Register now to get rid of these ads!

390 in a 54 mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Uncle Pat, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat
    from Florida

Anyone put an FE and a C-6 in a 54 Merc? How did it go? Does anyone make mounts? I know Jamco has a mount kit for a SB ford. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You can use the Y block mounts to put the FE in a 54 to 56,I think all you do is swap them side to side.

3. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat
    from Florida

Thanks! I was wondering if the Y block mounts would work. Appreciate the advice.

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I thought the Y-block mounts would work too, just wasn't sure enough to post it until someone else confirmed it. You are also going to have to mod your trans crossmember as the C6 is fairly long. Also, the C6 may touch the trans tunnel in a spot or two, should be nothing that can't be fixed with a few taps from a big mallet. Header clearance may also be tricky, not impossible, just something to watch out for.

5. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

You might think about front springs. I bought a '54 Ford that another had put a 352 in [no idea what he took out], had 3 or 4 wedgees in each front spring and coil bound on smallest bumps. Replaced the springs with a 'yard pair out of a '58 V-8 wagon, no more problems and handled much better.

As I recall starter, pan, and exhaust didn't have much for extra clearance, no problems until I went to work in those areas then the fun started. Had a '53 Lincoln Hydromatic behind it, one lug on the back of the block was brazed on so it probably wasn't an exact bolt together.

Good combination and went well until that tree stepped out in front of me one night......

Ed

6. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

there is a company that makes shorty headers for the FE , forget name but can be found on eba or google search it.
    ROck auto has the Y block motor mounts cheapest and faster than waiting for advanced to order them in .

7. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat
    from Florida

Thanks everybody - Sorry I havent replied, but I've been away from a computer for a few days.I'd put a Y-block in if I had one, but .... I do have a fresh rebuilt 390 and c-6 out of a 67 Mercury Monterey convertible.( 67 for sale cheap (real cheap), but cant put it in classifieds cause it's post 64.) Even got new FE mounts, I guess they won't work though.

8. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat
    from Florida

I was going to use Jamco's lowering springs for front. I guess I'll see if they have HD springs.

9. bobblehead

bobblehead

10. Uncle Pat

Uncle Pat
    from Florida

Sweet Alex. You know you google and google and there is still unknown cool stuff out there! Thanks

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ