Register now to get rid of these ads!

Magnets thoughts on Pileup #9

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magnet, Oct 11, 2010.

1. magnet

magnet

A huge thanks to everyone that attended the 9th annual hunnert car pileup. It was a new chapter in the shows book, I took a bit of a vacation from organizing and managing and let the rest of the club step up. They did a great great job! That's what a club is about, everyone pitching in and making things happen and my brother Czars can get the job done.. and do it well.
    Kansas and his wife Diane nailed a bunch of the logistics early on and worked out the relationships with the local organizations and officials, Hellfish took on the primary leadership role AND all of the vendor and sponsor organizing and a billion other things.. nice work. Django blew us all away with the artwork and advertising and all the kick ass graphical work. Lucky's wife Amy spent the whole day doing a ton of essential behind the scenes stuff and did an awesome job. Our new member LowPunk and his wife Steph managed t-shirt sales and made it look easy as pie, its a hard hard high pressure job and they whipped it. RayGun and all the other Czars worked the gates with spectators, inspecting and dealing with the quality of the show, which was better than ever. You all did awesome.

And DW (Catherine) excelled at doing just about everything.. the pileup would be a mess if it wasn't for her quick thinking and fast acting. Every successful car club needs a woman with her talents. Her commitment to the Pileup, the Czars and traditional hot rodding is greatly appreciated.

A extra huge thank you goes out to the Bombers, the boys from Peoria really have their shit together, and did an awesome job managing the swap meet. I am sure others will back me up when I say Thank You. I will be down in Peoria next time you have a party. You guys rock.

Big ups go to the Suedes, for haulin ass all the way down from the frosty white north and working the gates with us, you guys are pivotal part of how the show looks. The Blacktop Barons, for being as awesome as you always are. Them for pitching in, Curious Rash for returning after we abused him so much last time. :) The Vagabonds, for their labor and friendship, the Kropdusters... well, for just being Kropdusters :) There are a couple other clubs that helped us out that I didnt mention here.. I am sorry, my brain is still fuzzy, please forgive me.

I want to thank the city of Decatur, for being an awesome town, and the chamber of commerce for doing a TON for us. The City of Clinton kicks ass, Snappers Bar and Grill kicked ass, and speaking of asses, a big thanks to the local girl who grabbed my ass :)

I hung out with a ton of people I haven't seen in ages, it was great to see you all.

Kustombuilder, you need to come to #10 with a car... seriously.. your friends need to keep on you.

A extra HUGE thanks to my own personal Red Shirt Army(tm) :) You guys are the greatest. The best thing about the pileup is the fact that we are able to give money to charities.. the reason we can do that is that we have the best volunteers on the planet. The Red Shirt Army does the heavy lifting that day, and they make the show run smoothly.. thank one.. next time your at a car show, shake their hand, buy em a beer.. they deserve it.

If your not a Red Shirt.. you should ask one about their experience...

All of the people that came and had a good time.. you are the reason the show is what it is. Awesome people make an awesome show.

The cars this year were unbelievable! I think we had way way way more traditional hot rods and customs than ever before, way way way less rat rodz. This is good, keep up the good work fellas, Quality craftsmanship is respected by all, freakshows are appreciated by the clueless.

Everyone that had a problem with the show.. constructive criticism is welcomed, pm any Czar or DW, we will add your comments to the list and discuss them at our planning meeting. Volunteer next time and help make the show better.

If your just bitching to bitch.. well.. unless you back it up... it don't count in my book.

#10 is going to be an awesome show.. I already know of two people building cars just to be unveiled at next years show.

2. magnet

magnet

One of my favorites...

[​IMG]

3. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Thanks to everyone involved with the planning and execution of the show! Me and my son had a great time.Worth the drive!This was only my 3rd pileup,looking forward to more.Later, Rob

4. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Plowboy

Plowboy

I think everything went great for the new location and all. It seems to me like Decatur really managed not to screw things up. I hope it only gets better from here.

It is two days later and I am still hung over.

6. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Magnet! You and the Czars, all the clubs involved, the Red Shirt Army, and the Cities of Decatur and Clinton all combined to do one hell of a job. Especially for a first year at a new venue! I look forward to the HCPU every year, it my favorite show. Keep doing what you're doing. Even with an extra hour of driving, it was well worth it. Thanks!!!!

7. ewt2

ewt2

I had a blast and can't wait 'til next year! The show was great and Clinton was awesome... And I met a ton of very cool people! You guy's did a great job! Big Thanks to the Czars!!!

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I noticed the quality of the cars were noticably better this year!! I was really pleased that the members of the Red Shirt Army were considerate to who was together. We had a crew of 5 cars, and they were very good about letting us in together and park together. The swap meet was Top Notch, plenty of vintage goodies. Vendors were great too, everyone stuck to the theme and offered all kinds of neat vintage goodies.
    I'll bring my own shade next time, but who would have thought it would be 85 and crystal clear out in October here. Excellent time!!!
    Can't wait till next year! I aquired some ideas to make my car better next year, and maybe have another done by then.:D
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

9. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

Thanks for a job WELL DONE.
    DD

10. LITTLE CAR

LITTLE CAR

Thank You...The Oliver bunch had the greatest time!! as always!! many locals came up to us in Clinton & Decatur thanking us for coming to thier town! alot different attitude than we had at Morris!

11. Hellfish

Hellfish

Everywhere I went, townies stopped me and thanked me for bringing the show there. They would just see my Czar shirt and come up to me.

12. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Rockstar status. :D

13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Mike and the rest of the Czars, Redshirts and everybody else involved a BIG thank you for all your time and effort. I had alot of fun, saw alot of awesome cars and got to hangout with the coolest people in the world. Thanks again I'm looking forward to number 10.

14. magnet

magnet

I was trying to post of the thread that Ryan closed.. but he closed it while i was writing this.

-------------------------------------------------------

Wait wait before you close the thread Ryan!!

:)

I find this amusing in a way.. everybody is all up in arms and in a huff puff and ruff..

I bet most of the guys that are moaning about this and that have never tried to organize and run a big show.. or even thought about what it would take..

Its a bunch of "i would do this.. and i would do that.."

Well, got off your computer and do it...

If you even get what the pileup is about... what traditional hot rodding is about.. then you would have enjoyed the drive there and back ... seeing a bunch of cars and people that are like minded.. and some cool stuff.. get a little inspiration... and having a good time..

Regardless of whether you "get in" or not.. seriously..... You cant just have fun driving your hot rod? try it.. its a great!

If you cant do that... why are you on a traditional hot rod and custom message board?.. you should be on a Good Guys/Street Rodder/Gold Chainer board.

I bet it pisses you off that there are no trophies either...

I have been involved with making the show happen since the beginning.. and this is the first year i have even brought a car that fits the criteria.

Hundreds of people are there and get turned away.. its not personal.. so don't take it that way.. people build cars they way they want them... if your mad when you get turned.. maybe you built your car so you could "Fit In"?

You should re-think why you are even working on traditional cars.

Look up to the guys that drive their stuff half way across the USA to go to a show.. they seriously get what this hobby is all about. They are there for the event..

The pileup is about the cars.. not about "getting in".

We have specific criteria.. its our show.. its what we think defines a traditional hot rod or custom. To us.. using parts that were not available '64 and earlier .. will exempt you from entry. Regardless of any story or how cool your car is. Because if you let one criteria item slip.. you have to let them all slip. But also keep in mind that we are human.. and looking at a freaking ton of cars .. dang near all at once.. and mistakes are made. So big deal.

Pre-registration sound great.. but with a criteria show like ours.. that is more than year cutoff.. you cant do it.

They may send you a pic to review .. 6 months go by.. and they have changed their car.. and added digital gauges or dubs or something that would exclude it... or brought a different car.
    Then what?.. managing who registered, is their car the same as the pic.. and refunds on the spot.. with 1000 cars lined up behind them .. all with open headers ... well.. you get the picture.. its untenable. No way it would work with this type of show.

If any of you want to start your own show with different criteria.. feel free... we will even help you out.. give you tips and pointers, tell you what works.. we have experience with this stuff.

I am sure i can speak for everyone on the HAMB in saying that we wan't more traditional shows!

Its pretty simple though.. if you dont like it.. dont come... if you want to bitch.. back it up...

15. truckdude1

truckdude1

Hey Magnet, based on your Czar board posts, I expected your '62 to be something cobbled together at the last minute. Man, it was one sweet ride. Very nice, congratulations.

I spoke to a lot of first time attendees, the biggest complaint was "The show wasn't long enough!". I have to agree, the entire weekend just flew by. Awesome fun and great people.

16. magnet

magnet

:) Thanks.. it was bone stock for about a decade.. i finally modified it a bit.. all my other cars are cobbled together pieces :) or actually just piles of pieces :)

It was a good show.. lots of fun.

Thanks for coming and being part of it.

17. magnet

magnet

This car was cool too.
    [​IMG]

18. magnet

magnet

Nice pickup.
    [​IMG]

19. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

You are all right Magnet, that 40 coupe was sweet with that olds in it, done to just the right tone, makes it timeless. I was wondering if anyone would post a pic of it, I was worrying I was gettin' old. With it's time less beauty and under toned yet evident engineering, this 40 is one of the best non ford powered Fords I have ever seen. I could not take my eyes off of it.

20. magnet

magnet

Piston Jammers!!

Sorry i forgot to thank you guys earlier!!!

You guys rock!.. They helped me park in the afternoon.. standing in the hot sun.. waiting for more cars.. shootin the shit with me and my pop.

I am also coming to your next party :)

21. This was our first Pileup and we had a blast! Thanks to all involved.

22. Did you wear your "Fancy Pants"? Or the "Fancier Pants"?

23. Aw shucks Magnet but really I am just the loudest and most bossy.

I also had to take a huge step back this year - between working 60-80 hrs a week, moving/commuting, planning the wedding, and trying to find a job up in Madison, I just didn't have enough hours in the day. All I did was organize the RedShirts and punt onsite. Joe, Ryan, Craig and DMZ et al really stepped up to the plate this year and took over where Mike and I just couldn't. Y'all did a fantastic job and it shows.

24. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

As long as you dudes have the show, I'll be there.

I think the new place will work out well now that we have the lay of the land in our heads...

25. rooman

rooman

Steve "Willie"" Williams lives three doors down from me and drives the crap out of that truck. I guess that it has looked like this for about 20 years now and Willie has given up on telling people that he is not going to paint it red/black/green or whatever they think it should be. He also has a push bar for the front that he uses at the NHRR cacklefest.

Roo

26. 55_nail

55_nail

Thanks Magnet!
    The Bombers sure appreciate you guys putting on such a great event! we always have a kickass time and being part of it this year was awesome! being there Friday to help set up and getting things going with the swap we got to see the show progress and grow into a major event! it was something to see!

one other thing....i dont know how the parking lot parties were any were else.....but damn! did we have a good time at the Sleep inn...LOL....we made sure to book our rooms for next year that was a blast!!

Rev

27. magnet

magnet

Rooman, Francisco .. a classy traditional rod, not overdone.. gets first bill in my book.

28. bigsam63

bigsam63

To the Czars you guy's are the best.. WOW what a show had a great time hangn with the gang.To the red shirt's man you guy's and gals do a great JOB........#9 i thought was great can't wait for #10 seeya all next year.

29. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I thought things were great as always. Quality of cars was way up in my opinion. Sure I miss some things about Morris, but this venue allows the show to continue and that is what it is about right? My only complaint this year was the opposite of years past..too warm...and I hate the cold :D

30. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

It was sure nice to get to hug you again.....hahahaha but lets keep that between us and 100,000 forum members.......

Now FINISH THE PANHEAD>>>>>>>>>

Shoe