Register now to get rid of these ads!

air ride headaches

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clutchers, Oct 11, 2010.

1. clutchers

clutchers
    from Fresno, CA

My air ride system is driving me crazy. It will leak down overnight at either one corner,one side,front, rear, or all of the above. Have checked for leaks at all the usual places. Any ideas?

2. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

dirty valves? something may be in the valve not allowing it to close all of the way. Have you sprayed soapy water around all of your connections?

3. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

park it fully dumped...

4. skidsteer

skidsteer

God is trying to tell you something .........................

5. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

Are they PTC fittings, I had PTC fittings on mine and they leaked so I switched them out with compression fittings and no more leaks.

6. outcast13

outcast13

Valves or connections. Does it loose tank pressure as well ??

7. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I always wondered why people didn't just hardline everything. seems a bit more reliable than flexible lines and copper looks cool. and the refrigeration grade copper tubing isn't really that expensive for how well it seals.

8. clutchers

clutchers
    from Fresno, CA

I've tried the soapy water with no results. what can't understand is why it leaks down at different corners. I'm about ready to put manual schrader valves on each bag.

9. clutchers

clutchers
    from Fresno, CA

It has compression fittings.

10. clutchers

clutchers
    from Fresno, CA

It does lose tank pressure.

11. BISHOP

BISHOP

I think its valves too.

12. outcast13

outcast13

I would guess it has some valves leaking or possibly the one-way valve on the compressor lead hose is letting tank pressure back in and bleeding down overnight. Most electric valves can be taken apart and cleaned. I use liquid teflon on all my threads and not teflon tape, seems to seal much better.

13. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

What kind of compressor do you have? If it is a Viair, take the grey filter off of the end and see if there is air coming out of that small hole, while it is running. If there is air coming out then the leader hose is bad. Replace the leader hose or add check valve and you should be good to go.

14. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Several problems may be occuring, but just remember if your tank is leaking air once tank pressure has been lost the valves will no longer hold bag pressure, unless you have checkvalves on the supply line before each fill valve. Spool/Poppet style valves require sufficient pressure to keep an automobile lifted. Additionally, your tank perhaps is leaking at the welds this has happened to me a couple of times usually after 5 or 6 years of use. Especially, if there is no drain cock at the bottom of the tank.

Another key to a leak free setup is to use ALKON D.O.T. fittings, Furon air brake, liquid teflon and a reputable manufactured valve.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  15. clutchers

clutchers
    from Fresno, CA

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll check all the valves and the tank. After thinking it over there is a good possibility condensation has been pumped through the lines and valves.

16. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

you definitely want to keep the system drained of moisture... everyone else has pretty much covered the basses on what it can be. there are only so many places for it to leak from.

my first suspect is always the push connect fittings but since your not running those... i'd check valves next... you got some good advice above so i think you have a pretty good idea what to go after. good luck and let us know what it turns out to be.

17. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Well there is your first problem. Compression fitings are garbage and not allowed in my shop. Not all push in fittings are the same either, you have to have the right ones.

After of over 15 years of doing air ride everyday I can say that fittings make a big change on how well an air system will hold air.

Also I dont care what you do when it gets colder out you will more than likely lose a little PSI.

But regardless check the valves, can leak internaly, also check the bags. They can leak were they are crimped (if you have that type) and around the ports and studs.

Also I've had gauges leak inside, which sometimes can be hard to diagnose.

18. LCC Automotive

LCC Automotive

Does your compressor have a one way check valve on the leader hose?

19. Put in coil springs...problem solved.

20. hooligan909

hooligan909
    from San Diego!

make sure the check valve off the comp isnt leaking, allso i would invest in check valves at each bag, no more presser drop!!!