Register now to get rid of these ads!

Long Beach Motorama (SHOWCASE of KUSTOMS)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John D'Agostino, Oct 11, 2010.

1. John D'Agostino

John D'Agostino

I'd like to get some feedback from people who attended this HISTORIC Event. If you are into KUSTOMS ... it was like going to HEAVEN!!! It was the Perfect 10 Event in my opinion. You will see in the next couple of months all the magazine coverage it will get around the WORLD. I'm sending a C/D over to my SWEDEN magazine contact... they will run it within the next 4-5 weeks. Hope we can make the cover. I'll keep you posted.

Kustoms Forever,
    John D'Agostino

2. Looked like a great show. A trip to LB is in the cards for me next year for sure. Thanks for your continued support of the Kustom scene all these years John and welcom to the HAMB

3. John D'Agostino

John D'Agostino

Thanks... It's always a pleasure talking to Kustom people. They are the "BEST"!!!

4. John Denich

John Denich

It was the best show for a Kustom owner and a lover of Kustoms...to have my 51 Chevy on the Avenue of Dreams for this show was a great honour! we need more of these type shows all over the country to showcase Kustoms and the different types of Kustoms from all over the Country!

5. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

We really enjoyed this show , being from Texas we don't get to see very many quality built and finished kustoms , and that is the main reason we made the trip. I will tell you that we all had a great time and enjoyed seeing all the work that was put into this show , this thing will be one of the biggest kustom car shows on the circuit for sure. We know how hard Trace and his crew worked to put this amazing show on, and all involved should be highly commended. I agree with both John's, and hope other people recognize and promote the resurgence of the kustoms and open up more shows like this around the country. That is our two cents ,we want to again thank all the owners of the cars and the promoters for getting this show rolling. Hope to be there next year with something new!

6. GREAT show, I love your work, and welcome aboard!

7. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

I would agree with John and add that was the best custom car show i have ever been at. The show floor had most well built custom i have seen in one place. Plus there was so much history there from builders to cars. The only thing missing was the spectators and those will come in time. Great job ,Trace and crew

8. John D'Agostino

John D'Agostino

Already looking forward to next years show... Johnny D'

9. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Did not make it, but the photos posted here on the HAMB were stunning. Thanks John. Slim

10. It was a very special event for my wife and I. Probably the best show i've ever been to for many reasons. suffice it to say that we will be there next year and every year. Trace knocked it out of the park.
    Thanks to Trace and crew, and everyone who built and showed and traveled to make this thing happen.

11. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Other than the best of show award being a complete joke the show was amazing!

12. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I had really a fantastic time. It had more of a Art Festival feeling, as opposed to the carnival feel of GNRS. Don't get me wrong, GNRS is a great show and should be a National Treasure. But the LBM was a showcase of high-end works of automotive art. Walking around that well air conditioned arena was pure pleasure --no popcorn smell, no tight isles. And I liked that I could get close to most of the cars, look in and under them.
    Despite what appeared like a low attendance, I hope it doesn't impact future LBMs at the same location. I'm sure the first show was a hurdle, and now that word is spreading, I can see future shows booming.

13. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

Welcome, John...I've been an admirer of your cars for years!

14. Kreepy

Kreepy
    from Austin, Tx

Show was totally far out! Special thanks to trace and crew. My wife and i had the time of our lives out there. I can only hope we have the means to make it out next year.

15. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

it was great, i wished for more cars though, but at the same time i liked that it wasnt overwelming or crowded.

16. HRod 50

HRod 50

It was a great show. I would have liked to have scene more vehicles. I dont know what the criteria was for the cars kept outside but I think anything pre 1965 should have been allowed if the cars were tastefully done or finished. There was a horrible looking 50 Merc coupe that was in the process of being built that was an eyes sore. I would have rather scene a roadster than that car. More cars equals more people. The more people we can have our cars scene by means more interest we can generate. The obvious stars of the show are the Kustoms but it would have been nice to see all types "Classic-ish" cars. Maybe allowing Kustoms the prime spots outside, and the stock vehicles to fill spaces would have given it a better show appearance.

This show should be an event. Most folks into Kustoms are characters anyway so we should show it. Maybe a cool band, special tattoo artists, and professional "Betty Pages" wouldnt be a bad idea just until the show really starts to increase its attendance. I know this all sounds "hokey", but if this show doesnt sell tickets it isnt going to be around.

AS long as the Kustoms are the Stars then all the fluff doesnt make a difference to me. We need people to attend this Show!. :)

Please, those of you who did not attend. Don't respond to my post, with your ideas of how to mak this show better. If it meant that much to you you would have been there. We all knew about it, and had plenty of time to set up the travel arrangements to attend. I rearranged my vacation to be there, my friend Bob flew from BC, Canada on the week of his wife's birthday to be there. So no excuses....

17. Saturday I was up in a little town west of fresno announcing the drags. one of the guys hanging out was from santa maria. probably in his late 60's. he and his lady drove in to LB for the weekend. his take on things... "I think that was the best show i've ever been to". I agree.

18. brokenman

brokenman

I loved it too.I want to finish my car and try to get it entered into the show.Thhe show was so much better than most other shows.The only other would be the roadster show.You should try to get a buliding during the roadster show as a precurser to the big long beach show.Like a teaser show.Just a thought.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

First off, overall, this was a fantastic show and everyone that can needs to go next year-if you have a car to show, just a spectator or a parts vendor be there!!. I traveled down from Nor Cal to So Cal for a few different things. Saturday morning went to Cruisin' For A Cure Show, in Costa Mesa. After that drove up to Long Beach to pick up my Sister and head to the LB Motorama. Surprised to hear that there was not much local promotion of show. Not even signs out that a show was going on, or where to park for spectator entrance. Spectator entrance from closest parking lot was like walking in the back door. No signs about the lakeside part of show and the auction.
    Did not find any show T-shirts or posters. Very few other spectators for a late Saturday afternoon. But, once past all of that we were blown away by the way the cars were displayed and the high caliber of the cars in the main building. WOW!!! My Sister had never been to a genuine car show before and loved it. The lakeside show was great too! So, for the spectator fee you got two great shows for one price. Know that it is a very big job and very expensive to put on such a show. Thanks to everyone involved. Also, know that next year's show will even be better. Saw ads for this show in lots of different publications. But, needs more local promotion. People just driving by may not even know about show and signs by main roads may help bring them in. Possibly a deal could be worked out with the nearby Shoreline Village to put a couple of cars on display with discount coupons at a few places to also draw more people that do not know about show. Handing out fliers at other local events may help too. Sure that you guys know what needs to be done. Thanks Again!

20. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I was born & raised in Long Beach, and can remember the old Roth & Kustom shows from the past................this show had that vibe!

Whyle I don't agree on everyones' oppion on what a kustom is and isn't, with few exceptions, every vehicle indoors belonged there. Talking with the real kustom guys from another era was a major plus!

I sure hope that Trace at least broke even on this production, and if held again that the same standards of quality are upheld. Please don't turn this into a cattle call for everything built without door handles e.g. GoodGuys events all over the country. Trying to make "Kustom'' into a household word won't improve the breed, only denominate its' value.

'' The ice cream truck in his neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter "

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

22. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Hey John welcome to the HAMB!!

I'm currently capturing 15 hours of footage and should have it on DVD Soon!

Piero

23. Thanks brother, but I've been here for years. Signed, John Randazzo;):p

24. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

We had a great time at the show and Trace, Riun and crew did a fantastic job.

25. I worked the show with Trace,Piero(EVIL),and it was a great event! Since it was the first one,Trace will step back and look over what worked and what didn't and come back next year with an even better show. Being the same weekend as the Cruisin for a Cure,didn't help. But the show has such great potential. The pictures and Piero's DVD will tell the whole story. Customs have always been my favorite,and I remember the shows from when I was a kid,especially at the Great Western Exibit Hall.
    Good to see you on here John....

26. Welcome aboard John, you should be happy here, lots of swell guys and gals! Later, Michael Overcash

27. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

John you are right it was special that is why I had 2 cars there. Next year I will have a custom there if I finish it.

28. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I loved the show and plan on attending next year.

29. chip chipman

chip chipman

Johnny D, Sorry I missed you in Long Beach. went Friday And Saturday. Like some of the shows from the old days. I was blown away Friday when we walked outside and the band playing sounded like Lydia Pence and Cold Blood. Took me back to Frisco an the Avalon Ballroom and Filmore, really brought the feel of an old week end.

30. big creep

big creep

loved the show! and your work! thanks!