeled it out to near perfect, had no rust EVER and we hung the fenders on it. Drove that one around for a few months. Made too much money to talk about it and had guys fighting over who showed up 1st. Moved up to a Packard. See? The 2nd one would give anyone a nightmare! I'd dearly love to have it today, but doing that for decades has returned acreage, home shop space, 3 Packards, a 61 Bubbletop, a 54 Chev PU, a salon for my dear Mrs Highlander, shop equipment...

I may have done this all a different way but it always works to trade up or keep moving. With the exception of 2 of my cars I'd sell any of em at any time if the need arised, new project or personal goal, doesn't matter. I was actually gonna sell the 61 last winter but the guy's offer pissed me off so bad I'ma finish it. If he wasn't the father of very close and dear friend he'd have recieved a size 12 suppository as he was shown the door. He doesn't even know he insulted me and my car. Some goals aren't financial...

10. I have no problem selling them when finished, it opens the door for the next one. One day, I hope there is the "one" car, that I just have to keep for the rest of my life, so far that hasn't happened. If I had Jay Leno's money, I would have as many as he does, but I don't have his money or space to house them. Space is my largest hurdle, I only have space for three cars inside, and don't/won't leave them outside. With the limited space, and the interest/desire for several different vehicles, I must "rotate" them so to speak.

11. If you're going to sell it, do it now while everyone still has it on the cover of the magazine on the coffee table..

12. I'm sure we all have in our past "the one that got away" - one we wished we'd kept. I have a few I miss, too. I've found that the cure is just keep moving forward- after so many cars, they're all just 'pieces' now. I know there are some who have cars that were in the family, or a historic car that is special, and those would be exceptions. I guess I'm now more of a "what's next?!" guy.

I think maybe I could narrow a collection list down to just 3 cars. Well, maybe 5. No, 10 for sure...

13. I don't know if I have ever kept one long enough to liscence it after I get done. Build, Shakedown, Sell, Repeat.

14. I used to only keep my cars for only a short time after I finished them but as I get older I seem to be hanging on to them longer. Must be gettin lazy.

15. BigRy

BigRy
    from colorado

Do what you feel. That is a cool shop truck and if it is the one that just came out in the mags, it is super cool and I am sure that it will be gone fast.

16. I always have too many of both drivers and projects, so selling is ok. I usually finish, drive for a while, then hang a sign on it. By the time I'm ready to sell there are usually a few people waiting for first shot at it.

17. I do it all the time

18. Plowboy

Plowboy

I would, I have, and I would do it again.....

19. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

That depends on just how much you 'love that shop truck'

I've done it. Build something, drive it a bit untill i get the itch to start another build, sell it, start over again.

Same with women:cool:

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

My Dad and I are just the opposite. Once we get seat time, it's rare to ever sell any of them.

21. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Thats exactly what I was thinking..

22. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I would give up everything for a 37-39 zephyr. Wouldnt even think twice about it! (3window coupe or convertible that is)

23. thendrix

thendrix

I thought that was the point.

24. Yup, been there done that. Sold my first car that I painted a couple years after I got it done when I was 16. Had more than one reason to sell.

Sold the Rocky 33 months after I bought it because I truly was having too much fun with it and KNEW I would just keep fixing things and tinkering with it taking time away from my touring project.

Sold/traded the Touring a couple years after I got it running because I was building a house/it was too low to get out of the unfinished shop/I was not using it enough/and the deal included something I wanted, a closed car.

The 54 is the only long term car I have. Bought it from Zeke in 2001 but it may soon go down the line.........

25. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

your truck is badass Lucky...Dont do it!!..but I'm sure you will build something equally as badass...your truck is inspiration for the A pickup i'm goin to build..

26. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Your car is finished is when you sell it. There is always something to do on your car.

27. I had 30 miles on my ground up restoration model A, 200 miles on my prostreet 64 vette, 1500 miles on my 34 Chevy in my avatar, 1000 miles on my blown 33 Willys and about 2000 miles on my first rod, a BBC 34 Ford pro street. I'd say yes.

28. Bull

Bull

My problem is I have a ton of builds in my head that I can't seem to shake, but I fall in love with them all and can't seem to bring myself to sell anything. I have a neighbor with the same problem of having tons of builds in mind but he's able to let them go down the road easily. I've watched him buy/sell/build about 25 cars in the 6 years I've known him -- compared to my 5 -- 3 of which I still own and can't bring myself to even think about selling to fund other projects.

29. uc4me

uc4me

30. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

I am doing just that.I enjoy the building side of it.Very go therapy for me. :D Do whatever is going to make you happy