Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first paint job...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JoeNational, Oct 14, 2010.

1. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

Well, here she is all finished. I did everything in under 3 weeks and for under $400. First time I ever took on something like this and I'm stoked on how good it came out for my first body work and paint job.

Its HRF Copper Pearl and damn is it nice especially when the light hits it. I used black caliper paint on the windshield frame, firewall and Rims. Which has a really good finish to it but not to glossy so it matches the 30% gloss finish of the paint.

I will take a better pic in the daylight but just finished it up last night at 2am.

I also lost my damn hubcab driving home from my buddes paint booth where I sprayed the car... Any tricks to those things staying on or probably was just a bad hubcab?

Be gentle lol... :)

[​IMG]

2. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Nice looking rod and great color! Where in NC are you? Hope to see your rod in person at a show or cruise someday!

3. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

I'm right outside fo Raleigh in Clayton, NC. I wanted to bring it to the Henderson show this weekend but still waiting on my theft inspection paperwork to be finalized so dont think it will be there... but I plan to drive the hell out of this thing so you will see it for sure. :)

Where in NC are you?

Thanks for the kind words.

4. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

That looks good, no disrespect but do you plan on putting bias-plys or are you gonna stick with the radials? Those radials up-front are killing that car..

5. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

Oh I have every intention of changing the tires... There are in bad shape so they need to be changed but thats what came on the car. I have only had the car in my posession for less then 3 weeks...

I have been looking at the cooker site but dont know what route to go yet.

6. 76cam

76cam

Good Job looks awsome!!!

7. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Cool, I'm in Efland, so not far from Raleigh and get down there to the cruise at the grille occasionally. I was wanting to go to the Henderson show but my Road Runner isn't up to a trip that far just yet. There's a Hopsice show going on in Burlington on Saturday the 23rd if you'd be interested. It's a charity show so it's not big on the trophies and chit... it's at the Outlet Village.

8. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

Actually I hate trophies and being judged... I go to look and to enjoy the cars for what they are... I cant deal with the nit picking of judges... I want to bring it so people can enjoy my ride and vice versa ya know what I mean... Thats why cruise in's are my deal.

9. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

I'm with you there! Nothing I own would win a trophy, but I don't care cuz I enjoy the heck out of DRIVING them! Shows for me are just a way to meet people and to get to shoot the shit with them...

The Hospice show is cool cuz it brings out every possible kind of car--rods, gennies, restorations, survivors, muscle cars, street machines, you name it. It's all done simply with the good intention to raise bucks for Hospice so it's a low pressure deal...

Oh and same evening, the 23rd, there's a cruise night in the Northern Tool parking lot in Burlington, right off the interstate.

10. Did you set up your own make shift booth, or did you rent one? What kind of details can you give on that $400 budget?

I'm planning on painting mine soon and love seeing posts like these from folks doing it themselves for the first time.

11. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

I have a friend that built a booth in this big workshop at his uncle's house. Room is the size of a one car garage with sheetrock, drain, recessed wall lighting, etc... I wet the floor and had a fan on the entire time. Used his gun. Prep and cleaning is key.

Paint cost me $125 (including shipment) from TCP Global
    Sand paper, primer, sanding blocks, caliper paint, respirator, tacky sheets all cost around another $150. I got all of this stuff from my local Autozone.
    Misc: Paper, plastic and tape around $50

Hope this helps... Any other questions just ask away... I was so nervous up to the point of actually shooting the paint... My biggest problem is that I was over thinking the process...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  12. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky
    from So.Cal

^^ yea make with the details
    I'm taking mine to bare metal right now and planning on getting it done asap.

what primer did you use?
    No body work needed?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  13. Now there's a guy with his head screwed on straight!

BTW, nice job on the paint and the color choice. Now go enjoy the ride.

14. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

I used Rustolem Filler primer
    Body work was needed so I had to hit a few spots with with body filler and sanded to to be level. Believe me it is not perfect but I didn't want spend 2 years on the car and never enjoy it. It is done to be a driver :)

A lot of sanding was done to make everything level and to allow the primer to adhere. I sanded with 80, 180, 400, 600, and 2000 girt paper. The lower grits were for the body filler and to make level with the metal and the 2000 was for the primer. I also wet sanded the primer. Some say no same say yes but I wanted as much protection as possible.

Older'n dirt: Thanks so much!!

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dam dude you rule..teach me

or ..wana do another for 600$?
    i'll even supply the refreshments

16. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

LOL nah... far from it... I'm just another broke fool with an expensive hobby... Tried to do it for as cheap as I could...

The real deal was the paint... TCP Global is awesome... Kustom Shop paint... check it out... Local places wanted like $80 and more for a quart.
    TCP had the whole kit (hardner, reducer and paint) for $60 a quart kit. I got two quart kits...since the car is smaller and had more then enough...They have gallon kits too...

17. my47soto

my47soto

I appreciate this thread, you have given me the courage to go and shoot my own paint once Im finished with the body on my DeSoto. Love the paint thats a bitchin color..............:cool:

18. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

Thanks, yeah believe me I did so much searching before I did this and when I was working on it... It is not as difficult as you may think... After my first coat I started to enjoy it.

Must remember prep is where all the hard work is.. Sanding, cleaning and then cleaning again...

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

How much did you need? a gallon?

will they mix any color or pick from thiers?

I know its hard to say from that picture but looks good to me.

Im same as you..caviar dreams and coal miners pay

20. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

I needed two quarts which gives you about 3 quarts of sprayable paint (A lil less actually)

For a larger car I would say get the gallon kit.

I think you can only pick from theirs but they have a lot of colors to choose from I of course went with the mettalic so I can have a flat look but pop when the light hits it.

21. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Hey Joe

Nice job ,

I'm also thinking about trying my hand at painting my car ,

Looks like you nailed it pretty nicely....

It looks like it would be fine for me I'm not the 10 grand paint job type anyway..

F.Y.I. Benson,Garner,Raleigh area......

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Thanks for sharing. Looks great. You'll never regret DIY.

23. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

Here is one of her yesterday afternoon... first time in the sun...:D
    [​IMG]

24. rustyhood

rustyhood

Nice color choice....really suits it. Good job!

25. Holy shit! You make coal miner wages? Gold Chainer! :D TCP has been on my radar for about 1/2 year now. When I spray my truck, I plan to get everything from them. Tape, sandpaper, masking paper.... they have great prices on everything.
    Hey! Joe Natl'!! Car looks great! I'd certainly be proud!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  26. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

There are a few things I will change as time goes on:

Tires (think I want to go white wall on all four) any ides or places to look would be great
    Some motor work
    exhaust
    etc...

Thanks again,

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

looks good, hope to see it next weekend.

and valve covers man,,, you need some

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yeah..problem is none of the bennies, and im trapped:eek:

and i think my contract expierd back in the 30's:mad:..fuckers forgot about me..and its getting cold and dark in here again:(

29. DAMN THIS PLACE! Coffee out the nose AGAIN!

30. badgeree

badgeree

Great job on a tight budget. Great colour choice, looks real nice. The big bonus is...now you can say you did it yourself.