Register now to get rid of these ads!

new to michigan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodsedan man, Oct 13, 2010.

1. 31hotrodsedan man

31hotrodsedan man

I just moved from pasadena CA to warren MI and Im wondering what are the shows that are worth going to and which shops are cool to visit. I caught the woodward cruise and I know of the "sins of steel" and autorama but I was wondering if there was anything left this year? Any tips are greatly appreciated

2. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Welcome! First you should join the GMB social group. There is a thread about shows here. Not much left now this year. Like you mentioned Autorama, then the Kalamazoo swap meet in Feburary (you'll like the weather then :) ) then Billetproof next spring.

3. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. from Des Moines, Iowa!

4. Hello and welcome to the state! I work in Warren - well, sort of. I'm currently/temporarily out at Selfridge but work is based at Warren.

Last I heard there's a show going on out in Webberville (about 50 mi west on I-696/I96) on Oct 23d. I plan to be there, weather permitting.

Lots of neat goings-on around the area. Also check out Cruis'News for other shows & events in the area.

Ron

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Welcome to Michigan, Hope you got some cold weather gear.
    Billet proof
    Autorama
    Monroe Community College
    and a ton of smaller venues
    oh yeah Downriver Cruise
    and Woodward Cruise

just to name a few
    Winter blows for shows here..its when we all hunker down and Build em..or fix em.
    Like said before..join the GMB group, it will keep you up to date.

6. Welcome to Michigan.

It's a great place it you can stand the winters, and the unemployment, and the....

Well, it's still a great place!

Not much going on now until spring. In Michigan, there is a time for buildin' and a time for drivin'.

I've found if you try to get a lot accomplished in the off season, it makes winter go by quicker. My plans are to finish up the '54, swap a 59ab into the '34 and get a drivetrain in the Topo drag car.

7. If you're looking for something to do this Sunday, come check out the old Packard Proving Grounds for their Fall Open House. Free car show & tours of some of the old buildings. It's on Van Dyke Ave between 22 & 23 Mile rd. in Shelby Township. I'll be there in my '54.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  8. R1FIGHTER

R1FIGHTER

welcome and I suggest you go see matt at the packard proving grounds. It's a history lesson and a car show. :)

9. troylee

troylee

Greenfield Villiage. Welcome to the enchanted mitten.

10. hemifarris

hemifarris

You're a little late with your post. He's been a H.A.M.B. member since 2008. It's 2010 here in Michigan.......:)

11. You will want to be in Davisburg the first Saturday in June for Sins of Steel. Lots of cruise nights everyday of the week in the Summer depending on where you live. You are technically a "east sider" lots of stuff in Mt. Clemens, and on Gratiot. Some good swapmeets come spring time. There is a good swap this weekend in Adrian, Mi ( about a good 1.5 hours from Warren ) Welcome to Detroitfrom a "Westsider"

Did you bring any good tin with ya???

12. 31hotrodsedan man

31hotrodsedan man

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate the help. Yeah well see how well I survive the winter, Im used to the gray skies (not the snow though) cause Im from Nor-cal, but Ive been livin in the land of perpetual summer for the last 5 yrs so Im sure Ill have some adjusting to do. I think this winter Ill spend hunting and gathering (parts that is) since my project is sill out west. But soon enough ill be tearing it up with you guys:D

13. deadbeatdetroit

deadbeatdetroit

Welcome to Warren! I'm at 10 Mile & Groesbeck. Not much going on in the near future but shoot me a message if you need help with anything.
    Steve

14. The Adrian swap meet also includes a place to display your car(no charge unless you want to sell it)and they usually have a pretty good turnout.Good stuff to be had as well.The early birds get there at sunup and by 3pm everyone is usually packing up to leave.It is Sunday only so if you decide to come look me up;I'll have the Safari there.

15. chevyshack

chevyshack

Well you cost of living just went way down. How do you like seeing all them rusty cars? Get a tetnis shot. I dont miss the rust belt but i do miss the car shows back home.

16. troylee

troylee

I think Ionia swap is saturday and I think big chiefs gas pump n stuff auction is also

17. frankthetank62

frankthetank62

welcome to the winter wonderland!

18. millersgarage

millersgarage

Ah Michigan

I hope you have a heated shop. Winter is the time you work on the toys, so you can play all summer long.
    Come around May, there is a show somewhere every weekend.

19. Cali to Michigan it's usually the other way around! but welcome! I was trying to get a little hot rod & kustom BBQ going for the end of October but didn't have a lot of interest so theres probably not many if any events left for this year in our crappy Michigan weather..but next year check out Sins of Steel, Billetproof, Showboat City Rumble, Autorama, Relix Riot..etc

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

should go get your stuff and project..the next 5 months will get borring without them

21. The Ionia race parts swap is Sunday 10/17. Starts at 7AM.

Charlie

22. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Welcome to Michigan!

23. millersgarage

millersgarage

then stop by IHRS while you are in town

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get a snowmobile. Not many places in the US, well none, have as many as michigan. Ontario beats us in numbers from time to time. Fills the need for speed when the snow's flyin. Where else can you go 10sec in a 1/4 mile when the snow's a foot deep? 1st Friday of every month is the "Heads Up" race at Milan. Girls get in free and you can't beat the entertainment for the price. Keep an eye in the books and such as advised for the indoor swap meets. If nothing else it's like cruisin Woodward or Telegraph on foot.

Shops? Tough call. You can stop in our little shit hole here on Grand River. We have Packards and shit here but sometimes there's some cool stuff. Currently a new "Speed 33" (O/T) and a bitchin 53 Caddy conv. and Jag 120.

25. Harms Way

Harms Way

As our "Yooper" friends would say,...

"Welcome to da' Mitten Eh ?",... And if you meet any Yoopers, they might call you a "Troll", Datz kuz we live under da' bridge, Eh ? :D

See ya' at the Autorama !

26. 4tford

4tford

Welcome to Michigan.

27. Greetings From FL... But I grew up between 13 and Hayes, East of Grosbeck.