Register now to get rid of these ads!

What kind of wheels are on Ed Roth's Road Agent?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Oct 13, 2010.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I am trying to figure out what these wheels are the Brand and name of them. Thanks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

One more thing do they make redline tires for these?

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

recommend you find a book on Barris Customs, this may be one of his creations. A better photo would have helped. As to redline tires....that's up to the options for whatever size rim you use.

dj

4. Zombo

Zombo
    1. oHIo

Barris? thats ed roth's road agent.

5. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

...and Ed hand-built the front wheels...

6. millersgarage

millersgarage

boy, you could almost run a 90's Caprice save a spare backwards and get the same look.
    They are aluminum, but painted black, a little stripper and some elbow grease, and you'd be close.

I do not have a better photos than this on hand, but I run one as a spare in my Tudor. I could check sizes later after I get home from work, if you need them.

mounts%20010.jpg

7. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks everyone. I am looking for something similar to these. The steel wheels that are chrome and had little kidney bean shape slots in them.I just do not know what they call them.

8. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I found this on the web They appear to match the rear wheels but the rears look aluminum though?

[​IMG]

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

My bad...it's obviously an Ed Roth creation and I even knew the name of the car when I typed my suggestion....my excuse (lame indeed) is that I had not yet consumed mass quantities of my highly caffeinated beverage. Goes to prove that a high IQ is not always indicative of a high functioning individual.

dj

10. rainh8r

rainh8r

They look like old Astro wheels to me. Flat steel, chrome, with slots.

11. PM Moriarity for details.

12. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

The front wheels were custom made spindle mounts with fake lug nuts. Not at all sure about the source of the components that were used to make them, but I seem to remember reading something about using truck centers as a start.... Probably way off on that.

13. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

You guys rule. I am wondering if you would be able to get a redline tire for a wheel like that? a 15 x 4 Redline would work if they make one.....or two :) why am at it does anyone know if they make Redline Cheater Slicks.

14. mj40's

mj40's

And the fronts look to be mounted backwards.

15. squirrel

squirrel

Used to be that chrome plated steel slot wheels were the poor man's "mags". You could probably find some used ones and put narrow rims on the centers. Wouldn't be exact, but they would be close. And heavy.

16. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

lol

17. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

So would these have been used on the mid-late 60's show cars a lot or would and would it be right to have these in the front and chrome steelies on the rear? Or would they be matched all around? Narrow in the front and wide in the rear.

18. squirrel

squirrel

They were mostly used in the 70s on low buck cars owned by poor kids trying to make their car look fast. Probably used in pairs...most cars in the 60s had different front and rear wheels, mostly only the high buck cars had matched wheels.

19. alchemy

alchemy

Hey Moriarity...............

20. The old Astro slots; back in the 80s when I was first driving, you couldn't give them away; now they are pretty rare. Quite valuable to the dodge "Little Red Express" restorers. I have a couple rusty mis-matched chrome slots up in the attic. Someone needs to repop these. Bearmetal Customs, are you listening???

21. mj40's

mj40's

I guess I know what class I was in but I had more fun. 1966 photo Reno

Attached Files:

22. millersgarage

millersgarage

oops, I didn't notice the holes in the first shot, they looked smooth.

23. Diamondback tires can make white walls or redlines check out thier website.

24. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

For real!, this is great to know.

25. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks all of I really appreciate it. One more question if it were to be a mid-late 60's show rod would they have mis-match wheels or would they have matched them? Lets say bubble top type of cars.

26. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks McKee, I will be looking for some of these.

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yes the wheels are astro steel slots. the fronts had the centers cut out and welded into motorcycle 16 inch rims and were spindle mount. the 4 lug nuts on the front did nothing there were studs welded onto the back side of the wheel. the rears were custom made 4 lug corvair pattern 15 by 7 and ed roth was stamped on the back side of them

28. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

mooneyes sells redline port-o-walls

29. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I was just talking to a friend about doing just this, thanks Moriarity. So I wonder do they make a Redline bike tire?:confused: