Register now to get rid of these ads!

History and uses for WD40

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Oct 12, 2010.

1. no55mad

no55mad

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    <TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="MARGIN: auto 6.75pt; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-table-lspace: 9.0pt; mso-table-rspace: 9.0pt; mso-table-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-table-anchor-horizontal: column; mso-table-left: left; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 882.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=1177>Before you read to the end, does anybody know what the main ingredient of WD-40 is? <o:p></o:p>
    Don't lie and don't cheat. WD-40. Who knew; I had a neighbor who bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason). <o:p></o:p>
    I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news. He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do....probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open. Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. <o:p></o:p>
    It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I'm impressed! WD-40 who knew? 'Water Displacement #40'. The product began from a search for a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. <o:p></o:p>
    WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'water displacement' compound. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Convair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts. Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40 that would hurt you. <o:p></o:p>
    When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it on your stove top. It's now shinier than it's ever been. You'll be amazed.

WD-40 Uses:

1. Protects silver from tarnishing.
    2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
    3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
    4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery.
    5. Keeps flies off cows. (I love this one!)
    6. Restores and cleans chalkboards.
    7. Removes lipstick stains.
    8. Loosens stubborn zippers.
    9. Untangles jewelry chains.
    10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
    11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
    12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
    13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.
    14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
    15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
    16. Keeps scissors working smoothly.
    17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
    18. It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.
    19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!
    20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
    21. Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers...
    22. Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
    23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
    24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
    25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.
    26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
    27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
    28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.
    29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
    30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
    31. Removes splattered grease on stove.
    32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
    33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
    34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
    35. Removes all traces of duct tape.
    36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.
    37. Florida’s favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers.'
    38. The favorite use in the state of New York, WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.
    39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some states.
    40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.
    41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.
    42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone!
    43. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.

P.S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. I didn't know that.

3. gerrald meacham

gerrald meacham

4. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I love WD40, and duct tape. 2 of the greatest inventions evah!

I spray WD40 on my hands to get the deep grease off, works great. Works well to eliminate underarm perspiration too. LoL.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010

5. chubbie

chubbie

great product! we all use it!
    IT LUBRICATES....we all know this, so your list is repeatitive. whats the difference in what it lubes?

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Also can be used as a starter fluid...squirt some in the carb and crank it! The company also owns 3-in-1 oil and Lava soap. You'd be a millionaire had you bought WD-40 stock back in the day and held on to it.

7. Heo

Heo

remove bublegum from carseats and carpet

8. magnet

magnet

I dont think i saw the most obvious in that list... Loosens rusty bolts :)

9. Reijer

Reijer

44. It makes you smell nice.

10. mojo66

mojo66

yeah, but not that well!

11. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I fire a 'tater gun with it.

Remember...If it should move and doesn't...use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't.....use Duct tape.

12. Ironpeddler

Ironpeddler

Use it for bee stings, from bees, yellow jackets, wasps, and hornets.

13. I use it as cutting oil on the drill press.

14. Also makes a great salad dressing.

15. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

We were out 4-wheelin once and my friends Bronco was starved of fuel due to his pitch up attitude. He had a can of wd-40 in his truck. I pulled the air cleaner off, had him crank it while I squirted. The truck ran well enough to get him over the ledge he was climbing and it was able to pick up fuel again.....

16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I notice there is a few slot car racers here...

For silicone and urathane tires...it actually "increases" traction.

Mike

17. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Funny thing that I noticed about it - if you get a cut and WD gets in the cut be prepared for a nasty infection that will last about a week. KEEP IT OUT OF OPEN WOUNDS!! If it gets in there wash it out immediately and put some neosporine on it. Don't be a knucklehead and keep working - it will only get worse!

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it makes your hair baby soft. no shit. chicks will dig it.

I worked for a guy who had a Baja 1000 race truck. the frame must have had 500 feet of tubing for rollbars and suspension points.. it was crazy. they didn't paint the frame since it would get blasted off from racing , also it might hide a crack or other damage.

my job was to get under it and clean off the rust with WD-40 and scotchbrite pads. I'd spend 30 hours under this thing after every race. after I washed my hair it would be soft and shiney.

wimmens spend all that money on fancy shampoos and crap when all they need is a little WD-40.

19. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I love this stuff!
    To bad it wasn't scentless

20. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

This old man i work with and is like a second grandpa, hes like 84 i think. Says he put the first label on the first bottle of wd-40. Says the guy couldnt pay him and wanted to trade him stocks in the company. he refused demanding payment. He bitches about it from time to time. But he always shared the history of the stuff. He is a wealth of history.

21. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

It will remove tree sap from your cars paint.

22. cederholm

cederholm

Aftershave for real men! ~Chicks dig it!

23. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

24. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

if it took em 69 times to figure it out would it be ...wd-69 ?

25. williebill

williebill

Kills bugs in the garage..til they changed the formula,a can of WD40 and a lighter took care of all the wasps flying around in there,too

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now all we need is WD-40 dryer sheets. That would be hog heaven!!

27. WHAT'S THAT SMELL?
    I've used it a lot too. Picked up a vintage leather cycle jacket from a local swap meet. It was getting a little stiff so I thought "why not?". So I gave it a good spray of WD40. It did soften the leather somewhat and it had that great smell! Until the "perfume" evaporated and then the jacket had some nasty chemical smell! Finally gave the jacket a good dose of leather softener to kill the odor.
    By the way, what is that great smell of WD40? Anyone know?

28. chaddilac

chaddilac

I think 7, 8, and 9 go together for sure!! :D

29. KaddyKimber

KaddyKimber
    from Denver, CO

Hmm, I have to do some cleaning tonight, and I may have to pull out the can of WD now. I wonder if it would take the tree sap off of my dog, safely.

I may have to tell my mom she can safely use WD 40 in the shower. The other week she decided to adventure into my car chemicals, and grabbed the bottle of PB blaster, and used it in the shower. She said it worked, and I told her she could've melted the bottom of the shower!

30. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use WD40 to clean my car. All the blue is wiped down with WD-40 about 3 times a year......makes it look almost shiney
    [​IMG]