Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hunnert, first time there.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gonmad, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

Wow,those trucks suck,and seem to be the latest trend!

2. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

HA HAH HAHAHAH What a SHITBOX! LOL
    [​IMG]

3. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I would love to have that as my daily driver, but I get the "big" wheel thing.

4. Thats a previous year at Morris.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Each time I read something like this...it definitely reminds me of the "old days," those "I hate chopped Model A's" days when restorers played the same game with rodders...

IF clubs like the Chrome Czars are going to put on a "traditional" show, then they need to spell out what's going to get in, and what won't -- EXACTLY. Ryan did it with his "send me a picture and I'll tell you if I'll allow it" HAMB drags. Yep, takes big balls and man-power...but if the club is going to limit, it'd better be spelled out.

If I had driven 1000 miles to attend and I couldn't get in because I have an "old man" tilt wheel in my "trad" '55 Caddy kustom, or my whitewall radials, I'd be a lot more upset than Gonmad is, and I seldom get upset.

Guess that's why I don't go to events that limit participation.

R-

6. Warbird7

Warbird7

No excuse for that '58 not gettin' in. It certainly has "the look". Never noticed the size of the wheels.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  7. I'd let you in my Reliability run ROger................but I would also tease you about the tilt column all day.:D

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I agree that wagon should have been let in regardless of the rear wheel diameter. It's close enough and the wheels 'fit the look' of the show. It's a coin flip really. (I would have let it in and then got shit from the "it has 17" wheel crowd)

Then adding insult to injury he walks around and has to see the trucks in the show... that had to be tough.

Its not easy to get 20 or so people on the same page with what gets in and what doesn't get in.

I'll guarantee you that the person who let the trucks in and turned the wagon away were two different people.

I would classify the wagon and the trucks as mistakes... lets not brand the Czars and the Red Shirt army as 'ego maniacs.' They are just trying to make the show the best it can be and sometimes there are some judgement errors.

9. :eek:

but... now it has a "blower" :D

[​IMG]

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This thread has become nauseating... It all kind of embarrasses me. I guess it shouldn't - people are people... and I suck with people... But the dogpile message board thing just ruins me. I feel responsible some how.

I think each side of this argument has merit, but the people clutter the messages with poorly thought out jabs at the gut. It's mean spirited. It's just dumb.

Let's say I support the action taken at the gate and want to express my opinion... Why throw a right cross and smash the guy's wagon? It destroys your argument and, in my opinion, your legitimacy.

Let's say I think it was a poor decision... Why call a bunch of guys names and drop examples or gas to the fire? Why not state your opinion on its own merits? Use your brain... not your wit.

I dunno... I think this thread started out very well and constructive. Now, I think it just sucks. And I'm guessing it got that way from folks that didn't even attend the show... Folks like me...

Embarrassed.

I'll close this eventually... I'm sure of it.

11. Plowboy

Plowboy

Yes, because it was obviously "upgraded" for this years show. ha ha

I am delighted because out of the 735 pictures you could only come up with 5 "case in point" examples, which is only 0.68%, which actually does more to favor their judgement than discredit it. That says a lot for the show.

Would I have let it in? You bet, but I am too lazy to work the show (or volunteer for anything for that matter) because I am a selfish prick. I also see a trend that the most vocal critics of the criteria were not even at the show. The gentleman who started this post isn't really even that mad about it, just asking for clarity.

12. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

In before the lock, maybe...

1) cool wagon
    2) shit happens
    3) It's clear from Ryan's sentiment, the Czars comments and the original poster that there are no hard feelings, just a difficult situation.

13. Yeah, really I think guys like Ryan, Mercdueceman and HotRodChassis have summed it up best.

I did not take the initial post as bitching, whining or anything. Sounds like he had a terrific day with his kids and a great drive in one cool wagon. I do however think it was a mistake. The car clearly captures the spirit of a traditional well done wagon that get's driven.

I volunteer every year and the one job I would not want would be an inspector. Two of my friends had really nice cars and got turned down as well, but they walked thru the gates, didn't piss and moan and had a great day at the Pileup.

I would like to voice my opinion though, rules or not.

This does not capture the spirit of a traditional hot rod in my humble opinion. No knock on it, I hope they built it, had fun and drive the shit out of it.

[​IMG]

While this is a gorgeous wagon that captures the feel and spirt and was driven in.

[​IMG]

14. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Please don't close it. Dogpiling sucks, but having this thread show up Monday after the pile up every year is worse. I feel the Czars need to find a way to clarify the criteria or turn more cars away than they do. Eventually a spark of an idea will come out of all this crap and it will make the whole world a better place.:)

15. Here is the Criteria for those that have not read it.

http://www.hunnertcarpileup.com/criteria/

Like I said previously, I like the wagon. My 54 would not get in either for lack of two major mods.

16. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

That wagon should have been let in. Its so bad ass and more "period correct" than some vehicles that got in. However, the quality of cars did seem to be up this year and I think there were less "shock rods" and "rat rods" which was awesome. It's gotta be a tough job inspecting so I have to get some credit for those with that job.

17. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

The L.A.Roadsters Father's Day show is sort of handled this way: The primary show area is restricted to cars that meet the criteria and were invited (most of the vendors are in this area as well), a second area is open to "other" rods, customs, etc. and the third area is the swap meet.

It's three events in one ... choose the area that appeals to you and walk on by the others if they are of no interest. It seems to work for the L.A.Roadsters as they have been doing it this way successfully for a long time and I haven't heard of too many complaints.

18. This is true! I had forgotten about that. All the times I've been to the LARS, it's fun to be in the roadsters display with the shaded parking and free pewter mug etc.. but we also had fun driving the coupe some years and parking in the other area. I don't recall anyone complaining that they didn't drive a pre-36 open car.

To the Czars: this format has worked for years and would be worth a look into it.

19. hvychvy

hvychvy

I know Jimmy,his family and car,Czars loss for shure:(

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Thumbs up on your wagon. Looks good to me. I dig the wheels.

21. HA! An honest man. I'd salute you but I feel uncomfortable showing admiration for fear that's actually you in your avatar. :D

AMEN! My neighbor made the cut last year but was declined this year. He parked his coupe outside and still enjoyed the day with his friends.

22. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

WOW what a discussion ! As many have stated i have been to may pile ups and some of our crew got rejected. But they just parked in the lot and had a good time inside with the rest of us.
    Maybe when this thread dies we can start another one with my pet pieve " those damn trailers !!!!"

Pile Up 2010 was awesum!!!!!!!! Cant wait until next year !!!!!!!

23. gonmad

gonmad

Sorry Ryan! LOL. Didn't expect this!

24. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

There needs to be a "common sense" discussion with the gate keepers prior to the show.
    There's zero justification for that wagon not getting in, and the "statement cars" and rat rods being allowed to enter.

I shot two cars from the event: One was a car that was cut down little Model A built in '57, stored in '76 and just pulled out three weeks ago. It was on a single-axle trailer behind a really nice green bagged Chevy... and he told me he was almost denied entry by someone telling him "No trailered cars!" It was resolved with a phone call to someone higher up on the food chain.

That said, I was very impressed with the pre-staging in the two parking lots to get the cars off the public roads and clear up traffic. A LOT of shows could benefit from that kind of entry method. A little more guidance by the crew and the police would make that process flawless next year. As someone said, let them file in by row, and proceed by row to help people shut their cars down to cool off.

-Brad

25. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

26. the-rodster

the-rodster

Stupid rules suck!

They let the shitty cars in, and keep the cool cars out.

Stick to a model year designation, and let anybody in that pays.

Rich

27. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. Looks like they let 5 shitty cars in and kept 1 cool wagon out.

I suggest looking at this thread and try again.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520033

28. I don't think you had to be there to see that a "common sense" discussion with the gate keepers may be in order.

JH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.