Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who had the coolest car in school?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maxwedge66, Jul 31, 2008.

1. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

Pioneer High in San Jose, Calif. ....class of 77. I had a '69 Camaro, SS396...hugger orange with a black vinyl top and an endura bumper. By the time I was a senior, had built the engine to 13:1, a massaged TH400, and Gromm Racing Heads. I did all this to shut-up the asshole who lived across the street from me with a 70 1/2 Z28 who was constantly berating Big Blocks. My whole intention was to blow him away in a street race. By the time I was done, he didn't want any part of racing me and I had gone so far overboard, my Camaro was barely streetable.
    I do remember breaking my date to the Senior Prom because I had to re-paint my headers....

Whatta macaroon I was.....

2. MikesHellWhole

MikesHellWhole

Ya I had a cool ride back in high school.It sat 50 and was about 40 feet long and painted white with graphics.It was made by BlueBird and was called CTA(chicago transit authority).LOL

3. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

i wont say mines the coolest car but it sure is the wildest i drive a 1971 dodge demon with a super stock rake [stance] and a 340 bored to 360 with a edelbrock cross ram puttin out almost 450hp at the cragars. still have one more year of high school left too

4. TheWrenchbender

TheWrenchbender
    from Belton SC

Well it wasn't me either in 1973 I had a 1966 Impala 283 3 on the tree although it looked great it wasn't the coolest. A guy by the name of Bob Wheeler had a 69 or 70 Chevelle that was Chevy orange big block built to the gills and 4 speed with 411 gears. Bob is no longer with us as he passed a few years ago, but Bob had the coolest car at BHP High School!

5. 62rebel

62rebel

i didn't have my own car until i went to college; but by far the coolest car in the Amherst Co High lot in 79-80 belonged to Les Blondino; it was his pride and joy; he built it; candy apple red, sweet car... that he took into the trees one night. it made the yearbook... 1957 Bel Air hardtop. i used to cadge rides to avoid the yeller cattle trucks, one guy had a '66 Bonneville, scary fast for a big ass car... another bud had a 63 Dart ragtop... i remember some "muscle cars" but they were usually owned by guys who'd already graduated and were at the school checking up on their girlfriends. our auto shop teachers were Ray Oliver and Mr Kendricks... Ray put up with me cutting study hall and sitting in his office reading shop manuals... waiting for Drafting class, across the hall. my algebra teacher Bob Boe had a Jag XKE and an Alfa Romeo he worked on over weekends... he let me putter around with them... i was allowed access to Dad's 59 F100 pickup, but that clutch was a motherf.....

6. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I thought mine was the coolest --> 1969 Firebird w/350 HO (325HP). The only other cool cars were in my grade were: 1971 Firebird Formula 455, 1968 Firebird 400, 1965 El Camino, 1971 Bronco. I raced the kid in 455 and BEAT him. He was probably a crappy driver.
    A kid a grade older than me had a 1965 Bug with a big VW engine that was pretty fast and serious. This was the first car I saw with polished Center Line wheels and "limo" tint. This was in 1979.

7. FOOFZ

FOOFZ
    from houston

i rode the bus

8. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

I had an O/T Camaro that was pretty decent, silver metallic paint, and red interior. It was super clean, was owned by my grandpa's gf since it was new. I found out on grad night that everyone thought it was a primered project!! man did that bug me lol.

9. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

I had a 67 bug red oxide primer 13 in wheels in front 14's in back(hand made by my grandpa) with a built motor my dad was a vw mechanic and hot rodder from wayback so in 85 it was quite the hot rod in our town.It wasn't the coolest or fastest in high school ,but I scared the crap out of most every v8 for at least city block.

10. dr john

dr john
    BANNED
    from CSA

2 70 roadrunner.jpg

not THE coolest, but i liked it. 70 Roadrunner, 383 /727 /3.23 open. Bought from the original owners - a retired couple who wanted a 318 Satellite, but saw this and just loved the colour. He didnt understand why the car ''never would idle right'' ...

Attached Files:

11. metal man

metal man

I did,but me and a couple of teachers were the only ones that knew it! Class of '89

Attached Files:

12. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I rode the bus. The Chevy dealers so9n had the coolest car a 77 Vet.

13. dr john

dr john
    BANNED
    from CSA

I got so excited at being able to figure out how to post a picture, I forgot to add my 2 cents of an answer to maxwedge66's original question...
    Cant say anything about ''dazed and confused'' ; started it twice and never finished-too stupid- but by the time I was in HS, there were plenty of individuals that fit that mold! As for cars... the jocks [almost] never had cool cars - they were too busy being jocks and combing their hair. Although I never personally parked in it, the parking lot at my high school consisted of lots of 10 yr old pickups, same vintage GM full and midsize cars, an inordinately high number of VWs and quite a few early Mustangs. [I graduated in 78] Other than a couple of Datsuns, the VWs were about the only foreign cars.
    As far as the coolest - thats certainly open to discussion, but I think it belonged to a guy named Brad who was a year ahead of me. He had an orange 440 sixbbl 70 Cuda. I saw that thing lift one wheel on MAIN STREET once ; it was way cool. There were several 55-6-7 Chevies ;including Larry Crows 56 , which he owns to this day to the best of my knowledge. Several early Camaros, including a real 68 Z28 owned by one of the dufus rich kids - he couldnt shift so he had an automatic put in...that poor car didnt live long. One guy had a pretty nice Torino and another a real high 12 second 396 Nova - that was pretty quick then for a sure enough driver car.
    As far as my small circle of friends [my friends have always been older] , my best bud's first car was a 40 Ford coupe with a 59AB flattie, followed by a series of mildly customised vans. Another friend had an orange 71 340 Duster, another a 65 SS Impala.
    We tried to cruise a bit like in American Graffiti, but it was mostly gone by then. Got a bit of street racing done - fun, no money - and went to the drags most weekends and the road races when possible.
    Theres the view from a fairly typical suburban high school in the middle of the US in the late 70s.
    Cheers

14. 4t7flat

4t7flat

There were three really cool cars in our school lot. My favorite was Joe Durso's 31 A two door sedan with a Late Pontiac engine(59-61?). Next was dennis Daleys candy red 55 chevy,with a vette eng. Some thought that Stanfords super stock Dodge was the coolest. His dad owned Stanford Dodge,so he had a brand new super stocker,62 or 63(all lettered up for the strip) to drive to school. Stanfords house was right behind the school,but he still drove the car over to the school lot,and parked just 200 ft from his own drive way.

15. Tat-2

Tat-2
    from SoCal

Not sure it was the coolest car in High School..Lots of others looked cooler.. But I had a 70 Torino with that funky Gold/Yellow paint and the laser stripe thing on the sides from the front fender back.. BUT it had a 427 side oiler, C6 tranny and a 9 inch rear.. Again not the coolest looking but very few could keep up with it....

16. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Not me, but at Wyoming High School, Wyoming, Ohio, spring of 1962, "Bing" Guckenberger's dad presented him with a new, black, '62 Chev convertible, 409, 2-4's, 4 speed. He was a senior, basketball star, and the coolest guy I knew. I was 15, a sophomore, and sang in a mixed octet with him. We'd practice in the school music room after school, and he'd drive me home (only 2 blocks) in that baddass droptop. Our music teacher, Mr. Roman, lived around the corner, and had a '60 Chev 2-dr hdtp, 283 slush. He too went nuts over Bing's new car.

17. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I had these for my high school rides. Built a 71 Z/28 clone my junior year,while I waited to get my drivers license for my senior year,also had a 73 sporty. I alternated between the two, depending on the weather and which one had enough gas that day. Had the camaro til '88 and the sporty til '91, And I wish I still had them today......Rich

18. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

I goofed, Heres the pictures....Rich

Attached Files:

19. 67goingthing

67goingthing

1965 R code Galaxie. 427 4 speed equipped with original Pyrex head light covers.

[​IMG]

20. My car was junk. But, my High School had the rockingest student parking lot (N.Hlywd High 69-72). Max wedge's, 409's, Straight axle Nomads/Sedan Deliveries, Tunnel rammed Chevelles, Boss 429/Mach I's, and about every Muscle Car, straight from one of the big 3 Dyno Tuners imaginable. Even a 55 Chevy painted that horny green from a 70 Roadrunner with a tri-power 389/4-speed

21. 4406

from Oklahoma

That be a 383 in a Roadrunner. Hey Groucho, was Mr. Mukai the auto shop teacher back then ?

22. bigs merc

bigs merc

Currently I have the coolest car at Elsinore High School and the campus and staff know it. only wish i had two parking spots though lol

Attached Files:

23. David Allen

David Allen

I did, eventually,. A guy named Rico had a '55 Chevy. Front bumperless, powder blue. Nicest car on the lot. Then I got handed a kelly green '56, minus the engine, but it had light and dark green tuck and roll, all the window frames were chromed, the heaterbox, column and glovebox door were too. It had chrome reverse wheels with baby moons. It was 1970, my dad had a '66 chevy pickup with a rebuilt 283 in it, until the '56 came home. I had that engine out and in the '56 in about an hour, by myself. Turns out I put the flexplate on backwards, and the powerglide only had reverse. It also had Corvette clutchpacks(14 discs). When you put it in gear, it was like the car coming to attention. When it shifted (35mph) it felt like the rear end hit you in the butt.I drove it about 1 1/2 years then dad and I built a chopped, Buick V6 powered VW. Both are cars I wish I still had.

24. When I was a senior in high school I had a 1970 Chevy pickup that had a blown(6-71) 355 in it. Looked killer running around with no hood on.

25. It was Mr. John Wilson. AMAZING teacher. A few years after graduating, I went back to thank him for being a great teacher

26. ironpile

ironpile

ME,I had a 34 5 window in 1960 when everyone else was driving mom and dads car or 50`s Fords and Chevys,not that they are not cool in their own right,but mine was way cooler. Whoops ,just threw my sholder out patting myself on the back,thats going to hurt.

27. I had the coolest car in school. Even if I didn't no one would have argued with me about it.

28. onehot72ss

onehot72ss
    from oregon

high school for me 83-86, aunt bought 72 nova new, bought it from her late 82, still have it after all those battles....never to do that again....yea right!....coming around on porject plate again soon!

29. 2x4

2x4

I rode a skateboard.

But 6 months after HS, I had saved enough to buy a 911 and put 125k miles on it.

I loved that car but have eventually came to my senses.

Thanks for your forgiveness and understanding.

30. Sure as shit wasn't me because our parking lot was full of cool cars. I drove a 56 Olds convertible when everybody else's car leaned toward high performance...My 50 ford 2 door was almost built with it's 53 Merc flathead.This was 64-66. Man...who had the coolest car?
    I guess it was the kid who's dad owned the local men's clothing store. He drove a real live 57 chevy tudor sedan with a factory fuel injected [probably from a 'vette] 283/ 4 speed. It had impecable bodywork and was painted a dark maroon metallic with Cragar SS wheels...first car with cragars in our town.
    But we had literally dozens of really cool cars in the lot...Gilbert's gold metallic 27 chevy sedan with a 283/3 speed....Mike's 62 chevy 409/409- 4 speed, Butch's triple black 62 Gran Prix with tri power 389/4 speed and 8 lugs, Gilbert's other car..a bright yellow, dropped 53 Stude coupe with stude V/8 and deeep chrome wheels and Ollie's 57 chevy bel air hardtop with 283, 4 speed and copper/creme paint...was the highest optioned 57 chevy I ever saw with power windows, seats etc etc...our lot was full of 55-57 chevys, fords, Pontiacs, Olds' and a sprinkling of mid 50s plymouths..wish I'd taken a photo.
    Almost forgot the Meyers Bros....Gary had a 40 ford coupe with a succession of fltatheads and finally a 327 and his brother who drove a pale yellow 36 ford pickup with a flatmotor...and my buddy, [Meyers' cousin] Jim who cruised his merc powered spotless black 50 ford tudor.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010