Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inverted snobbery?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kripfink, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Let's if I make any sense here. Below are included for your perusal photographs of two customs. There is a major difference between the two cars seems to bring out kind of "inverted snobbery" in some HAMBers. Can you guess it?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first as far as I know is Barris brothers pro-built, probably even back in the day big bucks.
    The second as far as I know is a home build. Do I give a damn about the difference? No, I love them both.
    I'm quadriplegic and never once turned a wrench on my beloved "the Kripple Kart" but I did have the money to turn the dream in my head into a reality with the help of professionals who I'm fortunate enough to now be able to call friends. I love this site, and it has more or less taught me all I know about one of the things I love best in life, the traditional American Kustom Kar. But there are plenty of people out there like myself who cannot turn their dreams into reality without cold hard cash and the services of a professional. If that makes me less of a hamber please let me know on this thread, and I'm out of here. However if there is no shame in having work done by those more talented than yourself, please feel free to stand up and be counted.
    It would be a testament to this site and those who frequent it if this discussion could be kept polite and civilised.
    If not, feel free to shut the fucker down:D
    Paul

2. None of "US" would be able to turn wrenches on "our" cars, If "you" aren't paying for work on "your" car.

That's the way I see it.

I like building cars for people. It let's me build stuff I would never build myself.

3. There's nothing wrong with having a car professionally built. I'd bet 90% of the stuff you saw in the little pages in the old days was professionally built...There's a reason those cars endure today and are so often copied...they were done RIGHT!

Not everyone has the skills or abilities to do all, or even some, of their own work...There's no shame in that.

IMHO.

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Seriously don't sweat it. The people that say "If you didn't build it then shut up" are posers. The guys that really do build them are appreciative of the guys that have them built, ya know?

5. I bought this car in 2008. the previous owner had handled all of the mechanical and electrical.
    [​IMG]

I paid Santy's Upholstery to do the interior.
    I Paid Ian Berky to do the Kustom work
    I Paid Vintage Metal (chopped50ford) to do the body work
    I paid Restoration Pieces to do the chrome and stainless
    I painted and assembled the vehicle (with ALOT of help from friends and family)

I take a great deal of pride in my car.

[​IMG]

6. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

The first car is a recreation of a famous Barris Kustom- the original exists in its first incarnation- that car represents the second go round at Barris. Just some useless trivia.

7. Who cares who built what part of what car, so long as the OWNER gets to enjoy the end product.

I don't touch transmissions, carbs, or bodywork. That type of stuff, I have absolutely no problem farming out to someone who knows what they're doing. I freely admit it. Does that make me less of an enthusiast, or less of an owner? Hell, no, it doesn't! I'm with you 100?, Kripfink!

8. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I like the home-built one better, but, that's just stylistically...

As far as buying vs. building....almost NO ONE, truly builds an entire car themselves, anyway.

Getting help when and where you need it, has no shame. If I had the scratch to build and finish what I am trying to complete at present, AND buy a finished, gorgeous '32 5 window, would I buy it and smile like a pig in shit while driving it? Hell yeah....

It can also be argued that, additionally, in a case where ones actual employment nets one more money per specified amount of time than it saves by losing that time at work to building, it is actually a losing proposition, and money waster... buying/equipping a shop, and finding the time to build with a busy work schedule, or family commitments, or illness, or whatever, is not practical for everyone, why should that prohibit them from enjoying cars?

Just never promote yourself as a builder, if you are not, and enjoy plenty of respect in my book.

I think everyone, however, should at least have some working knowledge of a cars function/limitations, and requirements, before endeavoring to drive it, however...ANY car, old or not.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Paul, You aint going nowhere..i wont let ya!

some day I may need a car built, does that make me less of a car nut..nope..

its in the blood...its in yours, dont sweat it

10. It's nice to hear guys say that. I'm probably a little more mechaniclly inclined than the average guy, but I still know when to stop and let the professionals do the job for me....for two reason:peace of mind that it'd sone correct and my skill level. It just sucks when someone will run a guy down just because he paid someone else to do the job. Think of where the automotive aftermarket would be if the only guys that bought stuff were highly skilled master craftsmen.

11. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

I'm disabled but able to do most things, although it's with help and slow going. I haven't been able to do anything for the last few months because I don't have any help. I only do it myself because I can't afford for someone to do it for me. A 12 pack is cheaper. I realize that not everyone that loves it can do it. I personally would take more pride in a car I did all myself than one I bought, but either way I'd be proud of my really nice car.

Oh, and I tend to have less respect for trailer queens whether the owner built it or bought it. Cars are meant to be driven.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I own the joint... and I've only built one car in my entire life. How about that?

Let's face the facts for what they are worth - wanna? Let's say you got two guys. One of them built a 29 roadster on deuce rails in his one car garage. He drives it everywhere... He knows everything about it and can fix anything. He flat out rules.

The other is tech exec and loves traditional cars. He has a '32 roadster built by Tardel and it's spot on. Dude drives it everywhere and for all intents and purposes, he is a real hot rodder. He has the passion. However, he doesn't have the time or the talent to build his own.

Who's cooler? Undoubtedly, the first guy has a cooler story. He's living the experience more than the second. He'll leave more of a legacy. He's cooler from a certain perspective.

But at the end of the day, it just doesn't really matter all that much. The second guy is contributing to this thing of ours. He's enjoying it. He's giving back by driving his car and by financing a builder.

The argument is null and void in my opinion.

13. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Some people are good at making money, some are good at building things. The two are what makes this great country go round and round.

14. There are a lot of things I can do myself on my projects and then there are things that I need help with or I'd like to buy new. I have no issues with someone paying for work to be done on their vehicle, as long as they don't in turn discredit the work people do on their own vehicles. ( I have a 'friend' that pays for his work to be done, then constantly tells people they are doing things incorrectly)

15. nwaringa

nwaringa

Where does it stop? Do only true builders assemble their own shocks and tool all the parts to create their radiator? We all pay somebody to do something. It just depends on the degree. I hate the "street rods and builder cars suck" attitude people have with cars.

16. I've restored many cars when I was younger,and had more time. Now I do what I can and pay for what I can't.
    I say,if you are enjoying the hobby,building,or just driving you cars,that's great. I admire those who can do both.

17. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

good perspective Ryan ! at least we are not here talking about a 92 honda!!

18. I've built all my previous projects, but for the first time in my life, I have the means, but not the time to have one built. This honestly has been hard for me to adjust to, but having the RIGHT guy building your car is very important, and I'm lucky to have such a talented guy that get's it way more than 90+% of the builders out there. My prior projects would not be characterized as total ground up builds, but that was where I was headed prior to my accepting a job overseas. The car Marshall is building for me is so much more than I could ever do in so many ways, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get as much satisfaction out of it as if I built it myself.

19. Too many things I can't do myself. I don't have enough time to do everything I'd like to learn to do. I do what I can on my own. Have some good friends that help out, but I have to pay for some stuff, too. I don't care, I like my junk and drive it everywhere. I might like your junk too. Or, mine may not be styled to your liking. It's ok. The automobile is the greatest invention, ever. Period. In any color or style.

In the end it's transportation, and it beats walking or riding a horse.

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

I build my own cars.

Thats how I keep myself busy and poor...:D

What I do not agree with is that people who have their cars build would be lacking in talent.

It still takes a good eye for proportions and carefull selection of the right parts to build the right car.

That, to me, is at least as critical to the end result as the build itself...

21. I'm sure glad people pay me to build engines, it gives me money to pay the people that do things I can't. That's how the world works. I've had plenty of help with my projects.

22. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Actually I love that Ford , the colors on the Barris car just don't appeal to me. Just my opinion.

23. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Ray Wylie Hubbard has a song lyric that can apply here!

There are two kinds of people in the world,
    the day people and the night people.
    The job of the day people is to make money,
    the job of the night people is to take that money!

So at midnight of any given 24 hour period both set of folks should be happy! Both groups were paid for their services and everyone goes home lookin forward to the next day!
    Some go home in the car/truck/motorcycle they built and others in the one they bought but they are all digging that same rush!

24. Nothing wrong with paying someone. Having worked in a shop and have freinds in shops it keeps them fed, and at the end of the day that is a good thing!

25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Jesus, what a beautiful machine
    congratulations
    Paul

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Paul...it doesn't matter.....you are a rodder, it's in your heart and nobody can take it away or change it.
    So, don't even waste your time with the debate...there is none.
    HEY! Its about having fun...bottom line.......FUN!
    I'm done rolling around in the dirt at midnight putting in transmissions.
    Been there, done that. Bullshit. Now it's about the road and the ride.
    I, like you, have paid the dues....it's time to enjoy the fruits of the years of hard work while avoiding the fruits in Hollywood.... so there! :)

27. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

I agree with Ryan

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

If someone doesn't like that I've paid to have something done, that's their issue (and a pretty juvenile one, too).

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I have my strengths......and others have theirs..

30. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i don't give a rat's ass if you bought it, built it, or borrowed it, as long as you're out there having fun with it, that's all that counts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.