Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hunnert, first time there.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gonmad, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deadbird

Deadbird

No complaints here. Just glad I could finally help out. Free coffee and pastry, early entry, t-shirt and a cool lunch box to boot. It's all just icing on the cake. FWIW - nobody hassled me at all either. Just a great day.

Sorry the wagon didn't make it in. Sure is a sweet ride.

By the way, Catherine please don't ask me to judge cars next year. I can't do that. People would really bitch if I tried. :eek: That's a tough job. I'll just work the pedestrian gate and point to the bathrooms if that's OK.

2. It's been mentioned a few times that rejected entries could be parked in a central location. I think this idea should be discussed in greater detail in the coming months.

With the ample spectator parking available it seems a reasonable alternative. In fact, if an entry were to receive a Pile-Up decal with "REJECTED" superimposed over the art it may become a sought-after sticker, proudly displayed by the recipient. If the recipient left the sticker on the vehicle during the show season it would help to better define the unique criteria of the Pile-Up to others.

I know I would make it a point to walk through the "Anti Pile-Up" area and appreciate those who were turned away.

Of course the downside would be a free show outside the gate that could diminish spectator attendance but I doubt many could look into the grounds and not spend $5.00 to check it out.

3. rooman

rooman

DW,
    you must have misunderstood the intent of my comment. I understand that there are benefits to being a red shirt but they also get to put up with a lot of crap and quite often miss out on some of the show (depending on their level of dedication). I did not intend to piss you off, I usually save that for my dealing with Hellfish and Django<G>.

Roo

4. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I guess one thing everyone should remember is that there are different people in each line. Some people may not be as stict as others too. I would have not let that cool wagon in either. Helll i would not let radial tires in either if it was my show. Rules are stated and people should be able to figure it out. Either do some research or ask questions.

5. davidh73750

davidh73750

do they check under the hood at hunnert? I got my eye on a 59 wagon and was going to run a TBI (as is )motor cause I have it. The rest was going to be to criteria so not sure I'd get in?:confused:

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Are radials on a Full Fender build not allowed?
    if so, guess I will just drive the daily

7. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Keep the hood closed... don't ask don't tell.

As long as they aren't low profile or raised white letter, the tires shouldn't keep you out.

I didn't inspect this year, but I have in the past. If you are unsure if your car will fit the criteria... send a PM to one of the Czars. Lots of times its just a question like these that can be answered via PM.

Then look over the criteria and look at your car. If you are unsure of any of it, contact the Czars. They will help you out. It will keep things running smooth at the gate and keep you and everyone in line behind you happy.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like many reading this I may have let it in. But the reality is, like many said, their show/rules. So let's look at the rules. Are the wagon's wheels more in keeping with the "look" than say, 16" or 17" TQs? Yes. Sadly they aren't 15s but they had the "look" and what's a car show about? How the cars look and feel and looking at em and being looked at, just what attendees want on foot or in their cars. Today's builders tend to make changes for the better in all regards. Sure there's GG and other venues for unbridaled changes but those shows don't capture the soul of what many in our world have. I agree with the decision based on the current status quo of the show's rules for now but how serious should they be taken? Why take ourselves so serious? Serious fun and commraderie is what it's all about. If it's close it should be allowed to participate with it's peers. Now this is just my opinion and it's based on reviews of past Pileups and early shows in general.

Ryan nailed it. Hard fuckin work, dedicated staff and founders, sometimes thankless, sometimes rewarding beyond words. But still I have to ask in my best "JOKER" impression, "Why so serious?" Hard rules are for marque-specific and points judging. Also for both sides, since we all are like a band of brothers here, what's so hard about sending a PM or an email to ask? Send a pic and be proud of your ride and ask the staff or founders if they'd like to have you and if you fit their criteria. Do it in a timely fashion since the last 4-5 weeks before the show are probably the busiest, you know, courtesy? Just my observations of this gig and a show I clearly wish to attend some day. Would a car with a mega sound system get bumped out even if was hidden? Just curious.

9. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

not to take anything away from what you were saying and you do have a point, but just for the sake of education that statement above is not exactly true. i've got a set of 17" Chevy Artillery wheels from the 40s... granted they are like 4" wide. LOL ...i'm just sayin. :D

10. Give 'em the sticker and charge 'em $10 to park in the "Anti Pile-Up" area... biggest whiner or complainer wins a cry-baby doll and an old bowling trophy. :D

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

LOL i love it Larry!!

12. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

As a red shirt, I can tell you I deal with very little bitching, complaints, or anything negative until I get on the HAMB. Why do I get on here anymore?!?

Sweet wagon. Love it. I would drive the wheels off of it (no pun intended)! Would I have let it in...who knows? I sure am glad I dont work inspection. I was the moron handing out stuff AFTER the inspections...low stress job!

Please don't complain about your car not getting in. For those who get it, this weekend was not about where you park, it was about being there. I was frankly amazed my '49 made it in...but if it didn't make it I woulda parked outside just the same like I have for the past 4 years.

I am sorry if the most important part of your weekend involved getting your wagon into another show, but this is not "just another show".

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Hard rules, notwithstanding safety and administration issues, detract from the fun of car shows.

I didn't go to the show, but hearing all of the dissent tells me something ain't right.
    If the people putting on the show had succeeded in controlling the event to most people's satisfaction, that's success. Sounds like they failed.

Maybe they don&#8217;t have a grip on what is a real hot rod or Kustom and what ain&#8217;t. I noticed something, don&#8217;t know where it was but one of the rules was that &#8220;rims and tires&#8217; had to be 60s or before style. If that is correct, they might be confused themselves. I don&#8217;t recall people in the 60s referring to wheels as &#8216;rims&#8217;. Small thing, yea, but an illustration of how people get wrapped around the axle about shit that don't matter. Something about carburetors can't be painted, again if I'm wrong, but that's bullshit if it is a rule. I know of guys painting their carburetors on hot rods in the 50s.

I sense from a lot of hot rodders that they would rather see cars outside of the box in a show than to have some controversial exclusion as a result of a mis-interpretation by a guy deciding who gets in and who don't. Like somebody said, for points judging, marquee specific, or bone stock original, there is enough controversy, but with traditional hot rods the brush is a lot broader. A lot of people have this cookie cutter vision of what a traditional hot rod is, clouded some more by what 'looks better' and what joe-expert's book says, and anything different is, to him, wrong. The fact is, going back to 'the day' a lot more people did it different than what some of you kids would like to believe.

Lighten up and enjoy the show.

14. 4 pages of yammering about this & you know what sticks out in my mind?????

This guy drove 7 hours in a cool 50 year old car with 2 kids (& all the gear 2 little kids require) under age 6 in back..... & he got turned away because his rear wheels were 1" too big!?!?!?!! If your damn car show is that "important", I don't want any part of it.

At the end of the day, no matter how many rules you have, what your criteria are, how many "Red Shirts" are given the power to pick, or how great the cars in attendance are....... it's just a damn car show.

Some promoters should check their egos & get over themselves. You're not curing cancer . IT'S JUST A DAMN CAR SHOW.

JH

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  15. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

If it were me running the gate, there would have been less than a 100 cars on the grounds. even mine would have been parked on the outside. Just based on the rules and my own personal preference.

An argument could be made for or against 95% of the cars that were on both sides of the lot.....even some "club" cars.

The problem is when you use specific criteria to define what gets in or not you lose sight of the big picture....the car as a whole. the wagon is bitchin and a good example of cars that I like. there was a yellow 37 or 38 chevy sedan, chopped, with 15" ralleyes that i thought was disgusting and a perfect example of cars that I don't like. The sedan got in because it didn't break any rules but was a terrible car, the wagon was cut because it didn't fit the rules but i think it fits in what a large number of us would consider a cool car.

Did everyone see the "pumkin express"? Did anyone go "wow what a cool car"? prolly not, should that car have been in there? By rule yes, by popular vote, not likely.

I feel the only way to do this is like they did in an old gladiator arena. A panel of 3 to 5 judges sits up real high and looks down on the cars coming in and give s thumbs up or thumbs down. Majority rules for in or out.

Oh yeah then you kill anyone that complains, eliminating problems next year.:D

16. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

That's a bigger, more important point, than all of the narrow minded replies that justify to his being turned away.

For you guys that think that
    "This show is more important than the individual, ain't about where he can park, or if he can buy beer without walking a mile and getting a permit, or enjoying myself?

Bullshit.

17. Mac_55

Mac_55

I loved the show as stated in my other posts , I was walking out and you actually parked the nomad about 4 rows away from me . I could see the roof line and new exactly which car it was , I told the boys we couldnt leave without getting a few more shots of it . I grabbed some pics when you passed through shelbyville on the power tour 5 years or so ago. I gotta admit that i was pretty shocked to see it in the parking lot . I just told the boys that you probably didnt want to enter so you could enjoy the show more without worrying about the car.

Here are a couple pictures i took.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

FN Awsome :D

19. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Well - I have talked to many, many people about this over the past years...and I see 1st hand what each show does different to distinguish their show from the others.

I think if there were a special parking area for rides that dont get in....that would help the cognitive dissonance that occurs when certain vehicles are denied entry. This is what Relix Riot & Symco Shakedown have set up and, in the past, has seemed to work really well. Those that were not allowed "in" had a special place that everyone could still check out their cars.

Indy Road Rockets, Rust Revival and Greaserama seem to be self regulating........they dont deny near as many cars - if any....but those that dont fit the "spirit" of the show usually understand what is up once they get there. And dont come back cause they felt outta place.

I think Mr Cooper (Indy Road Rockets) stated "cars are merely a way to get to the event in order to have a good time" I get that 100% - but there are a lot of people out there that feel personally rejected, as if their car was a part of themsleves. For those guys that dont get into the Pile Up.....you should still try to have a good time - cause honestly - you are at the greatest single day car show in the world.

There are always gonna be those that want it their way (too strict - not strict enough - heck....my buddy Hemidave wants to do a show where NO Small Block Chevys are allowed in!) - and I say to those - do your own show and everyone will have to follow your rules.

Until then - we all follow the Chrome Czars rules - becuase the Czars rule!

20. ryno

ryno

dont mention it and open your hood, no one will know.
    radials are ok on a full fendered ride, safety, preference wise
    true. i sit corrected, but those artillery wheels dont fit a 58 wagon

21. gonmad

gonmad

Thanks for the comments guys, especially from those involved and Ryan.

I will say again that the point was not to bitch or whine about "not getting in", but rather to let the Czars know that if they are going to be specific, then they need to be specific on the site's "qualification" list. And so that this won't happen to others that appear to be "qualified". Because the only thing said was "reminicant" of the 60's and earlier...NOT exactly like it. The tires weren't lo pros so I "thought" it was fine. I was wrong!
    The reason it ruined my day is because after that I got a bad attitude, shouldn't have but like you all, it happens! Then just not being prepared with the kids and crap and not having the car "right there" for them. And the guy at the spectator entrance said I couldn't go back outside after I went in didn't help much either! But it is what it is!

If there is a SPECIFIC thing that you are looking for or not wanting, then just post it in the criteria please, and TRY to be consistant about it. I know we are all human and do screw up, but maybe for next year and others just try some of that please.

Thanks for the compliments guys, and Tman it does also have 180 holes in the hood.....maybe that's not a big enough mod for you, but maybe you just didn't know that! LOL!

22. Maybe you want to talk to the CHARITIES that recieve the proceeds donated EACH YEAR from the show?

23. Deadbird

Deadbird

I love it! Might have to put on some modern wheels just to get the rejected sticker.

24. Those charities would probably appreciate the proceeds from one more car being entered.

Props to the Czars for donating!

JH

25. Stu55

Stu55
    from Dallas Tx

I wouldn't mind being rejected, but I don't leave my car in any parking lot and walk off and leave it. Too many vehicles being stolen , and this is a perfect setup for thieves. Not likely it would be stolen in the show, but the parking lot is another story altogether.

26. Then you only drive your car to shows? Never anyplace else?

Some of you folks are grasping for straws.

27. That's sort've my point on pre-registering... personally I probably would have let his car through the gate because although it does have 17" wheels and rubber... it at least fit's close to "the look" from my perspective.

Conversely from looking at this thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520033 I see a whole bunch of "stuff" I would not have let in.

Just a few examples from the thread and I'm not trying to make the OP feel any worse... but uhhhhhmmm... these don't quite "fit" from my standpoint. I don't recall ever seeing stuff like this in any of my old mans hot-rod magazines from the 50's & 60's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Must be some sort of "truck thing"... frankly I walk right past this kind of stuff at any show I attend. :rolleyes:

Then again... who am I to judge? They can at least drive their rides. :)

Upon further inspection...

Attached Files:

• wtf.JPG
      wtf.JPG
      File size:
      281.3 KB
      Views:
  28. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Nice wagon!!! Sucks that you drove from MO for a car event to be denied at the gate & some other "cars" were in the pix from the event that were "interesting"..........It is even worse that you had your little ones with you and you had to park on the outside........you would have thought that they would have looked in the back seat and said "Go have some fun".......I guess not........Oh well.......lesson << learned?

Oh yea, I read this post early this morning and thought "That Sucks!" that this guy drove from a long flippin' way with his chump kids to be denied and the he was leveled headed enough to walk away.....and park in the "lot"......with your chump kids.......and then you tried to enjoy the show.

Maybe they can do the pre-reg. thing next year, so guys don't have to drive a long distance for an event.

Chris

29. The "Red Shirts" must have seen those trucks coming, got the shits & ran for the can while the staff of OSR held the gate open.

How else can you explain turning that '58 wagon away & letting this crap in?

JH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.